All set up for the lunar eclipse and after 4 clear weeks it has clouded over

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So after four weeks of near cloudless skies at night in the south of France, I am all set up to take pictures of the "Blood Moon". I have put my 600mm Tele-Tessar on the SL via Novoflex CX/Y to M and M adapter L. It is all perfectly ready to take outside with tripod and remote release (I cannot leave it outside, as there a a gang of thieves operating locally at the moment - last night they came in to my grounds with a trailer and stole my locked and chained Yamaha 700 Quad Bike and managed to scrape the trailer when leaving, down the side of my car - not happy!) However, I have just gone outside and the sky to the east is completely clouded over. Not having a lot of luck today. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

there a a gang of thieves operating locally at the moment - last night they came in to my grounds with a trailer and stole my locked and chained Yamaha 700 Quad Bike and

Gads, the thought of that makes me crazy. I'm thinking of buying a transponder powered by the vehicle's battery and with its own internal backup battery. Ideas?

That reminds me of an old National Geographer photographer friend who loved his Harleys and Triumph motorcycles locked as securely as he could in his garage stateside. He said he'd be on location, for example in the middle of a desert, and a flash thought of someone stealing his bikes interrupted him. Sucks. He entertained the fantasy of loading the gas tanks with dynamite with a long delay trigger to 'take out the whole nest' if they were stolen. ;-0

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

SL with R280/4 and Apo Extender 2 and Apo Extender 1.4 stacked - Greetings from Southern Germany

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

So after four weeks of near cloudless skies at night in the south of France, I am all set up to take pictures of the "Blood Moon". I have put my 600mm Tele-Tessar on the SL via Novoflex CX/Y to M and M adapter L. It is all perfectly ready to take outside with tripod and remote release (I cannot leave it outside, as there a a gang of thieves operating locally at the moment - last night they came in to my grounds with a trailer and stole my locked and chained Yamaha 700 Quad Bike and managed to scrape the trailer when leaving, down the side of my car - not happy!) However, I have just gone outside and the sky to the east is completely clouded over. Not having a lot of luck today. 

Wilson

Microscopic Paint left may identify the trailer and could be evidence to find the perps ...

Bob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson

Sorry to hear this, regards, JM.

Good luck... As I am typing it, I guess the eclipse is at the peak or just past the maximum.

Share the pictures. Add an interesting foreground as well if you can. :)

No pictures - too cloudy until just after the end of the eclipse, when of course the clouds started to break up. 

Microscopic Paint left may identify the trailer and could be evidence to find the perps ...

Bob

Sadly the police other than taking a statement have shown no further interest in investigating. We even have a fair idea of who the thieves might be (a travelling circus who were on the football pitch next to my house, the night of the theft - it is a bit of a coincidence that there are always thefts when they are around) and have told the police but they could not even be bothered to send a car to question the suspects or check their premises. I think the police are scared of them. 

Wilson

Wilson

Sorry to hear about the theft.

• Like 1

I had to sweep the clouds away... 

Unfortunately a 90mm is my longest lens. 

Mars is visible below the moon and to the right.

M10, 90mm Summicron, f/4, 8sec, ISO 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10