Alberti

Rotterdam meeting March 23rd, 2019

A new meeting is planned for Saturday March 23rd, in Rotterdam - The Netherlands.

Theme is the architecture, the waterfront and the skyline of Rotterdam. We will also see dusk settling over the city!

(This is a postponed meeting of August 18th '18 for which too few members reacted.)

The picture is from the Textiel Museum, Tilburg

Edited by Alberti

The theme is the city and the skyline, the waterfront and the scenic harbours of Rotterdam, plus we will the harbour smells, the colourful boats and buzzling sounds.

Architecture is a key for a visit of the city. We will walk through areas that have been developed the last twenty years and that have given the city its high ranking in city guides as a place to visit. 

10:30 - meet and greet in Martcafé in the Markthal. This is in the right wing, on the corner of the Markthal.

Look at the Markthal from the inside and outside. Walk via the Kubuswoningen and the Wijnhaven to the Leuvehaven

Take a Watertaxi with a fast boat ride like a small cruise of half an hour up and down the river to have a view of the skyline of Rotterdam from the Maas river, and disembark at Hotel New York. Go up beyond the Brienenoordbrug and way down the otherway into the harbour: a fascinating view.

Lunch at Hotel New York in that dwarfed building in the middle of the Wilhelminapier, Kop van Zuid  (Rotterdam Zuid)

Walk over to the Photography Museum and visit the current exhibitions; we might be able to arrange a tour. Further visit and view this Little Manhattan.

See a few of the spectacular buildings and have tea in the Koolhaas building De Rotterdam, with a view of the river and the city from the seventh floor (where the red n is)

Walk over the Erasmus bridge back to the city center. Walk through the Museum harbour (open part of the Maritiem Museum) with the old boats in the Leuvehaven. Continue through the shopping district and visit the Laurenskerk.

Dining in the city at the waterfront preferably because then we can enjoy the sun setting, starting with drinks from around 18:00.

Because the sun is setting at 19:00 we will see abundant colours on the skyline with the neon blazing ! 

I hope you will enjoy this visit.

How to get there in the morning

The Markthal with its famous horse-shoe form is just aside the Blaak metro/train  station. For those with a car, you can either park in a parking garage around the corner or best take your car to the P&R at Kralingse Zoom and take the metro to Blaak (parking is free there when you park and continue with the metro). The Blaak train station can be reached easily too from Rotterdam Central Station.

Sounds wonderful Unfortunately Ill be skiing in Italy then...

It makes me sad to see the building of the Holland Amerika Lijn between these sky scrapers.

I remember the xxxDAMs lying there.

Times change.

Last year I saw somewhere in Italy in a travel agency an advertising of the "Nieuw Amsterdam".

Jan

Edited by jankap

Last year I saw somewhere in Italy in a travel agency an advertising of the "Nieuw Amsterdam".

Jan

In 1944 Corporal Gallagher was not happy with the accommodation of the passengers onboard of the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I found this in the diary of Gallagher, that started around 1941 and ends in 1945. He served in a not spectacular anti aircraft unit 

on the European war theatre. See gallagherstory.com at Chapter 11.

Jan

Edited by jankap

It's in my agenda.

If you want I can see if i can organise a tour in the Fotomusuem?

Michiel, Sounds like a great idea. let's convene somewhere in feb with some coffee (being tea for me).

The agenda is not published yet.

By the way, I was in Schiedam and liked Elspeth Diederix's photos. 

Yes, lets do that.

I also liked Elspeth Diederix in Schiedam very much.

Michiel, Sounds like a great idea. let's convene somewhere in feb with some coffee (being tea for me).

The agenda is not published yet.

By the way, I was in Schiedam and liked Elspeth Diederix's photos. 

Great! 

They are waiting for you

A picture from het Noordereiland looking to the New Town area. 

albert

Edited by Alberti

Any registration required? Would love to join.

Thanks,

I will come up with a list in due time: and the mechanism will be self-registering.

Please also tick the small tab to on the top of the page to follow this topic.

Tourists having a guided tour in a Thai electric taxi. Just blends in with the colors of those funny houses.