Screw to M adapter: do I need more than one?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I regularly use a iiif and a iiig. I am considering buying an M2. The Summitar that I own came with a (Voigtlander) screw to M adapter, 50mm and 75mm. Now I have three lenses I am likely to use on an M2; 35mm, 50mm, 90mm. I understand that the various adapters bring up the correct frame lines in the M viewfinder: is there any reason why I shouldn't use just my existing adapter and use the frame selector lever on the M to bring up the correct frame lines for whichever lens I use? I am pretty ignorant regarding the technicalities of M cameras so ask for understanding if I am asking a silly question! Any advice will be much appreciated!

You are correct.

You can "use" the frame selector for other frame lines than 50mm.

Or why not "use" an external  viewfinder (I think that what you use on your IIIf/g now), same shoe mount on M2 :p.

But each time a spring loaded mechanism recalls the frame of 50mm.

Sometimes, when I don't have the right adapter, I just put a folded metro ticket (or a piece of cardboard/rubber) to hold the lever at "right frame lines" at will.

• Like 1

What's a Leica rangefinder worth showing wrong frames?
Three different possible positions of the rangefinder lever means you need three different adapter rings - of course only if you're using the according lenses.
Or you take only M-lenses for your Leica-M - then you'll never need one.
Another pont is that changing lenses will get much quicker if you mustn't threw off and on the ltm-lenses every time but with leaving them together with its adapter ring you can use them like normal M-lenses.
That's the reason why some professionals in former times glued these adapters to their ltm-lenses - and made them worthless for collectors.
Edited by mnutzer

To make using LTM lenses on an M a pleasant and quick experience, I always fit the correct mount adapter to each lens. I've used the Voigtländer adapters because I like their finish quality and machining. 

The cost is a trifle compared to the cost of even an old Leica lens, so why not? 

• Like 1

It is totally unpractical to leave the adapter in the M mount and use the camera as an LTM one. The framelines will only be correct in 33.3% of the cases and you must remove the adapter (using the lugs of an old type rear lens cap) each time you want to use an M lens.

Each lens its own adapter is the way to go.

• Like 2