Keep the Summilux 1.4 ASPH or go for the Noctilux F1

Succisa75

Thanks, Pete. I use the easy slide out hood on my 50 Summilux ASPH, but haven’t experimented with keeping it retracted. Flare hasn’t been a problem, but maybe that’s more lens than hood.

I really like the fully knurled focus ring on the black chrome version, but not the big hood (although I figured it was effective). I definitely would have switched versions if DAG hadn’t fixed the sticky focus action on my sample.

One issue that seems more common with some of the newer lenses is a loose aperture ring. Fixable if experienced, but a curious and frustrating phenomenon, if true. I rented and then played with two other 50 APO Summicrons, just to see what the fuss was about, and each had an extremely loose ring.

Jeff

I‘d suppose that this lens should only be used with f/1. If so, it is rather an aperture-extender than an alternative to another 50mm.

Wouldn't agree with that statement at all - think it's a lens to be used at all apertures, but has the very magical benefit of f/1.  What do I know, only had the lens a couple of weeks so perhaps the novelty has yet to wear off, but, mine has been used at f5.6 and above more than at f/1.  

Edited by Boojay

Wouldn't agree with that statement at all - think it's a lens to be used at all apertures, but has the very magical benefit of f/1.  What do I know, only had the lens a couple of weeks so perhaps the novelty has yet to wear off, but, mine has been used at f5.6 and above more than at f/1.

Well, I think that if I would not primarily use that Noctilux at f/1.0 then there are smaller, lighter, smarter and cheaper options. In that context the metapher of it being an extender nails it somehow.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would never sell my 50/1.4 asph for an F1. Remind please that the closest distance is 1m with the 50 Noctiluxes and the close focus is very good with the 1.4, what are you throwing away here! The distance between a 75 and a 50 is quite small in my perspective and I’ve got my Summilux 75 for selective focus to the max, especially because it comes as close as you can get with a Summilux M lens.

Have you got a special purpose or previsualization of your images with this Noctilux or is it for free discovery/creativity? If it’s the latter you haven’t got a very wide domain for it. It’s quite limited for portraits for instance. It’s quite bulky for street and you can’t come close either.

Edited by otto.f

I’m surprised no one has mentioned focus shift on the f/1 Noctilux.

I rarely use it at other than wide open or f/8, depending on the circumstance of course, because I'm normally shooting at night with it.  At f/8 the 50 f/1 Noctilux shows it's other personality where it is blazingly sharp.

Pete.

• Like 2

I would never sell my 50/1.4 asph for an F1. Remind please that the closest distance is 1m with the 50 Noctiluxes and the close focus is very good with the 1.4, what are you throwing away here! The distance between a 75 and a 50 is quite small in my perspective and I’ve got my Summilux 75 for selective focus to the max, especially because it comes as close as you can get with a Summilux M lens.

Have you got a special purpose or previsualization of your images with this Noctilux or is it for free discovery/creativity? If it’s the latter you haven’t got a very wide domain for it. It’s quite limited for portraits for instance. It’s quite bulky for street and you can’t come close either.

Yes the focusing distance is something I have considered on this. I prefer the .7 meter distance as opposed to 1 meter.

In regards to your 75 and 50 statement, I quite don’t understand your point, my apologies.

I see the Noctilux as a tool for low light shots, especially using my MP film camera, and because I tend to shoot people and street scenes mainly, that F1 look to me is always something I have been drawn to. It’s the look that to many symbolises Leica. The creamy, swirly bokeh, the cinematic look it creates is unique, artistic and can change the way someone views a person or a place just by the rendering of the lens.

I have shot in the past with most of the SL prime lenses, Zeiss Otus and Sony G Master lenses. They are phenomenal lenses that are perfect in almost everyway (minus the size), but one thing That is common in all of them is the perfection in rendering takes away the personality that the lenses of the past had.

Imperfection can be beauty, and to me the F1 has gobs of that.

As for the 50 Lux it also has a bit of personality to it. No denying that, and the rendering of images are beat. That’s why it’s quite difficult to decide between the two.

• Like 2

Did you ever make a photo with a Summilux 75? I think you’ll understand if you did. The 75lux has the smallest object field of all M lenses; that’s about 24x36cm when focusing at a distance of 0.7m from the object and is thus ideal for portraits. The 90mhas an even bigger field because it stops at 1m.

Edited by otto.f

I looked at the f/1 Noctilux (it was expensive) and opted for the 0.95 because of the focus shift issue. Like Pete, I could have used it at f/1 and f/8 and used the Summilux for everything else, but in the end I found the “swirly boken” a bit much.

I do think the f/1 Noct is a great lens (where the 0.95 version can be used as a general purpose 50) - I’d keep the Summilux as well.

Did you ever make a photo with a Summilux 75? I think you’ll understand if you did. The 75lux has the smallest object field of all M lenses; that’s about 24x36cm when focusing at a distance of 0.7m from the object and is thus ideal for portraits. The 90mm has an even bigger field because it stops at 1m.

That‘s true. But in digital times you easily can crop your 50‘s image to 75 even with no loss of quality (as the summilux 75 is known to be very smooth wide open). So you can save a lot of money and weight ;-)

Edited by happymac

That‘s true. But in digital times you easily can crop your 50‘s image to 75 even with no loss of quality (as the summilux 75 is known to be very smooth wide open). So you can save a lot of money and weight ;-)[/quote

Except that the 75lux sells for 3500 and the Nocti F1.0 for at least 5000.

Did you ever make a photo with a Summilux 75? I think you’ll understand if you did. The 75lux has the smallest object field of all M lenses; that’s about 24x36cm when focusing at a distance of 0.7m from the object and is thus ideal for portraits. The 90mhas an even bigger field because it stops at 1m.

Better yet...

Summilux-M 75mm focus to 75cm and object field is about 19.2cm x 28.8cm, about 1:8 ;).

Noctilux-M 1.0 50mm focus to 1m and object field about 41cm x 61.5 cm or 1:17

that's quite large

while Summilux-M 50mm at 70 cm has object field of about 1:11.5 or 27.7 cm x 41.6 cm .

I'm with you otto.f

Summilux-M 75mm is cheaper than Noctilux-M 1.0 and is (for me ) better choice in general photo (and even better for portrait for perspective, smoothness, etc.).

I use the two in different way :).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

... Like Pete, I could have used it at f/1 and f/8 and used the Summilux for everything else, but in the end I found the “swirly boken” a bit much. ...

I'm not a fan of the swirly bokeh either but I'm fortunate that my 50/1 v4 doesn't have it.  From the swirly bokeh pictures I've seen it seems to be the v2 and v3 that have it although I can't substantiate that.  Since, according to Erwin Puts's Leica Compendium II, all of the f/1's have the same computation it doesn't even make sense unless the slightly smaller filter thread is having an effect but I can only go on the pictures I've seen and the reported versions of the Noctilux.

Pete.

• Like 1

Ok but is a personal choice. The shallowest depth of field lies with the 75lux or 75Noct and cannot be attained with cropping some 50

I refered to the question ‚Keep the Summilux 1.4 ASPH or go for the Noctilux F1?‘ If you have a Summilux 50, there is no need for a Summilux 75.

Ok but that is a personal choice. The shallowest depth of field lies with the 75lux or 75Noct and cannot be attained with cropping some 50 Edited by otto.f

I have tried the 75 summilux. It was and still is one my my favourite lenses from Leica.

Now I might in the future get one, but a couple things held me back. Size of the lens and frame lines on the M. On a SL or another mirrorless camera, this issue is non existent, but I feel on the M, the 75 frame line in addition to the 50 is a bit too confusing.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

1st world lens dilemma:)

So I acquired the 50 Lux 1.4 ASPH recently. Love the lens and no complaints with it, however on the bucket list would be to acquire a Noct one day.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I went to one of the used camera shops I frequent, and low and behold they had a few Noct f1 available at relatively decent prices considering. One without the clip on hood, one with, and one with the slide out hood.

Anyways to cut a long story short, tested all three, minor differences in color and warmth (which could be because of the test camera, but I feel in love with the way it captures subjects. It’s not as sharp as the Lux ASPH but there is “magic” in the way it renders.

While I don’t have the budget currently to buy the Noct straight out, I was wondering if it would be wise to sell the Lux and top up a bit to go for the Noct of keep the Lux. This would be my primary 50 btw.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mate,

If you can get the Noctilux without loosing to much on the lux then get the Noctilux and trade in the Lux..........there like chalk and cheese you will fall in love with the Noct the same way I have......

Neil