Stolen Leicas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice or help.

We were burgled last week from north west London and all of my precious cameras have been taken.

I don't have the reference numbers for the whole stash, but what was taken included

an M2, son-1085967 with a 40mm/ f2 Summicron lens in a brown leather case

an M8 body, fabrication number 3196666, VK number 10702

an M9 body body number 0384,with 35mm/ 2.8 summaron lens , son-2081257

There was also a 50mm/ f2 Summicron
and a 90mm / f28 Elmarit

as well as a Hasselblad 500C/M with an f/2.8 80mm and a f/3.5 100mm lens

and my old Nikon FM2 with a 24 mm, a 35mm, a 50mm and an 80mm lens

and a Canon 5D mk 2 body

a Polaroid SX-70

an old battered Mamiya 645 in a metal case

I'm devastated, not least by the M2/ 35mm  which was the first Leica I bought, and which after a particularly terrible time working in DRC was the only thing that was evacuated with me.

I wonder if anyone has been through the same devastating experience and can offer any advice? The police have done forensics/opened a case but is that all I can do?

I’d be hugely thankful for any help/ lead in this

All best

Miriam

Sorry for your loss. However, as the police appear to be active, you stand at least a chance of recovering the M2.  Such a camera can only be sold through eBay, Craigslist or similar, or through a specialized dealer. Notify the dealers, check the auction sites daily and let the police know if you find it.

• Like 1

Miriam, that is terrible news. I do hope some equipment is recovered.

Before contacting Leica, try to retrieve more digital camera body numbers by studying recorded metadata via your image processing software. Also search for any repair or servicing receipts you may have kept in the past.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear, Miriam, and hope you recover items via actions taken and efforts suggested. Beyond that, I hope that you have insurance (preferably itemized, but at least through home contents) to compensate for any lost gear and that you notify your insurance company.

This of course won’t replace important personal sentiments, but can at least assist financially. I’m always doubly troubled when I hear these type reports and find that there isn’t (itemized) insurance, which can often be relatively inexpensive.

But of course I hope you recover items without need to resort to insurance, especially the M2 and 35mm lens.... as suggested, get info to Leica, notify local dealers, and search ads. And maybe post this on other forums.

Jeff

• Like 1

I would do as Jaap has already suggested and send a list of all items to Leica HQ as well as to all the London dealers (there's not that many to cover) and check ebay. Digital Leica's have to go back to Wetzlar for any repairs/service so those will probably turn up at some point in the future.

However, assuming you had insurance, and they're accepting a claim, remember that your cameras are now their property.

Hope you find some at least.

• Like 1

Miriam, that is terrible news. I do hope some equipment is recovered.

Before contacting Leica, try to retrieve more digital camera body numbers by studying recorded metadata via your image processing software. Also search for any repair or servicing receipts you may have kept in the past.

This is where the Leica members area in the Leica www is useful.

Leica owners are able to list each piece they own inc serial number. Even possible to record date bought,where from,and receipt number. The hardest part is remembering to keep it up to date.All the info that is required and a couple of clicks and the info can be with anyone who needs it in seconds.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

However, assuming you had insurance, and they're accepting a claim, remember that your cameras are now their property.

Companies, policies and circumstances vary. I insure my photograph collection (same company that covers my camera gear) and one print worth five figures dollar value was damaged during a house move. The company paid fully insured value and told me I was free to keep the print, even if I were to sell it for additional money later on. They didn’t want to mess with it and considered it small potatoes in their insured portfolio. But, yes, it’s up to the company and its rep to decide.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

It is a very good argument for using the free facility Leica provide to list all your equipment in the Members' Area, with all serial numbers and any additional data you want to provide. I am just in the middle of changing my UK homeowners insurance after 20 claim free years, my current insurers wanted another 10% hike after a 9% hike last year. I printed my Leica equipment list off as a PDF document, with all the serial numbers from my list on the Leica-Camera.com members' area. The two potential insurers I am talking to, thought the Leica equipment list with the serial numbers, was brilliant. 

Leica used to have a stolen equipment register but I think that has gone. My Digilux 1 was on the list, although admittedly I was not terribly sad over its theft - my least liked Leica over the last 60 years as a user. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw