Keep the Summilux 1.4 ASPH or go for the Noctilux F1

Succisa75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

1st world lens dilemma:)

So I acquired the 50 Lux 1.4 ASPH recently. Love the lens and no complaints with it, however on the bucket list would be to acquire a Noct one day.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I went to one of the used camera shops I frequent, and low and behold they had a few Noct f1 available at relatively decent prices considering. One without the clip on hood, one with, and one with the slide out hood.

Anyways to cut a long story short, tested all three, minor differences in color and warmth (which could be because of the test camera, but I feel in love with the way it captures subjects. It’s not as sharp as the Lux ASPH but there is “magic” in the way it renders.

While I don’t have the budget currently to buy the Noct straight out, I was wondering if it would be wise to sell the Lux and top up a bit to go for the Noct of keep the Lux. This would be my primary 50 btw.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My 2 cents .. if you want to keep one, keep the 1.4 ASPH

If you can have two, get both

The Lux 1.4 is dreamy wide open, sharp when it needs to be, relatively compact and well corrected

Hard to beat, really if you only want one lens in that FoV

• Like 1

Hello! Here is my story and experience with 3 lenses: summilux 50 asph, Noctilux f1 & 0.95:

First I had a Noctilux f1, then bought a summilux 50 asph for sharpness. So I eventually sold the noctilux because I liked the summilux size.

But... I missed the Noctilux f1 rendering :/

So I bought an used noctilux 0.95...but found it too big. The rendering was more special compared with the summilux but I didn’t fall in love with it.

I sold the Noctilux 0.95 and the summilux and have bought another Noctilux f1. I love its rendering, despite its softness (the major drawback of this lense for me compared with the summilux 50 asph). The size is not a problem for me because I use the Noctilux on the SL.

And when I need a more modern and sharp lense, I use the summilux 35 Fle. ;)

Edited by Mikewest

Noctilux f/1.0 is unique = nothing to compare with.

If you like the Noctilux, just sell the Summilux asph. and if regret it you can buy it later anyway.

As side note, the Noctilux 1.0 is heavy and big to carry around, but when once (lovers only) the result is there, what a result not obtainable with other lens (even not the 0.95 Noctilux).

Side note two: with whatever Leica (or not), the Noctilux 1.0 shines

note three : when you would be bored with it, just sell it later :p

note four : the "good result" may not be automatically obtained ;)

Edited by a.noctilux

And below you’ll find the link about my previous similar question:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269099-noctilux-f1-or-095/

Thanks Mike for the link. Very interesting read. I’ve heard this from a number of Leica Photographers I know that the F1 really stands on its own over the .95. Also it’s lighter which makes it a bit easier to carry as well

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Noctilux f/1.0 is unique = nothing to compare with.

If you like the Noctilux, just sell the Summilux asph. and if regret it you can buy it later anyway.

As side note, the Noctilux 1.0 is heavy and big to carry around, but when once (lovers only) the result is there, what a result not obtainable with other lens (even not the 0.95 Noctilux).

Side note two: with whatever Leica (or not), the Noctilux 1.0 shines

note three : when you would be bored with it, just sell it later :p

note four : the "good result" may not be automatically obtained ;)

Thanks for the reply a.noctilux :)

Yes I found it heavy but not so much so compared to the .95. Focusing varied on the three lenses I tried.

It will definitely be a lens I need to practice with. At f1 that takes some skill on an M. SL or another brand camera can always get use focus peaking etc.

If I was to go with the F1 what version do you recommend?

Thanks for the reply a.noctilux :)

Yes I found it heavy but not so much so compared to the .95. Focusing varied on the three lenses I tried.

It will definitely be a lens I need to practice with. At f1 that takes some skill on an M. SL or another brand camera can always get use focus peaking etc.

If I was to go with the F1 what version do you recommend?

You are welcome :).

I use for decades the only Noctilux available by then so called E58 (version II ?) with separate hood (that I use sometime).

This is my best choice (not know by then) each version after this gains weight/size.

You are welcome :).

I use for decades the only Noctilux available by then so called E58 (version II ?) with separate hood (that I use sometime).

This is my best choice (not know by then) each version after this gains weight/size.

According to Thorsten Overgaard:

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Noctilux-M-ASPH-f-095.html

If you look down the page it gives you the specs - weight stays the same for version 11821 be it the E58 or E60 version, different shades, anyhow good information on the various forms.

Edited by Boojay

A choice of three lenses is a unique opportunity. Find the one that works best for you and your M. 50 asph are plentiful, you can always find another. I find that weight and balance of the noctilux is not an issue after a few uses.

@Succisa75,

I have two 50mm lenses, the 50/2.8 Elmar #11112 and the 50/1.0 Noctilux M #11822.  I hardly ever use the Elmar and the Noctilux is my primary 50mm lens. 

The Noctilux is not a bad 50mm for all around use; it is heavy, true - but I have read some reviewers who say that stopped down to f/5.6,  it approaches the sharpness of the 50mm Summicron (non-APO).  It is not what many would consider a "travel" lens, but I would not set foot on a passenger jet without it.  I have some great images from my travels that were made possible by using the Noctilux and a monopod. 

That having been said, the 50mm f/1.4 ASPH is an outstanding lens by all accounts.  If you can have only one 50mm lens, it is a virtual toss-up between the Noctilux and the Summilux IMHO.

At the end of the day, only you can make this decision.  A year down the road, which choice do you think you would you regret more - selling your 50 Summilux or forgoing the Noctilux?

@Succisa75,

I have two 50mm lenses, the 50/2.8 Elmar #11112 and the 50/1.0 Noctilux M #11822. I hardly ever use the Elmar and the Noctilux is my primary 50mm lens.

The Noctilux is not a bad 50mm for all around use; it is heavy, true - but I have read some reviewers who say that stopped down to f/5.6, it approaches the sharpness of the 50mm Summicron (non-APO). It is not what many would consider a "travel" lens, but I would not set foot on a passenger jet without it. I have some great images from my travels that were made possible by using the Noctilux and a monopod.

That having been said, the 50mm f/1.4 ASPH is an outstanding lens by all accounts. If you can have only one 50mm lens, it is a virtual toss-up between the Noctilux and the Summilux IMHO.

At the end of the day, only you can make this decision. A year down the road, which choice do you think you would you regret more - selling your 50 Summilux or forgoing the Noctilux?

When I tested the lens, while obviously heavier than the Lux I didn’t find it that bad. Not like the .95. I’ve carried much heavier and wasn’t an issue for me.

For me the Lux takes great pics, fantastic lens, but that certain something is missing if you know what I mean. The Noct on the other had has a unique fingerprint to images that just makes art haha. That’s the best way to explain it I guess :)

As I’m writing this and reading the replies the answer seems very obvious now ;)

My first Leica lens was the 50 Lux ASPH, then years later came the 50 APO and recently the Noctilux f/1.  While I love all three, and shoot all three often, if I had to keep just one it would be the 50 Lux.  There's just something about the 50 Lux rendering that I love, especially wide open and at f/2.

In terms of size and weight, the Noctilux f/1 isn't too bad, but I rarely carry it for the entire day because of its size and weight.  The Lux and APO are much easier to carry around, and are also ergonomically much easier to focus. 

My first Leica lens was the 50 Lux ASPH, then years later came the 50 APO and recently the Noctilux f/1. While I love all three, and shoot all three often, if I had to keep just one it would be the 50 Lux. There's just something about the 50 Lux rendering that I love, especially wide open and at f/2.

In terms of size and weight, the Noctilux f/1 isn't too bad, but I rarely carry it for the entire day because of its size and weight. The Lux and APO are much easier to carry around, and are also ergonomically much easier to focus.

The size of the Lux is definitely a plus. I’m looking at testing them back to back to see how the images look and decide from there.

I've had both the 50 lux and the f1 Noct v3.

When I first had the lux, I thought it was a keeper forever lens - it was the all round perfect lens for a 50mm FOV for me - f1.4, light enough and just about the maximum size for me.  

Then I kept reading about how special the f1 was. I was never too intrigued by the 0.95 becos it seems to me (and I've tested it to confirm this) that it was a bigger brother 50Lux - perfect modern rendering - but much bigger, heavier and way more expensive. The f1 however had the character I wanted, was smaller/lighter and less expensive.

So I sold the 50Lux and got the F1 v3 (i.e. the first in 60mm filter thread). Chose this because v3 (or v4) had everything I wanted - smaller, lighter, less vignetting, not too collector to take on trips or shoot wherever/whenever I wanted.

The other versions:

v1 (f1.2) is too collector and it is f1.2 (and too much glow for my liking)

v2 has the 58mm filter thread and supposedly had more vignetting

v5 is heavier, bigger and I didn't like the look with the included sliding hood

A group of us actually recently compared my v3 with a v5 and a 0.95. Removing the hood off my v3, it was way smaller and looked better matched with an M10 or M240.

My f1 v3 is a definite keeper (famous last words!) and I really like it. I have carried it all day in the NYC summer and it was fine. It balances well when cross slung.  It's not a lens I would use all day although I can but it's a lens that's easy to take along for travel - to get that portrait, night shot or the occasional all day lens. My v3 didn't come with the overpriced hood (12539) so I bought a 3rd party Chinese made hood ($30) and it's fine. I also dress it up with a Thorsten red Noct hood for a special look. Together these still cost less than the geniune collector Leica 12539 hood.

My other 50 is a super small and light Elmar-M 50/2.8 and it is a great combo. I really didn't want a 50lux and Noct together - abit of an overkill for me.

Whatever you decide, enjoy shooting more!

• Like 1

In addition to what I wrote in the linked thread in post #4, the 50/1 Noctilux v4 (the one with the ineffective pull-out hood) is the most flare-resistant lens I have ever used, even with bright lights directly in the frame.  When you're shooting after dark and there are street lights or other inevitable spectral highlights this becomes very important.  I haven't tried the earlier 50/1 versions but I think they're the same computation and design so I imagine they should be equally flare-resistant unless the coatings are different.

My 50/1.4 (retro) Summilux asph is reasonably flare-resistant but not in the same league as the Noctilux.

Pete.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far.

So today I went back to the shop with the 50 Lux to compare the image quality size etc.

What I liked about the Lux compared to the Noct:

Size. Even though the Noct is heavier the small size of the Lux is a plus

Color: the pics of people tenf to have warmer tones where the Noct produces slightly cooler tones.

Focus distance: that .7 is a nice thing to have. It’s not the be all to end all but if your sitting at a table or close to a subject, not having to move back to get that minimal focusing distance is nice.

Sharpness: I did notice that the Lux is sharper with more contrast.

Focusing is also much easier than the Noct. Of course it’s a much smaller lens so that makes a difference:)

Positives of the Noctilux compared to the 50 Lux

Size and weight: as others have mentioned here, while it’s big, it feels balanced on an M body as opposed to the newer one which feels a bit too hefty.

Bokeh: this is what this lens does best. It’s not a big difference to the Lux, from the. Pics I took but it’s noticeable.

Overall image quality: it has a film look to it, imperfect, vignetting etc. where the Lux feels almost perfect. Not Otus perfect but close enough.

*One thing I noticed about the f1 is that there was a bit of distortion in the pics when shooting lines. The Lux hass almost none where as the Noct has some considerable distortion. Maybe that’s part of shooting at F1, not sure but something that was apparent when reviewing the shots.

Overall it’s a tough decision. I got my Lux at a decent price and really in prestige condition. I know I’ll miss it if I get the Noct, but Noctilux lenses second hand aren’t always that common. Especially at decent prices so if I wait a bit that could mean hundreds more I have to pay in the future.

I think the final point you make is the most important.  It sounds like the Noctilux seed is implanted in you so you'll eventually get one sooner or later (we all do) so it's better to buy it now at a reasonable price than to buy it later at far greater cost.  

On the other hand you'll always be able to find a 50/1.4 Summilux asph on the used market or new.  I loved my 50/1.4 Summilux asph and for many years it was my 'cold, dead hands' lens while I repeatedly convinced myself that I had no need for a Noctilux.  The reverse is now true and my Noctilux would be the last lens to be prised from my hands.

I'm fortunate to have also had the opportunity to replace the 50 Summilux asph with the 'retro' black chrome edition, which is all the things that my other Summilux was not: light, buttery-smooth focussing, smaller (without the large metal hood), and with the classic knurled focussing ring.  It's sometimes funny how things change.

Pete.

• Like 1

I'm fortunate to have also had the opportunity to replace the 50 Summilux asph with the 'retro' black chrome edition, which is all the things that my other Summilux was not: light, buttery-smooth focussing, smaller (without the large metal hood), and with the classic knurled focussing ring. It's sometimes funny how things change.

Pete, do you use it without a hood?

Jeff