Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need gentle but significant leverage to remove it. Hacksaw two deep cuts into the filter ring opposite each other, then using the back edge of a stout table knife (don't use the carving knife, just in case you slip) or similar metal bar to span across both cuts use it as a very wide screwdriver. It is a really simple DIY job.

1+

Good suggestion cutting two notches on the filter rim, instead of potentially very sharp knife metal ruler or other flat metal thin plate with blunt edges could provide required turning moment.  I would also suggest once filter glass is broken and removed with the aid of Duck tape protect front lens element before applying hacksaw.

My concern would be countering rotation on the part of the lens into which filter is screwed.  I had a similar problem with Nikkor AF zoom lens some years ago. I managed to remove filter by pressing against the rubber matt (may have been bottom of the shoe) and turning with all my might, afterwards lens needed repair.  Damage to the lens may have been caused by the knock that cracked the filter in the first place i will never know as i rushed to remove the filter.  Thankfully household insurance covered repair bill.

• Like 1

I don't want to sound alarmist, but in two similar cases I had (it occurs to me too often :(  ), the body was found to have cracks around the mount.

Furthermore the lens could (but probably isn't, those Summicrons are pretty robust) be decentred, a shifted sensor is more likely - it is adjusted to a tolerance of 1/1000 mm.

I would have lens and body checked out by Leica all the same. It should be covered by insurance.

• Like 1

Although the pro/ con discussion has been beaten to death in numerous forums, I feel obliged to urge my fellow Leicaists:

1. Use filters, use filters, use filters!

2. Better still: close hip bag properly ;)

40 years of accident free photography passed by in an instant...

M7 & Cron 50 V with Leica UV filter after full drop on asphalt. Body and lens elements seem to be miraculously undamaged (besides minor mark on retractable hood). Focusing is butter smooth and aperture clicks softly (lens and camera visited Wetzlar half a year ago for a full CLA). I still have to find a way to remove the filter, though, which seems cold-welded to the lens thread...

Kind regards

Mathias

attachicon.gif1205670D-72F7-4915-B535-39C0687D0258.jpeg

Matthias, I had a similar experience, see picture: I don't want to be a kill joy but..Although the lens body combination seemed ok, the internal distance between lens and camera was less than normal, about 0,1 mm. It was repaired by Will van Manen perfectly, so maybe give him a ring he has experience with those drops:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

I do not want to cause further damage, as both lens and camera were mint/ near mint before the drop and were functionally better than new after the recent CLA.

Looking at the photo I would suspect that the (male) filter thread near the area of impact has been forced outwards and is now pressing into the (female) filter thread on the lens. To remove it may require considerable force and this risks unscrewing part of the lens assembly. I would let a professional sort it out because if they unscrew the lens they can reassemble and recheck calibration is correct too. Impact damage may otherwise be significant, insignificant or non-existant, but best be on the safe side and ensure that its either non-existant or corrected.

• Like 2

I don't want to sound alarmist, but in two similar cases I had (it occurs to me too often :(  ), the body was found to have cracks around the mount.

Furthermore the lens could (but probably isn't, those Summicrons are pretty robust) be decentred, a shifted sensor is more likely - it is adjusted to a tolerance of 1/1000 mm.

I would have lens and body checked out by Leica all the same. It should be covered by insurance.

I would think, that a shifted sensor in this case would not be the issue Jaap. And interesting, that it happened more than once to you. My insurance said to me I was the only one, with several cases.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Different insurance company? ;)

In my experience Leica always checks and adjusts the sensor in cases like this - they seem to use Laser interference gear, it is as precise as that.

In this case there appears to have been considerable lateral force involved - potentially enough to bend the mount in its body fitting and shift the sensor.

• Like 1

Different insurance company? ;)

In my experience Leica always checks and adjusts the sensor in cases like this - they seem to use Laser interference gear, it is as precise as that.

Not if the case is a M7... ;) i think...

With me different R models - After extensive use with long teles the mount always needed to be realigned after heavy use (by bending :o) I've been to Odin often enough... :rolleyes:

The other cases:

M8 and M9 (twice) :(

Ole Butterfingers strikes again - and again... :ph34r:

Thank you very much, everybody, for sharing your very well thought out DIY suggestions, your mindful caveats and your own mishaps (which did not help my lens, but my soul).

In summary, since camera and lens were really perfect before the drop, and since I would like to have them checked for nonobvious internal damage, I might as well pay Wetzlar a visit again and have them remove the filter. Sending via courier may be safer though, since personal visits expose the owner to the lure of the adjacent Leica Store, which always puts a certain strain on my self-control ;)

Unfortunately I do not have an insurance that covers oafishness :(

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

I know that you've decided to send the lens to Wetzlar's Camera and Lens Emergency Ward but if your wished to see whether there was any damage to the lens you could use an appropriately sized strap wrench, which would provide the amount of purchase needed to unscrew the filter.  Simply coil the strap around the filter and use the handle to give the leverage.

I hope Wetzlar finds that all is well.

Pete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

(All is well that ends well...)

Today I received my gear back from Wetzlar. Turnaround time was 3 weeks plus shipping/ handling. Now it is, again, as good as new!

• M7 Body
    • Rangefinder adjusted
    • No further damage :)
  • Summicron 50 (V)
    • Filter removed/ new filter
    • Hood tube replaced
    • Lens filter thread replaced
    • No further damage :)

I am very happy that this is all that resulted from a 1 m drop to asphalt!

Kind regards

Mathias

• Like 5

Yep! Let the pros do it properly

There are extremely capable amateur camera technicians out there, some of which populate this forum. Alas, I am not one of them.

I have recently tried my hand with servicing some LTM Leica clone FED and Zorki bodies and lenses for practicing, where the stakes are much lower. But with a pristine Cron and a near mint M7 in (prior to drop) perfect working condition, it was very easy for me to face and accept my limitations ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht