Keep the Summilux 1.4 ASPH or go for the Noctilux F1

Succisa75

These are controversial statements and are in its intensity not subscribed by a lot of forum members. It’s for instance not at all true that it balances very well on an M body, on contrary, the body always falls forward. The Summilux 50 asph is a good lens

I used m grip on my mp240 all the time so it will not tip over. However, the balance mainly meant balance between size/weight and lens speed/performance.

I don’t expect everybody agree with me. Offered just personal opinion as is.

Thanks everyone for your time and advice on my questions. Just to give an update I have sold my 50 Lux and now deciding on which F1 to get. Seen one V3 and one V4. Had an offer for a .95 but the top up from the Lux was a bit beyond my current budget.

I’ve heard all e60 versions are the same, but is there a coating difference between V3 and 4?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your time and advice on my questions. Just to give an update I have sold my 50 Lux and now deciding on which F1 to get. Seen one V3 and one V4. Had an offer for a .95 but the top up from the Lux was a bit beyond my current budget.

I’ve heard all e60 versions are the same, but is there a coating difference between V3 and 4?

Once I decided to get one I spent quite some time reading through various forums, this old one was quite enlightening.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-63311.html

I finally ended up with a Version 3, mainly because of the hood set up, I like to be able to reverse fit.  Jury seems to be out or at least unsure about change to lens coatings.

I much prefer the hood on the version 3, I briefly tried a version 4 with the built in hood but it was a nuisance as the hood kept on slipping backwards when in use. Sometimes I like to use it without the hood, no problem with flare. I do not know if there is any difference in the lens coatings, there does not seem to be any evidence to say that there is. Used wide open it can produce such a individual look, I personally would not worry about the coatings.

should have got the 0.95......you will eventually

Neil

Neil

Not necessarily, Neil.  I have the 50/1 v4 and had the opportunity to pick up the 0.95 at an acceptable price.  I kept them both for about 9 months but in the end I returned the 0.95 to the wild and kept my v4 because of the character that the 50/1 produces in its pictures.  The 0.95 is a superb lens but I preferred the v4's pictures; I accept that not everyone will but I do and that made the choice easy for me.  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Pete.

• Like 5

Neil

The 0.95 is a completely different lens, much like the 50 Summilux ASPH, only bigger and faster. If someone consider the Noctilux f/1, it is almost certainly because of its unique rendering, not only because it is a fast lens.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. So the last week or so has been somewhat of an adventure finding the right lens.

I was almost ready to get the V4 but the focusing was off on the lens so passed on it. Also the hood wasn’t to my liking. Not sure why Leica made a hood design like that but to each their own.

I was told to look at an E58 as from some users I know, is the Noct besides the 1.2 that gains value and is preferable to use for size and color.

I found a decent copy for sale and was considering getting it, but something about the lens held me back. It was slightly different than the picture sent to me and when asking the seller, this person didn’t want to acknowledge the differences so made me think twice about the copy. When your going to invest this kind of money, you want to be 100% sure :)

Additionally a good copy of an E58 is about the same as a second hand .95 depending on the seller haha. Quite amazing for a 40 year old lens.

Version 2 or 3 is more attractive price wise and while they might not be as collectible, there are many decent copies around for a decent price compared to the E58 etc.

So the hunt continues. The pricing varies so much it’s hard to gauge especially when searching in worldwide. Who knows, maybe I’ll end up with a .95 in the end :)

Edited by Succisa75

Once I decided to get one I spent quite some time reading through various forums, this old one was quite enlightening.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-63311.html

I finally ended up with a Version 3, mainly because of the hood set up, I like to be able to reverse fit. Jury seems to be out or at least unsure about change to lens coatings.

Thanks for the link, very good info there. V3 is a good option as well and as mentioned in my above post, more affordable than other versions.

From my experience trying different versions, I did notice the E58 to be slightly different in the color. Found it slightly more saturated. The V4 and V3 slightly cooler in color. Now this isn’t using the same camera in same lighting conditions, but the impression I got from my testing.

Edited by Succisa75
  • Like 1

I own bith the Summilux and Noctilux f0.95 50s. They are both awesome lenses, but for travel and most of the time, I prefer the Summilux because the Noctilux is a beast.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• 2 years later...

Yep. Gonna wake up this old thread. I just shot an f1 on my M10M and couldn’t even find “acceptably sharp” in the center. We were at a Leica store so an employee and I also tried it on the SL2. Still soft, almost blurry, in the center. Is there a lot of variation in copies? 

I’m very much a vintage lens shooter so my eye is used to their more gentle look, but this just seemed like it couldn’t get there. Experiences? Perhaps I stumbled upon a bad unit?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, insomnigraphic said:

Yep. Gonna wake up this old thread. I just shot an f1 on my M10M and couldn’t even find “acceptably sharp” in the center. We were at a Leica store so an employee and I also tried it on the SL2. Still soft, almost blurry, in the center. Is there a lot of variation in copies? 

I’m very much a vintage lens shooter so my eye is used to their more gentle look, but this just seemed like it couldn’t get there. Experiences? Perhaps I stumbled upon a bad unit?

I own a shoot with an E58 F1 on an M10M and I adore this combination. Wide open it is not super sharp on center but for me sharp enough as the out of focus rendering is so lovely, but when stopped down even 1-2 stops it is then very sharp or plenty sharp for most discerning people. Obviously not 50 APO sharp at any aperture but again for me the character obtained in an E58 or E60 F1 Noctilux simply cannot be duplicated in any modern lens so I am fine with the on center wide open not being crystal sharp as its the overall character of the photograph that makes these F1 Noctilux's so memorable and fun to shoot with. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, insomnigraphic said:

Jeff