Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, Archiver said:

Interesting, why so much more with the M-A vs the M7? How long / how many rolls did it take you to become sufficiently adept at manual exposure? This is the issue I have with buying a M-A; I'm so used to automatic exposure with the M9 and M7 that I'm concerned I'd waste a lot of film before achieving dependable skill.

First i started metering several moments a day without shooting, just for building up references. Day after day after day after week etc. 

After a while you notice that sunny 16 is really a good starting point, so i started by just following the sunny 16 rule mixed with my own experiences and references.

I really didn't lost a roll of film shifting to this kind of metering, maybe in the beginning just one or two shots per roll with high contrast situations.

As said, shooting with the M-A is an addiction! If i had to sell my Leica M camera's and i could keep one, it would be the M-A.

On 21/3/2019 at 22:01, Paul Verrips said:

Es una adicción ...... Le disparo al MA el 95% del tiempo y al M7 el 5%.

Have you been able to verify if with the MA, it makes better pictures than with the M2? ..
Thank you

41 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

Have you been able to verify if with the MA, it makes better pictures than with the M2? ..
Thank you

No, I did not shoot M-A & M2 together, so i can't tell you about the results by experience.
But the M-A has the clearer viewfinder and is of course newer and i think newer is better according to reliability in the future. But i also love the M2, but my M2 (and M4 & M7) has more a life as a show horse than as a working horse. For me the M-A is the working horse.

12 minutes ago, Paul Verrips said:

No, no disparé a MA y M2 juntos, por lo que no puedo contarles los resultados por experiencia.
Pero el MA tiene un visor más claro y, por supuesto, es más nuevo y creo que más nuevo es mejor de acuerdo con la confiabilidad en el futuro. Pero también me encanta el M2, pero mi M2 (y M4 y M7) tiene más vida como caballo de exhibición que como caballo de trabajo. Para mí el MA es el caballo de trabajo.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Posted (edited)

I still have these cameras and love films.  But frankly, I shoot fewer films than those days as the film facilities are a bit limited in London and I have two M Digital cameras.

Edited by Cyril Jayant

15 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Todavía tengo estas cámaras y me encantan las películas. Pero, francamente, filmo menos películas que esos días y que las instalaciones de la película son un poco limitadas en Londres y tengo dos cámaras digitales M.

Your information is compressible.
I love this photo.
The composition and B & B very successful.
Could you tell us the used equipment and the editing program used? ....
Thank you.
a greeting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Dopaco said:

Your information is compressible.
I love this photo.
The composition and B & B very successful.
Could you tell us the used equipment and the editing program used? ....
Thank you.
a greeting

Hi Dopaco,

Thank you and I am glad you like this photo.

This photo was taken by M8 and processed through Adobe bridge/ through camera RAW and just finished in Photoshop Cc and that is a simple flow I always use. 

Photoshop for me just to check light /slight contrast check or convert to high bit rates if I use it for internet use.    

Best.

Cyril

My two cents, I have both an M7 and a MP-4, I like them equally. I have an MR-4 meter for the MP-4 but choose to use a new Voightlander digital meter on the 4. I have shot without a meter but these days I just prefer a little help.

Hi,

Interesting to see discussion about film cameras... For me they are just light boxes with more or less help, not the same as digital. For me the most important is its "sensor" (well the film then 🙂 ) the lens, and the process after the picture has been taken... Dev, scan, print or not, etc... 

So film only, why not if it corresponds to what you expect from photography. It is just a media among others, very tempting of course for its organic feel... 

Just my 2 cents...

On 4/17/2019 at 3:36 AM, Myvalko said:

Hi,

Interesting to see discussion about film cameras... For me they are just light boxes with more or less help, not the same as digital. For me the most important is its "sensor" (well the film then 🙂 ) the lens, and the process after the picture has been taken... Dev, scan, print or not, etc... 

So film only, why not if it corresponds to what you expect from photography. It is just a media among others, very tempting of course for its organic feel... 

Just my 2 cents...

I have tried almost all film camera systems and film formats.

None of them were like M with Summarit 35. 

Yeah, the rest is light boxes. But m with m is the right tool for me.

Not for everything, but for something I like.

Even more not every film M feels like right tool for me. :)

To me photocamera is the tool for quick and intuitive operation.

Same like with digital, some film cameras never ment to be quick and intuitive:)

Cameras are tools used to accomplish different tasks. It is counterproductive to say ' I only want to shoot film / digital'. Choose the right camera for the subject matter. I shoot digital when digital is required (I spent 14 months following a flock of 700 pigeons in flight that could not have been done with my M4 -- I used my Nikon D850), and film when film is required (almost all of my street photography).

Don't put yourself in a box. Your work will suffer.

Hi all! 

I use both, depending on the situation. My M240 and my M6 are always with me. I use my M6 with the Voigtlander 1.9/28mm. My favourate film is the Ilford XP2-400 because I can let it developed around the world in any C41 lab. Other b/w film I love: ars-imago 320, Rollei Retro 80, CineStill 800T for special colours. A special tip for everyone visiting Hong Kong: Let yr films be developed by showa_f lab (feel free to google for it). I had a great experience! If you want to get prints then camerafilmphoto is THE address. Great experience too.

Posted (edited)

Interesting topic. Having sold almost all of my Nikon/Canon gear (ex wedding photographer), I was planning to buy a Leica 10M-P and an MP film, both new. All the Leica stores I called told me the MP's are in extremely short supply. I bought a chrome MP body a month ago and have been researching lenses. But yesterday one of the stores contacted me saying they have a black MP in stock. I love the MP, so I bought the black one too!  Now I have two film MP's and no more budget left for digital.  Although owning two leica film bodies has always been a dream, part of me is telling me I've gone crazy. Have I gone crazy?

Edited by phototrope

vor 3 Minuten schrieb phototrope:

Interesting topic. Having sold almost all of my Nikon/Canon gear (ex wedding photographer), I was planning to buy a Leica 10M-P and an MP film, both new. All the Leica stores I called told me the MP's are in extremely short supply. I bought a chrome MP body a month ago and have been researching lenses. But yesterday one of the stores contacted me saying they have a black MP in stock. I love the MP, so I bought the black one too!  Now I have two film MP's and no more budget left for digital.  Although owning two leica film bodies has always been a dream, part of me is telling me I've gone crazy. Have I gone crazy?

No totally normal here  😉!!! And I bet (own experiences) there will follow some other film M's. 

2 hours ago, phototrope said:

You've done the right thing, one for b&w and one for colour... 

2 hours ago, phototrope said:

Be sure to keep them apart as I find they breed if left alone together.

I switched from shooting professionally full digital to full analog half a year ago.

Even if it’s more work, I so much love the outcome.

Normally I shoot about 20-30 rolls a day, once a week. Color and black&white. Develop myself.

beside switching to Leica best move ever.

heiko

Am 24.3.2019 um 13:47 schrieb Paul Verrips:

First i started metering several moments a day without shooting, just for building up references. Day after day after day after week etc. 

After a while you notice that sunny 16 is really a good starting point, so i started by just following the sunny 16 rule mixed with my own experiences and references.

I really didn't lost a roll of film shifting to this kind of metering, maybe in the beginning just one or two shots per roll with high contrast situations.

As said, shooting with the M-A is an addiction! If i had to sell my Leica M camera's and i could keep one, it would be the M-A.

I agree, shooting without a meter is somehow different... feels a lot different at least.

I prefer the M2 over the MA, more character. (;

For my professional work I take two M2s with 35 and 50, one b/w one color.

heiko