Bizzarre question...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone...

If you'd had a Leica CL Prime Kit with Elmarit-TL 18mm and - despite the, in my opinion, pretty to negligible difference - you'd be interested to the Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH, would you buy the latter or will you get at the same or lower price a Fujifilm X100F? :huh:

Indeed bizarre ;). My advice would be to decide what purpose you want a camera for first and then buy according to your need. Buying cameras and systems left right and center is going to get you nowhere.

• Like 2

Thank you for you're reply, albeit I don't agree with your opinion...  :D

I believe that it's not a matter about the purpose I want a camera but what I want from a focal. I'd like a 35mm ff equivalent so 23mm would be the choice and for the some amount of money I could choose to have a spare camera with a fixed lens or a similar lens to be moujnted on my Leica CL. I'm simply looking at this kind of choice from a different viewpoint and at the same time it's an invite to you users to move form your personal convinctions:

after all a fixed lens is still a fixed lens, no matter to wich camera is attached.

Ok, a removable lens could be used on another camera when the old one is useless but who knows what would happen in the future?

Buying a camera with a fixed lens doesn't threat you to trash your old set of lenses or to buying others for a new system. Instead of having a new lens I could have a new one with a spare camera sticked to it...  :rolleyes:

Hope that my poor english skills let me clarify my [contorted] mind... :D  

go with the X100f, so you have 2 cool systems, one with a interchangeable lens for the future and one standard 35mm

Thank you for you're reply, albeit I don't agree with your opinion...  :D

I believe that it's not a matter about the purpose I want a camera but what I want from a focal. I'd like a 35mm ff equivalent so 23mm would be the choice and for the some amount of money I could choose to have a spare camera with a fixed lens or a similar lens to be moujnted on my Leica CL. I'm simply looking at this kind of choice from a different viewpoint and at the same time it's an invite to you users to move form your personal convinctions:

after all a fixed lens is still a fixed lens, no matter to wich camera is attached.

Ok, a removable lens could be used on another camera when the old one is useless but who knows what would happen in the future?

Buying a camera with a fixed lens doesn't threat you to trash your old set of lenses or to buying others for a new system. Instead of having a new lens I could have a new one with a spare camera sticked to it...  :rolleyes:

Hope that my poor english skills let me clarify my [contorted] mind... :D  

Cameras vanish, lenses remain. I have no experience with the L 23/2 but if it is a good lens, as expected, you will keep it and use it on future Leica cameras while the Fuji will be outdated. Let alone that the lens will be devaluated less quickly than the Fuji. Been there since the eighties, i still use the same M lenses on the current CL. Now if you need a spare camera you know the answer to your question.

You'd be better off with a Voigtländer Color Skopar 25 (assuming you have the L-M adapter, and if not, even then) with better image quality than the Fuji. The lens is not fast -not very relevant for a wideangle-,  but minuscule and optically excellent.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One step up in speed, size and price would be the Zeiss Biogon ZM 25/2.8

There have been lots of feedback on this forum questioning the IQ of the 18mm. I had one and sold it to a forum member who also sold it as the IQ just didn't seem up to the Leica standard. I think Leica cut back on quality to make it as small as it is.

So if 18-23 is a useful focal length for you why not sell the 18mm and get the 18-56 zoom or if you prefer prime lenses get the 23mm. That is unless you like carrying 2 cameras which I don't.

Also agree with the earlier comments about Leica lenses as to retaining value and use in future cameras.

L lenses might vanish...M lenses are eternal :)

Cameras vanish, lenses remain. I have no experience with the L 23/2 but if it is a good lens, as expected, you will keep it and use it on future Leica cameras while the Fuji will be outdated. Let alone that the lens will be devaluated less quickly than the Fuji. Been there since the eighties, i still use the same M lenses on the current CL. Now if you need a spare camera you know the answer to your question.

• Like 1

Hi everyone...

If you'd had a Leica CL Prime Kit with Elmarit-TL 18mm and - despite the, in my opinion, pretty to negligible difference - you'd be interested to the Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH, would you buy the latter or will you get at the same or lower price a Fujifilm X100F? :huh:

Generally people who want a Leica camera want it for a reason... Fuji is a cost effective alternative, but its only that. An alternative. That not many people on this forum will consider.

• Like 2

liked my Fuji X100, but love my Q. If the Q is 3x more expensive, is it "3x better"? I don't know what that even means. After all, you can get very good, if not excellent, photos out of a cell phone (esp. the Hauwei) and, since you would buy a phone anyway, the camera's free. Every other camera's cost to quality ratio is a multiple of that zero (free), and therefore infinite.

the only question I ask myself is: knowing what I now know, would I buy the Q again? in a heartbeat. 

I imagine CL owners give pretty much the same response.

You'd be better off with a Voigtländer Color Skopar 25 (assuming you have the L-M adapter, and if not, even then) with better image quality than the Fuji. The lens is not fast -not very relevant for a wideangle-,  but minuscule and optically excellent.

I was thinking the same thing.  I never cottoned much to the ~24mm focal on full-frame systems, and the lack of rfdr coupling put me off further from the Skopar or I would have gotten one when I had an Epson RD1, but I have been considering it again now with the Sony mirrorlesses.  As I have 2 of the 21/4 CV lenses (and those are coupled and useful on the M) I haven't yet bought the 25 but still considering it if I were to find one at a bargain price.

Edited by bocaburger

Hi everyone...

As an alternative, look at the optically excellent 11-23mm, it covers the 16-35mm (equivalent) range and add a fast 35 or 50 mm m-mount to the mix.

... Had Fujis in the past. Wouldn't buy another.

... Just because a lens isn't RF coupled doesn't mean it's not useful.

The Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 is a lovely performer on the CL as well, and also on the M-D although it color shifts a bit on the larger format (just like the 21 and 25 mm Color Skopar lenses do, so no surprise there ... nothing that CornerFix can't correct if it's important to you).

I'd much rather have one body and a range of lenses to cover my need than a set of different cameras, each with a different set of controls, different sensors, et cetera. And a set of lenses I can migrate from camera to camera at will.