MP240 Info Display?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I admit to not using my MP240 enough.  In many ways, I still prefer film but it is nice to have both available.  I have been playing with my MP240 and have discovered a display I cannot figure out.  When I press the info button, the screen comes up and most of it is self explanatory.  But down in the lower right corner, there is a scale that is obviously exposure compensation as it goes from -3 to +3.  I cannot figure out what this scale is for.  Exposure compensation is turned off and the scale goes away but comes back when the focus button on the front of the camera is pushed.  

I have the Leica M Expanded Guid by David Taylor and cannot find anything in there.  So what am I looking at here?  Presently, the blinking indicator on the scale is at -3 and I cannot get it to move even when I adjust the exposure comp readout in the viewfinder to 0.

Thanks, Rich

I may just have answered my own question as moving the aperture and point the camera at different areas gets the display to move.  I am guessing that it is there just for information on exposure when "info" in pressed and has nothing to do with exposure compensation etc.  Please let me know if I am correct.

I may just have answered my own question as moving the aperture and point the camera at different areas gets the display to move.  I am guessing that it is there just for information on exposure when "info" in pressed and has nothing to do with exposure compensation etc.  Please let me know if I am correct.

Rich,

It is an electronic level indicator. You can try to pitch and roll your camera to see the changes from this indicator.

Dennis

Don't believe it is an electronic level indicator.  I moved the camera and nothing happened on the indicator.  If I change aperture, then it changes.  And Taylor's book calls it an exposure index but does not say anything about how to change it.  I just wanted to make sure it was not an exposure compensation display which would cause the camera to make the exposure compensations when I thought it was turned off

Rich,

This scale shows only when you set the shutter ring to "manual" speed (not on "A" or "B").

In this case, it shows the difference in EV to the "right exposure" measured by the M.

You have the same scale in LV mode (after pushing "info") with histogram, and in my view more visible when turning the shutter ring in "M" and in "real time",

what would be the picture (density wise) on the LCD.

• Like 1