Only film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't shot a single frame of film since I bought my M240 3 1/2 years ago. I sold my MP, which was my "camera for life, 50th Birthday present". I still have my M2, my first ever Leica.

My scanners are still in the boxes into which they were packed when we moved house 3 years ago and I don't expect them to be out of there any time soon. My developing tanks are in a cardboard box on the shelf.

Do I miss film? Honestly? No.

Will I ever start shooting it again? Honestly? Probably no.

Do I get much better results through shooting digitally? Definitely.

Yeaeahh, scanning is difficult and quite expensive if you want it real good. I sometimes wonder if people are comparing the right things. Digital photography with a digital endproduct, for instance an image on a 5K Retina iMac, gives mostly better results than scanned photo’s from 35mm film. I doubt however, whether 36 digital post card prints from a digital camera are better than 36 chemical prints from film. What we see here on the forum are not those analogue endproducts.

• Like 2

They are "better" because I think that they are "better". They are my photographs and I am happy with them. Happier than with my thousands and thousands of film photographs.

There is no discussion. I only have myself and my family to please.

Whether anyone thinks that digital/ film photographs are better or just different from each other, is of no importance, really. 

If anyone likes my photographs, whether film or digital, that's a bonus, but it's not why I take them.

• Like 7

There's that word again. What is "better" is very subjective. Why do we always talk about comparable things as being "better", rather than simply different.

Right, it just types faster. Perhaps I meant ‘satisfying’. This week I heard for the first time since the onset of digital photography of someone who starts with photography and is in the process of buying a camera, deciding deliberately for film. It’s the girlfriend of my son, 23 years old. Reason: the endproduct. She doesn’t like sharing photo’s on digital devices. She wants to have a pack of cards in her hand and pass it through in the family/friends group.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right, it just types faster. Perhaps I meant ‘satisfying’. This week I heard for the first time since the onset of digital photography of someone who starts with photography and is in the process of buying a camera, deciding deliberately for film. It’s the girlfriend of my son, 23 years old. Reason: the endproduct. She doesn’t like sharing photo’s on digital devices. She wants to have a pack of cards in her hand and pass it through in the family/friends group.

I know a few people like that. And yes, around the same age range. I think it's very good that they are keeping an open mind, trying different things and not following the herd.

• Like 2

I was answering Otto's post but you just confirmed, "better" is highly subjective and personal. But still, I would use "I prefer" rather than the more egocentric "I only have myself to please".

I never really thought of expressing a view like that was egocentric.

• Like 1

Egocentric! Hmm.

Is that a problem? (rhetorical question).

Maybe it is similar to selfish. Some years ago I had a very serious health problem. In recovery, my rehab doctor said I need to be more selfish with my life. I was killing myself trying to please 'all of the people, all of the time!' 'Selfish is not a bad word,' she said. If you don't please yourself you will probably not be able to please anyone. She was alluding to the fact that I was literally killing myself trying to do the impossible.

So, egocentric, why not. It is one way of pleasing oneself and what is wrong with that?

• Like 3

For me, going 100% film wasn't about image quality, but I simply enjoy the film workflow more thoroughly and find making my own darkroom prints highly satisfying.  As a software engineer I spend a great many hours in front of my computer monitor, the last thing I feel like doing is more of the same during my free time in order to endlessly tweak my digital photos in LR/PS.  Film photography (mostly) frees me of that.  I also enjoy the utter purity/simplicity of shooting with a film camera, without the need for buttons, menus and other distractions.  If the end goal was a digital image file for sharing on the web or printing on an inkjet printer then my decision would likely have been different - I don't think shooting film would be as easy to justify in that case.  But since my end goal is a gelatin silver print made in the darkroom, film is the obvious choice and I love it.  

• Like 10

So, egocentric, why not. It is one way of pleasing oneself and what is wrong with that?

I didn't mean what I wrote to cast a negative light on Andy. If it came across that way, I apologize.

My initial post — which was not even in response to Andy – was just about using the word "better" in such a subjective context. When I read it, it seems more aggressive, one person defending their view by saying "mine is better than yours". Which is my choice of words would have been "I prefer...".  You know it just sounds better   :p

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

I didn't mean what I wrote to cast a negative light on Andy. If it came across that way, I apologize.

My initial post — which was not even in response to Andy – was just about using the word "better" in such a subjective context. When I read it, it seems more aggressive, one person defending their view by saying "mine is better than yours". Which is my choice of words would have been "I prefer...".  You know it just sounds better   :p

Understood. :D

Some days I prefer film.

Some other days, I prefer digital.

I've experienced the unthinkable project : digitizing my thousands of kodachrome slides taken for decades.

The project is so huge that I tell myself "what for ?" :lol:.

Those slides are so great and vivid when projected on big "real screen". Those days, I'm so happy with film in slides form.

When viewed on computer screen, I must admit that those "digital/digitalized slides" was not so great, and so "flat".

By now, new "photos" are taken on digital devices and I'm happy these days with what I produce.

Some days I prefer film.

I've experienced the unthinkable project : digitizing my thousands of kodachrome slides taken for decades.

Those slides are so great and vivid when projected on big "real screen". Those days, I'm so happy with film in slides form.

When viewed on computer screen, I must admit that those "digital/digitalized slides" was not so great, and so "flat".

By now, new "photos" are taken on digital devices and I'm happy these days with what I produce.

Did you see the movie Koda hrome? You should see it, it’s on Netflix and have deserved a place in movie theatres. With Ed Harris shining in his role

• Like 1

Some days I prefer film.

I also have lots of old Kodachromes and right now they are (selected ones) in three carousels. My projector bulb went kaput sometime ago and since then I am slowly digitizing then (first by shooting with DSLR and now using my Plustek scanner). It is an effort but the only way to enjoy them again. Just be slow and steady... :)

• Like 1

I also have lots of old Kodachromes and right now they are (selected ones) in three carousels. My projector bulb went kaput sometime ago and since then I am slowly digitizing then (first by shooting with DSLR and now using my Plustek scanner). It is an effort but the only way to enjoy them again. Just be slow and steady... :)

I have scanned nearly 10.000 slides over a timespan of several years. The fact that my reflecta scanner could batch-scan 50 slides overnight was helpful. Although I tried to keep postprocessing to a minimum, it was a chore, nonetheless.

I have recovered some fond visual memories. However I do not think that anybody will care about them, once I bite the dust ;)

I have scanned nearly 10.000 slides over a timespan of several years. The fact that my reflecta scanner could batch-scan 50 slides overnight was helpful. Although I tried to keep postprocessing to a minimum, it was a chore, nonetheless.

I have recovered some fond visual memories. However I do not think that anybody will care about them, once I bite the dust ;)

I have in excess of 25000 films (negatives) on file. a mix of 120 and 35mm. I will probably never view most of it again, but am trying to cherry pick some favourites/good ones, for scanning and display, in the hope that after my demise, someone will recognize 'something' and look further in than I am able. I would love that my work, even just one memorable image, may persist after me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

About the OP: perhaps is a travel/vacation with only b&w a greater challenge than only film?

+1

One body, one lens, one grain can be a very liberating experience imho.

Time and again, I take a „sabbatical“ from UWA/tele/digital and restrict myself to a 50 mm LTM-Elmar or M-Cron and some gritty HP5. This visual recalibration also helps me to restrain my postprocessing once I re-enter the digital realm.

• Like 1