New Sensor, first shot.

XVarior

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

One of my hiking friend and his V-Lux during a windy high-altitude hike.

My M9 got a new sensor and this shot was the very first shots taken with it. Still need to make more shots in order to see if it differs from the original one.

Anyone noted a difference?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I don’t think you would notice any difference.

On a side notes. Your shot is into direct light source. Depending on how much light passes through it may overload the sensor and you’ll get weird green artifacts in your image. But so far so good. We’re you expecting anything different?

Edited by low325
  • Like 1

I don’t think you would notice any difference.

On a side notes. Your shot is into direct light source. Depending on how much light passes through it may overload the sensor and you’ll get weird green artifacts in your image. But so far so good. We’re you expecting anything different?

I'm not expecting anything different but some owners has suggested the new sensor is not exactly the same as the original one "color wise" it's gonna be only possible to verify that comparing the 2 sensors on a 2 different M9 under a very controlled suit lighting environment. Bu, so far so good, the M9 is back and I'm enjoying it :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

My understanding is that the sensor (the electronics) was not changed the cover glass was new, hence "new sensor" as the package complete is usually by convention called the sensor. That cover glass change necessitated a change in the "colour profiling" (I'm sure there is a more precise technical term but that will do) which was performed to match as close as possible the original. 

AFAIK no one has noted an obvious and reproducible point of difference.

I'm sure there will have been reports of a difference just as each iteration of M8 firmware back in the day noticeably improved the low light noise despite it not being in the release notes of course and was never actually there  ;)

Having "lost" the original sensor you will need to have taken elaborately constructed comparison shots (lenses, lighting, processing etc) before the change that you can now reproduce with the new sensor to compare and measure without that it is subjective judgement, see above sentence. 

No harm looking of course  :)

Hi there,

One of my hiking friend and his V-Lux during a windy high-altitude hike.

My M9 got a new sensor and this shot was the very first shots taken with it. Still need to make more shots in order to see if it differs from the original one.

Anyone noted a difference?

Did you NEED a difference?

So nice to see you posting again. I’ve missed seeing your work. I had my sensor changed last year and call me crazy but I do think there is a positive difference. I can’t quantify it - I’ve done no testing - don’t care to. But I’m happy and that’s really what it’s all about.

After having my sensor changed I also felt like there was a positive difference. I put this down to the fact I'd been without it for a few months and was just happy to have it back!

That’s what I thought

• Like 1

Not the single very first, but the first day my just returned M9-P bodies came home from NJ with the, hopefully, last replacement sensors. This with the 135/4.0 Tele-Elmar, wide open @ 1/125 @ ISO 160. The initial shots were confirming everything worked, and immediately deleted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JSU
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After having my sensor changed I also felt like there was a positive difference. I put this down to the fact I'd been without it for a few months and was just happy to have it back!

I'm sure this is the case. I felt sure my M9 was better after its trip to Wetzlar. Went with a u/s shutter, came back with a new sensor. But absence definitely made the heart fonder.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...