Overgaard

Free Leica Presets for Lightroom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've made a package of the presets I mostly use for Leica to adjust colors, make black and white, etc.These handles the skin tones, the correction of CMOS to CCD colors, the 'right' black and white look for M10, SL, TL, etc.

These are the ones people usually ask for, so I have made it a free download. Enjoy!

Edited by Overgaard

John, these presets with .xmp file extension actually work in Adobe Camera Raw when using Photoshop.  (I don't use Lightroom.  So I don't know how this compares to Lightroom usage.  But Develop in Lightroom is ACR.)  In the Photoshop ACR panel click on the Presets icon which is three stacked sliders, toward the right.  Click on the Menu icon which is four stacked bars to the right of the word "Presets".  Follow the "Load Settings" path.  ACR will apply the settings to the file that is open.  Then, again going to the Menu icon, follow the "Save Settings" path.  Select a name such, as Overgaar BW, and the new settings will now appear on the "User Preset" list with the name you gave it.  Do that for each preset you want to add to the list.

There may be some other way to do it, but this is the way that I know works.

Zeitz, thank you!

The .xmp files are all contained in Lightroom CC folders. I use Photoshop CS6, and the pre-CC templates all have the extension .lrtemplate. Do you know offhand if these will work in CS6 ACR? Will .xmp files work in CS6?

John R.

John, I used the .xmp files from the "Lightroom Classic 2017 and forward" folder for Bridge/ACR/PS CC 2019.  I have an M9, so I had two .xmp files to use - skin tones 2012 and BW for rain.  I think .xmp is the same regardless of the version of ACR.  There might be differences in how ACR is laid out however and how to get the preset/settings onto the list.  I no longer have CS6 on my computer to find out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a little more background, John.  .xmp means "extensible metadata platform" file.  An .xmp file is a sidecar file that is associated with a raw file and contains the edits that are made so that the raw file itself is not modified.  .xmp is not unique to Lightroom or to Adobe.  It is a general text file which Adobe looks for when a raw file is opened.  It gets a little more complicated because Leica, and other small camera companies, use .dng raw format instead of a proprietary raw file format.  .dng is an open source file format promoted and maintained by Adobe.  .dng can store the same data internally that would go into an .xmp file.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  A Lightroom/Photoshop user can select to store the editing data into either the .dng file itself or in a .xmp sidecar file.  You can tell which you are using by looking at the date associated with a .dng file that has been edited.  If the .dng date is the date when the picture was taken, then there is an .xmp file.  If the .dng date changes when edits are made, then the edits are saved directly in the .dng file.  I base my file structures on dates.  As a result I never want the original raw file date to change.  Thus I always use an .xmp file.  The option is user selectable.

The Overgaar presets are not templates for Lightroom CC (either cloud or classic) and do not have the extension .lrtemplate.  But I assume Photoshop CS6's Adobe Camera Raw also could use preset/settings which are stored as .xmp.  And again remember that Develop in Lightroom, in any version, is Adobe Camera Raw perhaps with a few changes.  It is not Lightroom totally unique software; and it has a slightly different interface in Lightroom.  Somewhere on-line there must be a description of the ACR version that was contemporary with CS6.  It would show how to import and save present/settings.  I have found Adobe chat support to be excellent, but I don't know if Adobe would still provide support for CS6 and the associated ACR version.

Many photographers don't like the monthly fee model.  But I always want the latest hardware and software to avoid issues with aging.  Software does age.  I lease my Mac on a two year refresh cycle; I am a first day adopter of every new macOS; I want the latest version of every piece of software on my computer.  $9.99 is a bargain in my mind for monthly updates to my most important software on my computer.

And one more piece of information.  xmp is a text file.  On a Mac, if you right click, on an .xmp file and select "Open with" and then "TextEdit" you can see the settings that make up the preset.  (It TextEdit is your default app for text files, just left double click.)

I downloaded the presets, how do I put this into LR6 presets?

Tony, I opened Lightroom Classic (version 8.4 with ACR 11.4) to have a look.  Selecting the Develop module brings up Presets on my left panel.  "Presets" in Lightroom appears to be nearly identical to Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop.  I think my paragraph above should give enough information to add the Overgaard presets once you get to that panel.  A "Preset" panel must be somewhere in LR6.

One thing I did notice is that the Overgaard presets which I added using Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop also appear in Lightroom Presets without any action on my part.  I guess I should have expected this because "Develop" is ACR with icons moved around.

I do not have either CS6 or LR6 anymore, but I do have an old Scott Kelby book entitled "The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers for Versions CS6 and CC".  So CS6 and the first version of CC in 2013 are exactly the same functionally.  Scott did not give much information on Presets, but the information he does give appears to be identical to ACR Presets in CC 2019.  There is not enough information in the book to fully substantiate this statement, but they are very close to the same if not exactly the same.