Where are thge lenses for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a CL with 18-56 lens. Now I want the 55-135 but do you think I can find one? I am in the UK, all the main Leica dealers are happy to take an order but Leica UK say they have no idea when the lenses will be available. I have even looked to USA sites with a view to import but they all have none in stock. What the heck is going on?

Many thanks for the replies but it doesnt explain why there are so few of these lenses available to buy. If I bought a VW Golf, I would hope to buy tyres without importinhg them from Outer Mongolia. I would like to buy a new lens from a dealer, not a used one from Ebay. I have never been unable to buy a lens before in my 40years of photography, guess I was ignorant of the Leica world. I shall have to wait for the Leica faries to collect enough magic dust to make a few lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So far thats about 5 lenses in the whole world. And so I can buy a full price brand new premium lens with no warranty for the UK. When Leica produced the new CL, it seems obvious that would make an increased demand for the few lenses that fit. And I dont want Sl or adapter mount lenses. Im just surprised all the replies suggest Im being lazy or that by being available in countries thousands of miles away Leica is doing its job. In my city, I can buy a Nikon lens from at least ten stockists and a huge choice of lenses. OK, Im being daft comparing Nikon to Leica but there is exclusivity and then there is just stupid.

I do like my CL and at least it came with one lens. Ho hum as Winnie the Pooh said. Thanks for trying to help.

All major shops in a small country have a supply. I cannot be bothered to check for instance Germany. Might I suggest that you order one from the shops that do have one instead of banging your head against the wall about those that don’t.

The warranty argument is complete nonsense. All Leica products have full worldwide factory warranty, and within the EU it does not matter in which country they were bought. I've bought often enough from the UK. On top of that, these were all official Leica dealers.

Selling Leica means selling small numbers at high prices. It is not reasonable to expect shops to be stocked up like they are for Canikosony.

• Like 3

Not sure if they have it in stock David, but if it's any help I (UK also) have ordered several times from the Leica store in Berlin who are so very helpful and ship quickly and at little extra cost from UK, may be worth you asking there.  Hope you find one, it is indeed a very nice lens.

Thank you for some eventually sympathetic replies. I have decided to follow advice and buy from an EU country so I dont pay import tax. Leica Berlin Hamburg nor Munich dont seem to have one but many thanks for the idea. Foka is sold out. CameraNU.nl is sold out. Smits has one in stock but will only ship to Netherlands, Belgium or Germany. 

Am I totally doomed in getting one of these lenses?  I have found one listing but sadly, this importing route will cost about £300 more than the listed prices in the UK but at least I shall have my lens. Thanks to all.

tried here ...... ?

https://www.leicastoreamsterdam.nl/leica-leica-apo-vario-elmar-tl-55-135mm-f-35-45-as.html

with most Leica main dealers if it can be put in a basket it means they have it ......  :huh:

and showing in stock here .....

https://www.leicastore-wien.at/leica-apo-vario-elmar-tl-1-3-5-4-5-55-135-mm-asph-27b128.html

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Thank you for some eventually sympathetic replies. I have decided to follow advice and buy from an EU country so I dont pay import tax. Leica Berlin Hamburg nor Munich dont seem to have one but many thanks for the idea. Foka is sold out. CameraNU.nl is sold out. Smits has one in stock but will only ship to Netherlands, Belgium or Germany. 

Am I totally doomed in getting one of these lenses?  I have found one listing but sadly, this importing route will cost about £300 more than the listed prices in the UK but at least I shall have my lens. Thanks to all.

You can have it shipped through me, if you wish. Or I can call them for you, I know the manager.

Tonight I ordered a lens through Leica Vienna. Only worked when I found that the german for UK is Vereinigtes Königreich. I must thank you all for your help but for Gods sake, what a palaver. It should not be like this. Thanks to Leica Vienna and thanks to Mr Grumpy!

""Thank you for placing your order with Leica Store Vienna. Once your package has been shipped, we will send you an email with a link to track your order. If you have questions about your order, you can send it to office@leicastore-wien.at.""

• Like 1