New SL + M Lenses = ?Manual Mode?

6bit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been shooting with my new SL and M lenses with Leica SL > M adapter. Everything has been going great. I am learning a lot about the camera. The menu system is pretty good even if more complicated than the M10, it is still far better than a Sony. Tonight I dove into trying to shoot manual mode. I noticed I can't adjust the mode because I am use non-AF lenses. Fine. I have aperture and ISO control. What about shutter speed? Am I really stuck using exposure compensation for shutter speed? I am surely missing something and am hoping someone can clarify for me if I can or cannot set a specific shutter speed with my SL + M lens setup.

TIA

I guess I am describing not knowing how to change the mode. I’m in A. Trying to get to Manual. I didn’t realize the back wheel could be pressed in. This camera and it’s features are endless. Thank you for the reply. I’ll try this first thing tomorrow morning.

You only get aperture-priority (A) and manual exposure (M) when a M manual-focus lens is attached. Shutter-priority (S) and program (P) won't work, because the camera can't make any adjustment to the aperture, only you can.

Weird they won’t let you in S mode with an all manual lens. On my Sony’s you can shoot in S mode and I find it very convenient for video. Regardless, I’m just trying to get to M.

Weird they won’t let you in S mode with an all manual lens. On my Sony’s you can shoot in S mode and I find it very convenient for video. Regardless, I’m just trying to get to M.

S mode would be the same as M mode given the camera can not adjust aperture on an all manual lens. What would be the point?

It sounds like an oversight on Sony’s part if you can use S mode with a manual lens.

S mode would be the same as M mode given the camera can not adjust aperture on an all manual lens. What would be the point?

It sounds like an oversight on Sony’s part if you can use S mode with a manual lens.

It just moves the shutter speed to the rear dial on the Sony. No harm in it but your point is well taken.

The manual isn’t perfect but it’s good. You really should spend some time with it as the SL is so customizable that you can configure it very close to your liking. I have mine setup very much like an M body - the round dial on top behind the shutter button controls my shutter speed, and you can even choose which direction makes the speed go up or down. I know it is easy to just reply RTFM, but honestly what makes the SL unique is its flexibility which you will not understand entirely unless you go through the manual and try to apply your desires to the customization of the camera. So.....RTFM ;-)

Edited by trickness