Any reason for the CL and TL forums not to be merged?

Well, I'm not Central European and not bilingual (something like quadrolingual really :p) You were the one to advocate Google translate ;)

Not advocating, just saying it is now good enough for those who need it. I read multiple languages, too, including German. But for me, the more important point is that the photographs don't get fully appreciated because of a somewhat arbitrary language barrier. It seems somewhat outdated in our world...

Not everybody reads multiple languages. I don't read German so i would not stay here if i had to translate German posts into French or English personally. YMMV. BTW this forum is not English but International so German posters are welcome here needless to say. 

sure, so we're stuck on the language thing, when communicating through the written word is only one (admittedly, very big) reason to be here: to discuss cameras, etc. The other big reason to be here is to post and in turn to admire photos. Surely there might be some kind of experiment to see how we could have common photo postings. The casual remark within what are essentially photo postings can be translated pretty accurately by a click of the google translate button, if desired. that's the only reason I introduced google translate into this discussion.

sure, so we're stuck on the language thing, when communicating through the written word is only one (admittedly, very big) reason to be here: to discuss cameras, etc. The other big reason to be here is to post and in turn to admire photos. Surely there might be some kind of experiment to see how we could have common photo postings. The casual remark within what are essentially photo postings can be translated pretty accurately by a click of the google translate button, if desired. that's the only reason I introduced google translate into this discussion.

An idea I have had as well. Both the photo styles and the critique are vastly different between the German side and the International side. A merging of the Photoforums might produce interesting results. Or a work overload for the moderators :( .

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An idea I have had as well. Both the photo styles and the critique are vastly different between the German side and the International side. A merging of the Photoforums might produce interesting results. Or a work overload for the moderators :( .

Yes, I agree: after my last post, I thought: easy for me to say, but the mods already do a lot, and this might require a lot of technology that's not out-of-the-box. Maybe as a Q user, I should just organize "visiting day" with our German Q posters?

I occasionally dip into the German language side of the site as I do have a little German and can read or translate posts that are interesting. But it does take time and effort to work with a language that you're not thoroughly at ease with and so it becomes a small part of my enjoyment of the site, never mind that it's even more difficult to add thoughts and comments with an often hap-hazard machine translation in the middle. 

So mostly I stick to the 'international' pages, which are by and large mostly English language. 

• 4 weeks later...

Merger will be considered in the next make-over.

Please give me some weeks, I'm just about to leave for vacation...

Andreas

Hello Andreas,

I hope you had great vacation. I noticed some changes are being made to the site and I was wondering if it was possible to have the exit of the shots by hovering on them? It would be really helpful for those like me who wish to have more details about a photo. The way it is now is not very practical.

I was discussing with some friends on DPreview, and this is the issue I often hear from them!

Thanks

Edited by Louis

Hmm. Hi Louis,

I usually don't include EXIF data with my posted photographs ... I list "tech info" for people who want to know equipment and exposure specifics, but I think looking at other folks' EXIF data is vastly overrated and distracts from being interested in viewing their photographs. Photographs, to me, are more than the sum of equipment, date, location, adjustments, and all that stuff.

Just my personal opinion, of course. I use EXIF data when I'm working with my photographs but never look at it on posted photographs.

• Like 1

Hmm. Hi Louis,

I usually don't include EXIF data with my posted photographs ... I list "tech info" for people who want to know equipment and exposure specifics, but I think looking at other folks' EXIF data is vastly overrated and distracts from being interested in viewing their photographs. Photographs, to me, are more than the sum of equipment, date, location, adjustments, and all that stuff.

Just my personal opinion, of course. I use EXIF data when I'm working with my photographs but never look at it on posted photographs.

Hello Godfrey,

I very well understand your point. But as my main purpose of participating in photography forums is to learn, the exit has always been quite important for me. I also know many other friends who think like me. Of course, including the exit should not be an obligation. But it is good to have it if someone is interested for some details of a shot for learning. More importantly, I believe this is important for a photography site to give this option to members.

As I recently moved from Windows to Apple, I am very frustrated to see some of my exit lost! For fun, I also started to participate in LFI and Few times I was asked about the exit of my shots in order to include them to different galleries, but I couldn’t find them!!!... I was very excited to have five of my shots that had an exit praised by LFI during the past few months. All that said, I find it helpful to have the exit of shots that I like. :)

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

I hope you had great vacation. I noticed some changes are being made to the site and I was wondering if it was possible to have the exit of the shots by hovering on them?

You mean the EXIFs, right?

The next software update will bring some improvements in this direction, but I have to check out if it includes this feature.

Andreas

• Like 2

You mean the EXIFs, right?The next software update will bring some improvements in this direction, but I have to check out if it includes this feature.Andreas

Yes, of course, EXIFs. Sorry for the typo.

Great news; thanks very much.

Kind regards,

Louis