The birthday of a camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Twenty years ago (March 6, 1998, to be exact) I acquired my Leica M6 known as Classic today. It came equipped with a Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH, both brand new.

Since then, a lot of cameras and lenses--Leica and non-Leica, small- and medium-format--have come and gone; my little M6 and the Summicron have remained my beloved instruments of shooting. And that, despite the fact that my style has also changed: it shifted from street and documentary photography to somewhat more personal and compositional.

I sometimes feel this shift in style emerged on good time. As a street photography camera, Leica M6 Classic cannot compete modern tiny, soundless, autofocus, auto-everything, compact and full-frame digital cameras. Yet, M6 lives on its greatest virtue: it's a film camera! And I always wear it with pride!

Paul

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

As a street photography camera, Leica M6 Classic cannot compete modern tiny, soundless, autofocus, auto-everything, compact and full-frame digital cameras. 

I understand what you are trying to say, but why there there should be any competition?

For me personally, if i would be using an auto-everything camera, there wouldn't be so much joy about making a photo, so that will affect my photographic result. 

Yes, always were an analog Leica with pride! :)

I bought my M6 when the model came out ('85?), Last month used both M10 & M6 on a vacation trip, and just got the M6 Ektar processing back. My wife and I agree the M6 results are more appealing, and it sure is a joy to use.

• Like 1

[...] For me personally, if i would be using an auto-everything camera, there wouldn't be so much joy about making a photo, so that will affect my photographic result. [...]

Paul, thanks for your comment.

It is the 'struggle' between weighing the results more than the act of shooting or the other way round. Like you, I prefer the thoughtful ritual of using a film camera.

Paul 

• Like 1