Apple now supports Leica CL raw dng looks like

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

This morning I downloaded Leica CL dng file from dpreview onto my macbook, as part of making up my mind if i should gte one, it did not recognize the file correctly, I could open it but it looked horrible.

Downloaded the latest Mac OSX update, tried again and boom it looks like they are supporting the camera now.

JK

I've never noticed any problem with CL files on my Macs from the start. It must have been some setting that was corrected by your update, or you were running some venerable version of OSX. Sabretooth Tiger perhaps? :lol:

I haven't updated my iPad Pro recently, but that has only ever shown the embedded JPG when viewed, unlike the SL files which show at full res. 

It does selectively import the DNG's when both DNG+JPG exist on a card so I assume it's a failure of the rendering bit of the OS recognising the CL DNG's ......

I've got fed up updating Apple's OS as on my Mac/phone/ipads it always knackers the settings and I have to re-enter multiple passwords ...... most of which I have forgotten.

Changing to High Sierra involved 2 weeks of sustained torture till I had weeded out various conflicting applications and upgraded Parallels, Windows and lots of other bits (at considerable expense) to get the Mac working without hanging and crashing all the time. 

[...] Imported the dng into Photos and it had lots of artifacts/was pixelated and the exif didnt show. [...]

Interesting indeed. My Photos.app v2 from July 2017 (Sierra 10.12.6) seems to work fine with DNG files from the CL. At least it did a couple of minutes ago when i tried Photos for the first time to be honest so perhaps i did something wrong.   

I alway update iOS and macOS (and tvOS and watchOS) whenever the updates are released, with few exceptions. Several third party apps have dropped off the compatible list over the years, but since I do the updates whenever they happen, the jump to a new app tends to be small and incremental. I've not had any difficulties or undue problems in remembering configurations and/or passwords, with any of the operating system updates. 

BTW, on macOS you can always look up whatever passwords the system was securely caching for you by going into the Keychain Access app (in the Utilities folder) and searching for password entries. Of course, you'll need the system password or an account password to get the data... :) Sometimes you find several passwords for a particular service, but that's because it tends to store all of the passwords you might have used for that service. Keychain Access is also a good app to create secure notes and list passwords and access codes for yourself that the OS itself doesn't store automatically. 

I remember I looked up the macOS and iOS Raw Camera compatibility listings before I bought the CL and found that it required a relatively recent version of macOS for the correct camera calibration profile, but just which revision it was added into I can't recall anymore. 

Few months ago, during a trip, I transferred my jpg+Raw files to my iPad Pro in which I could only view the jpg files. But then, at home, when I downloaded all my files from my iPad to my then Windows, both my files were there without any problem.

I never tried with my IMac that has since replaced my Windows. I wonder if this is working the same way with IMac and the latest OS.?

Right now, I am on a road trip in the Mid West US and shooting only on raw. I haven’t tried it, but if I can save my raw (dng) files on my iPad to process later on my iMac, it could be a great help to save some memory.

My Macs are too old now to update the OS. My macPro in the studio (music) is running El Cap as this is the latest that will run my soundcard.

My MacbookAir is on ElCap too as it is a 2012 13" i7 version. I'm not sure my macbookair would benefit at all from an update to high sierra, In fact, my Wife's iMac went into weird mode after she tried to update, everything was slow and choppy (12GB RAM, i5 quadcore) we had to reinstall lightroom, it would not recognise or install her wacom pad etc etc etc.

No update for me, however, I have no issue with viewing or editing DNG files from the CL or any other camera I have owned. 

My Macs are too old now to update the OS. My macPro in the studio (music) is running El Cap as this is the latest that will run my soundcard.

My MacbookAir is on ElCap too as it is a 2012 13" i7 version. I'm not sure my macbookair would benefit at all from an update to high sierra, In fact, my Wife's iMac went into weird mode after she tried to update, everything was slow and choppy (12GB RAM, i5 quadcore) we had to reinstall lightroom, it would not recognise or install her wacom pad etc etc etc.

No update for me, however, I have no issue with viewing or editing DNG files from the CL or any other camera I have owned.

Good conversation but how do the conversions look compared to Lightroom & C1?

Good conversation but how do the conversions look compared to Lightroom & C1?

Not sure I follow your point, I use lightroom to edit my photos and also Photoshop when a little more editing is required, my point was about installing high sierra onto older machines.

Slightly surprised. My mid-2010 MacPro runs smoothly on High Sierra 10.13.4, my Macbook Air mid-2011 as well.

I just received a CL (used) and checked if a Mac Mini running El Capitan would open a DNG file from the CL. It did not. Just a grey box. JPG, no problem. Even DNG's from the original T, no problem.

Used to be, installing the latest Digital Camera RAW update was all that was needed. But no more. I guess Apple stopped issuing those updates when Aperture was replaced. Support for RAW files is now embedded deeper inside the OS.

While I have free use of the Mini it is not mine. So an OS upgrade to High Sierra that would enable full use of the CL isn't likely. As iPads replaced just about all other computing needs I now have a used but new to me camera storing files I can't open. And that leaves only one choice. It's time for a hardware refresh!