Greetings from Ste Genevieve, Missouri, USA - M Countdown has begun!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm Parm and I'm new to this forum. I'm here because I plan to buy a Leica (in the M series) in the next month or so and I wanted to do a bit of research before I made my final choice. I work as a real estate photographer and my current gear is Sony and Canon. I intend to continue using those for work, but I plan to use a Leica for my more artistic work: landscapes, portraits, street--art gallery and portfolio work, generally speaking.

Knowing that I have a limited budget--perhaps $3000 US dollars--I've decided that I will in the short term use my Minolta Rokkor manual focus glass until I can save up for some Leica lenses. With that in mind I've already ordered my K&F Minolta to M mount adapter. Having never used a rangefinder before I freely admit to being a little nervous about nailing focus, but I'm excited about the adventure!

I look forward to meeting and learning from you all. First stop for me will be the M forum... I want to learn as much as I can about the M240, M9 and M8, as these seem to be the options that match my current budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Parm,

The problem with using your minolta lenses with an adapter is that you can't use rangefinder focusing.

You can use live view with the m240, but you won't get any practice using a rangefinder. And the M8 and m9 don't have live view.

If I were you , I would either save up for a leica lens or at least get a cheap lens like a voightlander which would work with the viewfinder.  Buying used Leica lenses is also a great way to go.  

Best,

Michael

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I bought a M8, then traded some other gear in order to pick up a used Zeiss C Biogon 35mm f/2.8 which is en route. It's been an exercise in patience to just look at the body since it's arrived, but the upside is that I've had ample time to learn the menu system, register on the Leica website, get used to the ergonomics, etc. The lens arrives Friday!

• Like 1

And?

Details please  . . .   :D

Thanks for asking, Allan. Incidentally, I lived in Indy in the 90s. Small world!

The lens arrived and it’s very impressive. My first several walkabouts with the M8 have been good learning experiences. I’m new to rangefinders so it’s a bit of an adjustment, but when I nail focus I’ve been really impressed with the images. I posted one shot in the M8 picture thread, and there will be more to come!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...