Where are thge lenses for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As long as we are doing Leica's business planning for them, and reading tea leaves to get the underlying data, what do you all think motivated Leica to start giving away M-to-L adapters with each CL body sold? [...]

The CL would not sell well on some markets i've been told. Just a rumor though. See also dpreview.

As long as we are doing Leica's business planning for them, and reading tea leaves to get the underlying data, what do you all think motivated Leica to start giving away M-to-L adapters with each CL body sold?  A gap in CL lens availablility, perhaps? 

More likely as jaap's thoughts, to encourage M owners to give the CL a try, and CL users to buy an M lens.  The offer actually made me a little mad having had to pay the full price for mine.  Other manufacturer's (Canon for instance), have given away adaptor's at the start of the new model run, they certainly did with their mirrorless models.  I considered that good marketing practise, after all, early adopters are usually paying a premium anyway.   

The CL would not sell well on some markets i've been told. Just a rumor though. See also dpreview.

Now you made me click on DPReview... What a sorry bunch of I-wish-it-were-a-Sony-ers.

I think Leica was the last to expect it to sell in the league of cheap mirrorless cameras.

• Like 1

I got my 55-135 from reddot cameras here in the UK, they seem to have stock too, no waiting (except for the guy to go downstairs and get it) I was offered a chilled bottle of water while I waited. I also grabbed the 11-23 as that was also in stock. Service from Ivor, as always, was exceptional.

I know the drama is over now so enjoy your new camera and let's see some images now from your long awaited 55-135.. gauntlet thrown down ;)

• Like 1

Well, for me the drama has just started as UPS just handed over a brand new, perfectly packed, all the way from Vienna 55-135 Leica lens for my CL.

I shall not again go over how ludicrous it was to have to import from across the world, nor how there are still very few in USA or Europe left to purchase but I must thank all the members that posted I should pull my finger out and stop whinging as that prompted my import purchase. I would otherwise likely still be waiting and moaning. I rang RedDot and they said they had none in stock. Indeed, that was where I got the CL from in the first place.

The analogy with cars is, I think, very different. TVR announce a new car, will take limited orders, car available in 2 years. Buyer happy to wait. Same for many other cars. But this was a lens that had been available for years, the dealer I bought the CL (and 18-56 lens) from was quoting a week or so delivery for the longer zoom. Go online and most UK dealers are quoting pre order payment for 5-10 delivery. They have quoted that for three months now so the order and wait situation is totally unknown. And the patience issue is just tosh. 

I must repeat my thanks for excellent service from Leica store in Vienna, the price in euros was about £100 over the cost in UK but when none are available that is not valid. And the delivery was postage free! How good is that? I am well pleased.

So again, many thanks to all

• Like 1

More likely as jaap's thoughts, to encourage M owners to give the CL a try, and CL users to buy an M lens.  The offer actually made me a little mad having had to pay the full price for mine.  Other manufacturer's (Canon for instance), have given away adaptor's at the start of the new model run, they certainly did with their mirrorless models.  I considered that good marketing practise, after all, early adopters are usually paying a premium anyway.   

I just asked the Leica Store SF salesperson if they could give me a spare battery and a half case instead of the adapter, because I already had the adapter. They did, no problem at all.

It never hurts to ask such things. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, for me the drama has just started as UPS just handed over a brand new, perfectly packed, all the way from Vienna 55-135 Leica lens for my CL.

I shall not again go over how ludicrous it was to have to import from across the world... 

I'm glad you have your lens. But, sheesh, if Vienna is halfway across the world from you, what is from New York to me near San Francisco? It's only 980 miles between London and Vienna; it's 3,080 miles to New York from here. I buy from B&H Photo in NYC quite frequently...! 

Distance doesn't exist when buying on-line. Only Time does. And I often get products from Germany or New York in less time than it takes me to travel to San Francisco and back.  :wacko:

BTW: I was curious as to when B&H Photo might get the 11-23mm lens in stock so went to their web page to set up an "in-stock notification" reminder. There was none available, so I engaged customer support to ask why. Well, they couldn't answer that "why" question ... although they did say they'd forward the input to the web marketing team ... but they did tell me that B&H Photo is currently scheduled to have inventory on the Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm available for shipment on October 4th. 

Given my long experience dealing transactions with B&H, that implies that Leica does have a plan for scheduled shipments and is simply out of stock in the distribution chain at the present moment due to a larger than expected demand. In other words, it's all perfectly normal business inventory dynamics for a low-volume company like Leica with a relatively new, hot product.. 

Edited by ramarren

hi ramarran,  Guess this thread show how little I understood the Leica way of life/business.  I usually get my photo gear after a fifteen minute journey. It has been an education. 

""Distance doesn't exist when buying on-line. Only Time does."" OK, but borders do exist. Dependent on route, that 980 covers four/five whole countries. Guess thats a few states for you. But when the borders involve trade embargoes or artificial tariffs, the cost could multiply.

I gather Mr Trump is levying extra charges on foreign goods, what will that do to your lens cost if importing from Europe?

Us in UK face the same issues when Brexit bites.

hi ramarran,  Guess this thread show how little I understood the Leica way of life/business.  I usually get my photo gear after a fifteen minute journey. It has been an education. 

""Distance doesn't exist when buying on-line. Only Time does."" OK, but borders do exist. Dependent on route, that 980 covers four/five whole countries. Guess thats a few states for you. But when the borders involve trade embargoes or artificial tariffs, the cost could multiply.

I gather Mr Trump is levying extra charges on foreign goods, what will that do to your lens cost if importing from Europe?

So far I do not believe the tariffs apply to photographic equipment but that could change. It is all a bunch of $%^#@

Welcome to the world of non-mass-market consumer goods. 

When ordering a camera from a different country, shipment is 99% of the time by air. The only borders that matter are the country of origin and the country of destination. Unless you insist your purchase be transported by overland dog sled and porpoise shuttle across the Channel, of course. :)

I haven't heard of any trade embargoes between Austria and Great Britain, but, given Brexit, I guess you never know. And I have yet to be charged a single penny in import duty on any purchase of photographic equipment whatever, new or used. So I don't know what it matters if some additional costs are embedded in the price of a lens.

Regards that, Brexit or the orange headed creature at the top of the pack of fools in Washington D.C., well ... scratch that. They don't matter. Whatever taxes and tariffs there might be don't matter. If I want to purchase something and have accepted the cost of doing so, that's all that matters. And if you are playing with $3000 camera bodies and $2000 lenses, complaining about whatever unavoidable taxes and shipping charges there might be is simply not Good Form.

Frankly, it smacks of the same false sense of entitlement that I spoke of in my first post to this thread.  :mellow:

Edited by ramarren

This is getting interesting  :) . Btw, many people may have to learn to be patient when wanting to buy a new car, as manufacturers at least here in Europe are facing massive problems in getting their new models certified to meet the new WLTP test. The problem is not that the cars are having difficulties in passing that test, the problem is test capacity. VW and their sister brands will not be able to supply most new car models for some time for exactly that reason, and Porsche is no better. Until recently, they did not even allow you to order a new car to your own specs, and while that may have changed by now, delivery will be well within 2019, also for the reason I mentioned above.

We should consider ourselves lucky that new Leica lenses do not have to meet the WLTP test  ;) .

Cheers, Andy