Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've recently acquired a very cheap 35mm Summicron v4 M in very good shape. However, the front and back elements are filled with dust (or fungus). The edges don't have any obvious fungus or anything. The are only specs here and there, but mostly in the center of the elements.

What do you guys think? Is it dust or fungus?

Here are some pictures:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://image.ibb.co/mWgTto/02.jpg&key=dfa3577007ffc0f89917cf31bdb3e39330b67bfb31a2363fd728084b324bf0ed">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://image.ibb.co/kpqMDo/03.jpg&key=0af36ed154eb04363034ff1865ff57ec6c18e4885d36a42494ed70a9381bd94d">

Seems like quite a few specks. Even if it was dust and not fungus, will you get it cleaned? If so, the action to send it for servicing doesnt change.

Shine a UV light thru it...many fungi will show up in light shades while dust will be black spots.

Could be both, in the centre I see bigger circles which indicates to fungus rather than just dust spots, or is that reflection?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would guess that it's dust because of the very even spread, fungus tends to start in patches.

Looks like dust to me, but the lens looks a bit hazy too. Get the window cleaners (AKA DAG/Krauter) in. 

Looks like dust to me, but the lens looks a bit hazy too. Get the window cleaners (AKA DAG/Krauter) in. 

My phone's camera isn't very good sadly...

The lens is actually very clear! Surprisingly, giving what I paid for it!

I would guess that it's dust because of the very even spread, fungus tends to start in patches.

The centers have more dust than any other area. Maybe it collected dust as it was standing straight on a shelf? Other than that, it's pretty even as you say.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By becerril.rene@gmail.com
      Hi all,
       I would like to ask for your opinion on two Leica Qs that are for sale which I am interested on:
      Leica Q; Serial number 49733XX; Price 2700 €; Condition: New (with 0 shutter releases), expired Leica warranty, sold from a private person Leica Q; Serial number 5217XX; Price  2690 €; Condition: used, some used marks (shutter count unknown), expired Leica warranty; 1 year protection through second hand handler  Which one would you recommend to buy?
       Does the low serial number on the new camera would be an issue? It was probable manufactured at the end of 2016.
       Thanks for your comments
    • By Herr Barnack
      Here's some truly outstanding news for B&W film lovers -

Fujifilm NEOPAN 100 ACROS II shipping November 22nd in 35mm and 120 formats
      https://emulsive.org/articles/fujifilm-neopan-100-acros-ii-shipping-november-22nd-in-35mm-and-120-formats
    • By MEC
      Hello All. 
      I have a Summicron 28mm 2.0 Aspherical Lens. The model on the lens is "4068358" 
      Does anyone have info about this specific version? 
      Thanks, 
      Michael 
    • By peco
      von Michael Gradias - erschienen im Markt + Technik Verlag (23. September 2019).
      ... das kleine und preiswerte Handbuch erklärt die einfachsten Methoden , wie z.B. Gradationskurve, Farbtöne, Farbänderungen, Verfremdungstechniken, verschiedene Fotofilter, S/W-Bilder, Automatische Korrekturen etc. und gibt in kurzer Form wesentliche Hinweise zur Bedienung der beiden Bildbearbeitungsprogramme (Kochbuch mit Hintergrundwissen) - lässt sich in seinen Grundsätzen aber auch auf andere Programme anwenden. 
      für den Einsteiger ein hilfreicher "Einstieg" in die Thematik für den Normal-User mit durchaus interessanten Aha-Effekten für den im üblichen Workflow "Festgefahrenen" die Möglichkeit etwas anderes auszuprobieren für unsere Experten ... kennen wir doch schon alles (für die Puristen ... igitt ... entscheidend ist was aus der Kamera herauskommt und nicht was die Weichware daraus macht). Grüße
      Peter
    • By UltraDan
      Hi, I have a 50mm summicron on an m4 body for film and was looking to pickup a digital body and adapter to use the lens on, I’m looking at the Fuji xpro 1 as it’s available cheaply and the form factor looks similar to my M4. Has anybody used an xpro with Leica m lens’s and if so how did they find the experience ? I’m not overly concerned about image quality as to be honest all digital raw files are easy to manipulate/work with. Other than the xpro there is the Sony Alpha range. Any info on this topic would be great, I have read through the topics on here but wanted an up to date assessment of the idea.

thanks !