Contrast and tonal range on the MM1

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know. I just looked through the most recent 4 pages of MM1 images and I don't see all that many grey-in-grey flat images.

I won't argue that all of the images are "good."

I see a couple of images that could be considered flat but I believe that was the intention.

For instance:

42655641565_f4715d1306_b.jpg

I checked those and first as well. And MM2 as well. Not so much of the difference in gobbles of grey :)

I was one going about MM grey images, but looking on film scans at forums and prints at exhibitions helped me to realise what people might prefer it. Not BW, but grey.

On my regular monitor, PC on Jaap's merit shots I could see artaffical black and overblown whites. I prefer then I see details instead of black and overblows, then I call it "full range". :) 

And I overgrown Silver Efex, I'm afraid. Looks like all it does is some removal of image "data". But I like how it does frames. :)

This is over processed but it took literally 5 seconds in SilverFX and looks decent, so I can understand the appeal (took this today). Not to mention it is free. So many different tastes, etc. Another thread was talking about Winogrand and his photos have a lot more greys.

forgot to hit attach.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

When the original Monochrom was launched I purchased the camera and really loved it. and then the Monochrom 2 came along I traded the MM1 in  kept that for a year but didn't really bond with it .

Today I have purchased a near new Henri or original monochrome.  it's so good to have it back. 

[/url]Glad to have my old friend Henri back by Ross Funnell, on Flickr">https://43792326792_9d717a64ad_k.jpgGlad to have my old friend Henri back by Ross Funnell, on Flickr

• Like 1

I checked those and first as well. And MM2 as well. Not so much of the difference in gobbles of grey :)

I was one going about MM grey images, but looking on film scans at forums and prints at exhibitions helped me to realise what people might prefer it. Not BW, but grey.

On my regular monitor, PC on Jaap's merit shots I could see artaffical black and overblown whites. I prefer then I see details instead of black and overblows, then I call it "full range". :)

And I overgrown Silver Efex, I'm afraid. Looks like all it does is some removal of image "data". But I like how it does frames. :)

Just look at that histogram of Dunk's shot:

Nearly all tonal values are completely bunched up to the left half. It has no white point and no black point.That leaves half the tonal range. Tonal range is what the Monochrom is about.

I would suggest you check your monitor, BTW. On my shots black was set at 5,5,5, white at 250,250,250. On my Eizo CG the shadows and highlights are well differentiated and the images would print well. Do you happen to use a Retina screen? Those make a mess of contrast, especially older ones.

I agree that SE is nice for starters, but can easily be bettered.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...My technique is:

Set white and black point in Levels

Adjust tonal range in Levels

Set curves to linear contrat

Dodge and burn

If desired, adjust contrast and brightness

I am a novice -- what is "Set curves to linear contrast" - the concept, since I don't use Lightroom or PS. Thank you.

M240 and some crushed shadows:

27811038387_5515cf05e2_o_d.jpg

Yes, thanks, I knew about S-curves. It is the linear contrast operation that I'm not sure about. Does it mean that you make the line from the black point to the white point a straight line at whatever diagonal it works out to?

It is a preset in the curves dialog.

Am I the only one to see this? Most of the pictures shown in this thread suffer from the ubiquituous issue (i. e. depressed mid-tones) addressed here:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/07/how-to-cure-the-digital-bw-nasties.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/07/look-at-tone-as-light.html

Am I the only one to see this? Most of the pictures shown in this thread suffer from the ubiquituous issue (i. e. depressed mid-tones) addressed here:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/07/how-to-cure-the-digital-bw-nasties.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2017/07/look-at-tone-as-light.html

Can you take one of the images posted on this thread and adjust using the tonal curve adjustments to your liking? (not a smart ass question) 

The article was solid and there is a lot of great info on the site so I appreciate you sharing.

I don't recommend using my image as it was overexposed to begin with. Was using as an example for making a "decent image" from SilverFX in 30 seconds. 

That being said, I could surely use some tips and learning for the tone curve adjustments.

Can you take one of the images posted on this thread and adjust using the tonal curve adjustments to your liking? (not a smart ass question)

Here is one alternative, an S-curve with a shift from the right to take advantage of unused highlight room. Of course, it is a matter of taste and desired mood. Also, the after-shot shows some all-black areas on the rocks. They could be handled with local adjustment or other tools, but some people think a patch of black is good in every photo. The program is Picture Window Pro.

• Like 2

... an S-curve with a shift from the right to take advantage of unused highlight room.

That works admirably well for dkmoore's picture ... but this is not the typical case of depressed mid-tones, unlike almost any other picture in this thread.

That works admirably well for dkmoore's picture ... but this is not the typical case of depressed mid-tones, unlike almost any other picture in this thread.

Just for clarification: the above picture of the rocks was another posters. When you refer to dkmoore's picture are you referring to the rocks or the cityscape?

I am playing around with a similar S curve with my image (cityscape) and it seems to make the overexposure more readily apparent.

The rocks on a beach. That's not your picture? Then why does it appear in a post of yours? Ever heard of that concept named 'copyright'?

Your cityscape does have those dreaded depressed mid-tones.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was referencing other posters images. If you re-read I think you will agree. 

"I see a couple of images that could be considered flat but I believe that was the intention.

For instance:"  

Yes, after the "for instance" I could have added ..."for instance one of the posters images below" 

So much hostility when I am actually trying to learn and understand something....Isn't that the point of this forum?