Testing Voigtländer lenses - participants welcome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Color-Heliar 75-2.5

Rather pleased with this lens. Together with the Color-Skopar 25-4.0 it makes for a miniature powerful system

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Another one:

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What´s about the Voigtländer Ultron 35/1,7 ? Is anyone there using this lens together with the CL ? Obviously Mr. Huff does use this lens. And does anyone know, how it performs together with the SL ? I am really thinking about it, because I use this two systems.

Or would I be better off with the tiny old canadian Leica lens  35/1,4 - which I had long time ago with a M6 and I really loved with this camera, which was sold many years ago.

I have the Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 and have tested it used on the CL. Coupled with the lens profile for the Summaron 28mm f/5.6, it produces outstanding image quality and is light and small.

BUT I prefer using the Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 instead, despite that it is larger, heavier, and requires a longer lens adapter. This latter is a bit easier to focus critically because it is a bit more contrasty than the Color Skopar 28, focuses closer, and in general produces even nicer image quality. Its ergonomics suit me better too: it provides a nice, meaty thing to hold the camera steadily with, the focusing ring and aperture ring are ideally placed for easy operation when looking through the viewfinder, and overall it's just an even better made lens. The example I have cost me something less than $600 with caps and hood, and is worth every penny of that price.

That said, the Color Skopar 28 is my favorite of the Voigtländer Color Skopars, in addition to the 50mm f/2.5, and I like using them most on the Leica M-D and M4-2. Having had all of the Color Skopars at one point or another, plus the Heliar 15/4.5 Mk 1, Ultron 28/2, Nokton 40/1.4 MC, and Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM), the Color Skopar 28 and 50 are the two that remain in my equipment list.

Here's a quickie test shot with the Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 on the Leica CL: 

30024605148_0db80df902_o.jpg

(The vignette is a bit of post process effects ... I just like the way it looks. :D)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 5

Here's the Voightlaender 21/4 Color-Skopar.  It's a tiny little thing, even when embedded in the M-L adapter.  Last used with the M8, so it still has an IR filter installed:

42089452170_d440aa5f11_h.jpgC1080256 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr with CL 23

and a test shot in morning light:

43850201212_678f15fd95_h.jpgC1080264 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL, with CV21/4@f/8

• Like 2

Another vote for the CV 21/4. My default compact WA on the CL. Bit soft at f/4 and plenty sharp above. Not that i dislike my Leica 21mm lenses (21/2.8 asph, 21/3.4 asph, 21/3.4) but the latter cannot be used on the CL and i find the other ones too bulky on this small camera. Here with Leica 21/2.8 pre-asph coding and Silver Efex B&W conversion. 

i-P8VPDnQ-L.jpg
  • Like 1

Another plus for the 21mm f/4, not very wide on the CL but light and neat package, one from this morning and one to show on the body.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 4

The 75/2.5 is a really nice optic!  I never had any use for 75mm on full-frame 35, but when I got an Epson R-D1 I wanted something to equate to my oft-used 90mm FOV, so I picked up the CV for a pittance.  Ended up serving me throughout my tenure with the M8 as well.  It was worth so little I decided to keep it, and eventually it found a place in my NEX6 kit. 

BTW I find the 12mmm and 15mm work well on the NEX so those would be proper candidates for a test-run on a CL I would imagine.  V.1 15 is fine, no color casts, so no need for the bulky V3.

28/1.9 and 90/3.5 are two other of CV's finest.

• Like 1

35 / 1.4

• Like 6

Another with the 35mm. I haven't spent a lot of time with the 35mm on the CL, predominately using the 50...but I"m really liking this lens

• Like 5

What´s about the Voigtländer Ultron 35/1,7 ? Is anyone there using this lens together with the CL ? Obviously Mr. Huff does use this lens. And does anyone know, how it performs together with the SL ? I am really thinking about it, because I use this two systems.

Or would I be better off with the tiny old canadian Leica lens 35/1,4 - which I had long time ago with a M6 and I really loved with this camera, which was sold many years ago.

I have the latest version of the 35/1.7 Ultron and it is a stellar performer, both on M full frame and the CL.

Here's a couple from Arles, with the CV 15mm Super-Wide Heliar f/4.5, Mk I , the LTM lens that played so poorly with my M9, but seems right at home on the CL

A typical series of informal exhibits of the type that adorn walls in Arles during the Rencontres d'Arles photographic exhibition in July

Inside the Hotel de Ville

Jim

• Like 5

Another from Arles (Place de la Republique)

and one from Montauban (Place Nationale)

Both with CV 15Mk I on the CL

Jim

• Like 6