Any reason for the CL and TL forums not to be merged?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I want to start a thread about a lens, or show a few images, it seems daft that the audience is split into two sections. TL and CL are the same system, sensor, mount etc, so why are they not under the same forum header?

Understand if this was just due to high demand / post count upon release, but its settled down now so can we merge?

While the lenses and sensors are the same, the things most often asked about (UI, configuration, workflow, features, etc) are very different between them. The same lens on the two cameras may perform the same, but how you use it with the cameras may differ quite a bit.

I’d imagine that if what you’re looking for is audience for your photo, one of the categoried gallery forums would be more apropos. If you have questions or want to show some results by a particular lens, the context of what camera it’s fitted to may be just as important as the lens or photo.

Perhaps we need a forum for T/TL lenses, just like there’s a forum for M and R lenses. ...?

• Like 3

When the CL was launched, the same comment was made here, that T/TL/TL2 and CL were essentially different aspects of the same APS-C system.

I recall (I think?) Andreas agreeing with this argument and saying that, after a while, he expected to merge the two.

I don't know why they couldn't have been merged immediately - something to do with SEOs and Google search optimisation??

I agree, it's annoying to see them separate. Leica doesn't separate them.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

..., he expected to merge the two.

I don't know why they couldn't have been merged immediately - something to do with SEOs and Google search optimisation??

In the age of Google searches, if Leica had half an ounce of common sense they would not have reused the CL body name or used a generic M for the Type.240 body.

All for merging the forums.

While the lenses and sensors are the same, the things most often asked about (UI, configuration, workflow, features, etc) are very different between them. The same lens on the two cameras may perform the same, but how you use it with the cameras may differ quite a bit.

I’d imagine that if what you’re looking for is audience for your photo, one of the categoried gallery forums would be more apropos. If you have questions or want to show some results by a particular lens, the context of what camera it’s fitted to may be just as important as the lens or photo.

Perhaps we need a forum for T/TL lenses, just like there’s a forum for M and R lenses. ...?

Maybe it is possible to have an APS-C forum with CL, TL and lens sections, much like the M forum. I've alerted Andreas to this thread.
  • Like 7

In the past I have asked the powers that be to merge T system with CL..  the response was yes, BUT...  in a while.  It has been quite a while since then, I can only imagine it is not as easy as it seems to make this happen.  As many of us have stated, the common factors of: same sensor, same processor, etc,  Plus …  most importantly to me, the same users .. would indicate a merge to be positive for the site, the forum, and all users involved.  I think of the many CL questions posted that I have I read, that have already been answered in the TL system forum many times.

Many of us have both CL and TL's  and I would venture that most CL users were once T owners .. (or still are).  I have developed friendships with several Cl users when they were using the T system.  Essentially, the separate forums have separated us also.

As far as I am concerned, the built in viewfinder is the only significant difference between the two systems. And that my friends, has little to do with the images produced by either camera.

Sincerely.

Rick  Perry

• Like 1

I was never a T owner so I like the separate forum for the CL. The M digital has separate forums for the various generations. I think keeping the CL separate makes sense.

Yes, same here.

As I said in my earlier comments, the usual questions about these two very different cameras are very different ... so having the CL separate from the TL means having fewer non-relevant threads to wander through to find information for my use. Where they conjoin is on the lenses, and also with the SL for that matter, since they all use the same lens mount and can interoperate compatibly. That's why I suggested an L lens forum like the M and R lens forums that already exist.

An APS-C grouping with subcategories to differentiate TL and CL body designs is a decent idea, but I don't think it occludes the value of a forum dedicated to L-mount lenses and their use.

Edited by ramarren

[...] As many of us have stated, the common factors of: same sensor, same processor, etc,  Plus …  most importantly to me, the same users .. [...] Many of us have both CL and TL's  and I would venture that most CL users were once T owners .. (or still are).  [...]

I must be in the minority then. Chimping and touch screen are not my cup of tea and i'm not interested in T/TL/TL2 issues having nothing to do with the CL. Different beasts IMHO.

Do not mind either way - whatever - the whole Forum is a huge source of information, with a wealth of knowledge that I for one am very grateful for.   A search and you can find the answer to almost any camera/lens related issue.  Today for instance the "R" Forum came to my aid when I simply didn't know why I couldn't mount a x2 APO adaptor to a 80-200 R, there was an old thread concerning the same issue and hey presto - job done.  Thank you Leica-Forum, to merge or not to merge, either way I will be happy.

The urge to merge is a noble one in a world where suddenly it's every person for themselves. I don't have any of these cameras, but follow each thread, as I admire the great photography and learn an awful lot.

But the biggest shame is the separate English and German sites. Photographs, that don't have a language, go unappreciated by many who don't visit the other site. And as for when there is written language, for those who don't read the other language, Google Translate has become far better. I don't know if fully merging them would work, but it is sad that they are so separate....