Mood and Leica glass, or why I don't go Medium Format

enboe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still persist with the M system because of the largely unique optical RF viewfinder. It is what I'm used to. I don't believe the M has any other significant advantage over other systems. Far from being "light/moderate" weight, an M (either digital or film) plus even a modest modern M lens is like a small and heavy brick. As for "mood", there is nothing unique about Leica lenses when it comes to "control of focus and depth of field". Of course, they are very "good" (which they should be considering the price) but most of the great "Leica" photographs that we all laud as some of the highlights of 20th century photography were taken with lenses (often not even from Leitz) that many current M users would turn their noses up at nowadays. What's more, few, if any, of those photographs are great because of anything to do with "bokeh".

I compared M film and digital cameras to SLRs and DSLRs and weight difference wasn't significant, with something like 50/2, 35/2 lenses attached. Lenses optical qualities for my casual needs are on pair.

The only big difference on Leica side is modern Leica RF lenses. Here is absolutely nothing on pair with modern 50, 35 Crons and similar Summarit-M lenses, Elmarit-M 28 2.8 ASPH some other not huge ones. Not optically, but how they made to be handled.

Short and light focus, light but prominent aperture ring. And focus tab made with real knowledge how folks like me will use this lens.