Apo 90 Summicron SL

Chaemono

Gentlemen, the lens under discussion is one of the best portrait lenses ever made. What's up with all these flowers and still lives? :)

Agree. I’ve used my SL75 only for full body to head shots as the focused area is crisp ( can be further enhanced by fill light) and a an attractive bokeh in the background at F2.

The SL90 has smoother, silkier bokeh because of larger total aperture which is less distracting for portraits. I find the OOF areas of the SL75 wide open a bit busy. Also, different angle of view leads to different distortion. Don’s pictures made me get the SL90 but I’ve been trying it as a walk around lens as well because of its compact size. 90 mm is too tight and a pain most of the time but I do like the reach. The SL75 would be more enjoyable for that.

The SL90 has smoother, silkier bokeh because of larger total aperture which is less distracting for portraits. I find the OOF areas of the SL75 wide open a bit busy. Also, different angle of view leads to different distortion. Don’s pictures made me get the SL90 but I’ve been trying it as a walk around lens as well because of its compact size. 90 mm is too tight and a pain most of the time but I do like the reach. The SL75 would be more enjoyable for that.

Which Don are you are speaking of?? My name is Don too :)

I agree with about the bokeh of the 90 SL... so nice.

I was still sort of undecided about the 75 vs 90 choice, but I am enjoying the 90 a lot. Edited by Donzo98

No, I just saw pictures that were taken with the SL75. I wasn't going to get any of the new SL lenses because I like to use the M10 much more now and have all the lenses I need for that. But I heard that the SL2 is coming in 2019, before it was maybe in 2019 or in 2020, and I figured the SL90 would get more expensive next year. I really like smooth OOF treatment which is not distracting and the pictures you took with this lens showed that. Plus, the SL90 has AF, is weather sealed, and is still quite compact. The SL2 with this lens will be a stunner and it will offer an alternative to the M10 with those excellent lenses. Sometimes it's nice to have AF and face recognition, especially when the DOF is very thin and the head is not stationary even though the object is.

Jelena Matovic seems like a really nice person and she plays the violin very passionately. I asked politely, stepped back (nice to have the reach), and took a few shots for a couple of minutes.

Less compressed JPEGs here (three are just slightly straightened): https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mwMzt8/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/2.0 @1/2000 sec.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 2

Less compressed JPEGs here (three are just slightly straightened): https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mwMzt8/

• Like 1

• Like 1

ISO 200 f/2.0 @1/1600 sec.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 2

Butterfly, 90SL, F2.0

• Like 7

Just a sample to show that flares are completely off-topic with the 90SL (@f2).

• Like 3