Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although the pro/ con discussion has been beaten to death in numerous forums, I feel obliged to urge my fellow Leicaists:

1. Use filters, use filters, use filters!

2. Better still: close hip bag properly ;)

40 years of accident free photography passed by in an instant...

M7 & Cron 50 V with Leica UV filter after full drop on asphalt. Body and lens elements seem to be miraculously undamaged (besides minor mark on retractable hood). Focusing is butter smooth and aperture clicks softly (lens and camera visited Wetzlar half a year ago for a full CLA). I still have to find a way to remove the filter, though, which seems cold-welded to the lens thread...

Kind regards

Mathias

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I used to have a wrench that grabbed from the interior of the filter. Something like that might work

I have tried so far to remove the filter with grippy fine mechanics gloves and with a tightly sized rubber lens ring wrench from Japanese Camera Tools, which usually work wonders. I do not want to cause further damage, as both lens and camera were mint/ near mint before the drop and were functionally better than new after the recent CLA. Maybe I will send it to CS, although this propably will be $$$...

Better than a shattered lens/ camera, though :)

Edited by schattenundlicht

I dropped my M4-2 with CV 35 2.5 lens on it. On concrete. Some marks on the lens filter, but no lens damage. Filter was usable after it. Unfortunately, all of the impact applied on RF prism... It was reglued, but framelines ain't perfect.

• Like 1

Sometimes it is better to crack the filter, remove the glass and leverage the filter ring to one side then pull it out with needle-nose pliers. Place duct tape over the filter glass and use a small punch at the edge of the glass to crack it.

Removing the dents from the lens edge is something I've not done successfully even with the correct tool.

Good luck to you!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's better to send the lens to a technician if you do not believe it yourself.

I would glue (Edit: The filter so that no glass parts fall on the lens when it breaks.)  with a foil, if you slip off and its breaks.

Then just bend the thread of the filter. So the dent to the outside.
Only then can you turn it.

It would also be the possibility to cut with a mini tool (diamond sliding).
Similar to Pico's suggestion.

Edited by Reini
  • Like 1

Mathias, please let us know how they remove the filter ring.  Pico's suggestion makes sense and I bet the technician does something similar if not the same.  One good thing is the ring bent inward and away from the threads so you have a place to start pulling away from the threads.  Once you have a enough daylight between the filter ring and lens thread you could file a break in the ring.  I hope it all turns out ok.  

Ray

• Like 1

Although, as an interventional cardiologist, I am no slouch with regard to general dexterity, I am a humble beginner at DIY camera work. With a less pristine specimen, I would try the excellent suggestions above, but this one I might rather be inclined to give into the hands of a professional.

i think thats a good idea. Curious as to when was the last time you took the filter off this lens. Binding may not have anything to do with the fall. Hard to tell from your photo.

Have you tried pressing the lens, filter down, onto a grippy rubber surface and rotating the lens to loosen the filter?

Although taking it to Leica is a better idea. They can also check there's been no element decentering which may affect image quality.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I had this happen on a canon 35L onto a concrete floor. My heart sank. I very carefully placed broke the glass and used needle nose pliers to slowly turn the filter. I also mounted a shop vac close to it to catch any fine glass dust that might come off. Luckily in my case it worked. I think if it was a cron, I'd send it to Youxin or DAG to get it off.

• Like 1

You need gentle but significant leverage to remove it. Hacksaw two deep cuts into the filter ring opposite each other, then using the back edge of a stout table knife (don't use the carving knife, just in case you slip) or similar metal bar to span across both cuts use it as a very wide screwdriver. It is a really simple DIY job.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1