Neopren Case M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had a Large Front neopren case for some months and yesterday managed to get a Small Front one as well. To my mind these cases are excellent, they are light weight, protect the camera, cost so little it does not matter too much if they get scuffed – though they seem to be very resilient – and best of all they are very unobtrusive. Nobody gives the camera a second glance.

There is one aspect which I think could be improved and that is the piece of tape which the camera strap goes through to prevent the case falling off when it is opened. This is a continuous loop and to get the case off requires the camera strap to be removed and refitted which, as everyone who has done it knows, is not to be undertaken lightly!

My suggestion is that this loop be modified, e.g. with some Velcro, so that it can be taken off and put back on the camera strap easily. My wife has agreed to get her sewing machine out and custom modify my cases with some Velcro.

What do others who have experience of using these cases think?

It is a problem indeed. I have at times used a smooth string or a keyring for faster connection between the camera and the bag.

But having the otherwise very useful case hang there during a shooting session is not such an appealing solution in the first place.

So what do I do? Shove it in a pocket or tie it to my belt while shooting.

I entirely agree about the silly strap loop - not just because it is a continuous loop (daft), but more seriously, it ensures the case hangs over the right front of the camera and obstructs both the controls and the lens (stupid).

I have to disagree about the excellence of the neoprene case. It is a truly hopeless design - I really struggle to get it off quickly and getting it back on again is an exercise in contortionism. When its on it doesn't even fully cover the most vulnerable component - the LCD screen and because it is open at the back it offers little protection in dusty conditions. Finally, its made of such thin neoprene that its protective qualities are questionable.

All in all, its a poorly designed piece of cheap tat, sold at an inflated price and not worthy of Leica. This irritates me because it would be so easy to make it so much better!

I never attach the case to the strap. I've found a problem if you let the case hang from the strap while taking a photograph. The swinging case acts as a pendulum with the fulcrum being your hand and the camera a short extention on the pendulum top. There is a huge mechanical advantage between the case and the camera, making it impossible to prevent the camera from moving as the case swings.

Bob.

........I have to disagree about the excellence of the neoprene case. It is a truly hopeless design - I really struggle to get it off quickly and getting it back on again is an exercise in contortionism. When its on it doesn't even fully cover the most vulnerable component - the LCD screen and because it is open at the back it offers little protection in dusty conditions. Finally, its made of such thin neoprene that its protective qualities are questionable. ........

I‘m intrigued. I agree the neopren case can be “difficult” to get back on, but I find it very easy to remove – just one lifting movement right over the top and front of the camera. I thought this might dislodge lens caps but it never has so far.

My cases absolutely completely cover the LCD screen when they are closed. I agree that some dust and dirt could find its way in, but that is true of every case I’ve ever used. It is obvious that the small front case will not cover the camera properly if certain lenses are fitted.

I entirely agree about the silly strap loop - not just because it is a continuous loop (daft), but more seriously, it ensures the case hangs over the right front of the camera and obstructs both the controls and the lens (stupid).

I have to disagree about the excellence of the neoprene case. It is a truly hopeless design - I really struggle to get it off quickly and getting it back on again is an exercise in contortionism. When its on it doesn't even fully cover the most vulnerable component - the LCD screen and because it is open at the back it offers little protection in dusty conditions. Finally, its made of such thin neoprene that its protective qualities are questionable.

All in all, its a poorly designed piece of cheap tat, sold at an inflated price and not worthy of Leica. This irritates me because it would be so easy to make it so much better!

I disagree with this reviewer. This neoprene case protects my M8 quite nicely, and at $50 it is the cheapest Leica accessory sold, it is not? It fits the camera and lens snugly it that is interpreted as irritating, then that is an interpretation I don't agree with. If it fit more loosely, then someone would complain about that. I do agree with it needing a removable/velcro attachment loop.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I didn't like mine at first, and stopped using it for a while. But, now I understand its two main advantages: (1) good protection (completely covers the LCD... not sure what the comment above to the contrary was about), and (2) only case that can be easily stuffed in a pocket. I use it a lot now.

I don't hook it on my camera strap... too much flopping around. Occasionally I just grip it with my hand while shooting.

--Marc

ImageIngester.com

So what do I do? Shove it in a pocket or tie it to my belt while shooting.

Agreed. I just jam it into a pocket, also, and this works well for me.

In response to some of the other comments above, I've found this case to be *best* as a protector when I want to transport my M8. It's good just to keep the camera from getting scuffed against other items in my bag (not a camera bag) and in my opinion it does this well.

I don't see this as a "good" case for "put on, take off, put on" situations. More like a "put it on, transport the camera, shuck it out of the case and leave it out of the case until ready to transport the camera back."

I don't understand the comment I did read about "hard to remove the case"--one quick unwrap-pull (with the camera hanging from my neck) and the case comes right off. Just my comment about it--I may find it easy and others may find it difficult.

I, too, have the neoprene case but my M8 just refused to wear it point blank, muttering something about preferring sable to synthetic rubber thank you very much.

Then my D2 stepped in and adopted it claiming that it preferred the neoprene to its gorgeous Leicatime leather 'straight-jacket'. I now suspect that my D2 may be a fetishist. Hey-ho, each to its own. :p

Either way, I haven't had a problem taking it off the D2 or the M8 and since I don't use the strap loop it hasn't been a problem.

Pete,

I have been using a Zing case made for small SLRs and it has enough stretch to work work a 90mm cron. I think they were the originators of the neoprene stretch case idea and the one that I have on the M8 goes back to when they were still an independent start up company. Great for transpot protection and stashing in a pocket. They also make some pouches that will hold M lenses. with a belt loop.

Bob

I've been using the neoprene case (large) without much difficulty. I put it in my pocket when it's off the M8. I do find it a little slow to get back on and I don't seem to have enough space to handle the 75 1.4, where it can't fully close or cover the LCD. I wish the large size had an extra cm or 2 on the front for the longer 75.