Auschwitz

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Could not agree more Rob ... I too worry for my grandchildren!

I had never heard of Ray Allen but what an article - thanks for the read, we should all strive to be that "human

Thank you, Jayne.  

I hope you and your family will find a convenient time one day to take it all in. One does not leave 'the same' after a visit.  

Best, Rob

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 11:43 PM, david strachan said:

Oh, mercy not more.  It's endless, forever, the heart on the sleeve.

Surely time to move on.  Give us all a rest Rob, try to find something more positive.

Over it, and tired, on TV,  Forums, and all discussions, have seen enough and more than get the point.  Almost like compulsory censorship, backwards. I've put up with it all my 67 years...60 of which i certainly understand.

I am sorry for bad humanity...there are more than enough issues now, and in the past,  to worry about..and will always be.  We are just human...really nothing special above other animals...i think.

It's  not about anti-Semitism, and stress that...exactly what the the argument counters...but just absolutely not so.

Mercy...

I just came across this, Dave, and even though you've undoubtedly moved well on from the thread, I feel I, too, must respond....if only for the record.

I cannot look at Rob's photos: I lost family in the Holocaust and, because as a young child, I was exposed directly to the horrors, I get physically ill whenever I view anything to do with the Third Reich (even typing the words is difficult). But that is just me and the aversive behavior modification I suffer from. Everyone mourns human loss in their own way.

There is absolutely no way your post cannot be read as intentionally provocative and hurtful. I'm not accusing you of intending that. But not only does posting such thoughts inevitably invite the kind of response that I just made (and which you undoubtedly don't think fair or accurate), it, quite frankly, violates the sacred ground that we all claim the right to establish in our lives. I'm sure that, like all of us, you have at times thought things but decided not to say anything at all. This was one of those times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Ken and Stephan54.  

A branch of my family tree on my maternal grandmother's side was lost in the camps.  Any relative who had not escaped Eastern Europe by 1935 perished.

Indeed, this historical event rests in "sacred ground".

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

This forum definitely needs a "sorry" button.  Cannot click "like" on your post Rob, and seemed wrong for Ken's post above it, but I'm firmly of the opinion we should never forget or move on and most definitely not with the state of the world at present.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:48 PM, ropo54 said:

A branch of my family tree on my maternal grandmother's side was lost in the camps.  Any relative who had not escaped Eastern Europe by 1935 perished.

Rob

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Boojay said:

This forum definitely needs a "sorry" button.  Cannot click "like" on your post Rob, and seemed wrong for Ken's post above it, but I'm firmly of the opinion we should never forget or move on and most definitely not with the state of the world at present.

Jayne:

It is now 75 years since the camps were liberated.  

Your sentiments and sensitivities are much appreciated, as are those of others, who have recognized the tragic evil which befell the victims of the Nazi madness.  To stay silent, or to brush the sickness aside, is to dishonor the memories of victims and to dismiss not only the enormity of the crimes, but the moral outrage which should remain branded on the perpetrators.  A large part of that society went off the tracks; Nazism was perpetrated not just by a few sick people, but by all strata of society.

Germany's recognition of its crimes and its denouncement is part of its atonement, which hopefully culminates in healing and reconciliation.

But, sweeping aside that history is to diminish its significance. As you so correctly observe, our world is 'wobbling'. Rampant nationalism, social disruption,  wealth inequality,  machines replacing man and climate change, all  have contributed to making 'man' insecure about his/her world, 

If we allow ourselves to forget what the Nazis did, conditions ripen for 'it' to happen again.  

Rob

Last Auschwitz survivors speak- 'We haven't won, but we've taught our grandkids' | The Times of Isra….webloc

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

https://djessemay.com/gallery/memorials.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The story of Polish hero Witold Pilecki, who allowed himself to be captured to be taken to Auschwitz to organize a resistance and to tell the World.

Regrettably, despite news filtering out about the Nazi atrocities in the early 1940s, the U.S. and allies refused to mercifully send aircraft to bomb the camps out of existence (or the railways). 

Witold Pilecki- Polish resistance hero went to Auschwitz to spy on Nazis - The Washington Post.webloc

“They marched in the middle of this road,” she said. “SS men on both sides. Every third of them or so with a German shepherd. I remember mainly women. We knew we couldn’t even show any sympathy as we would be taken with them. I could only watch quietly through the window.”

__________________________

As the Germans were in retreat towards the war's end, 56,000 sick and feeble inmates at Auschwitz were evacuated on a forced to walk by Himmler, whose purpose was: "First, he wanted to eliminate evidence of German crimes and witnesses who could testify to those crimes. He also hoped to use inmates as slave labor to keep the German war going. And rather irrationally, he believed that the prisoners could be used as bargaining chips in any peace negotiations".  Many died (or were shot) along the way to their forced relocations.

--------------------------------------------

“I visited Auschwitz-Birkenau with my wife 10 years ago,” he explained. “I saw a handwritten note left by someone in one of the barracks. It read: We live as long as the memory of us is alive. This message resonated with me strongly.”

Before the Liberation of Auschwitz, a March of Misery - The New York Times.webloc

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 6:48 PM, ropo54 said:

Rob

I are you familiar with https://www.yadvashem.org/remembrance.html

They have an iRemember wall

https://iremember.yadvashem.org/?p=3676

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I are you familiar with https://www.yadvashem.org/remembrance.html

They have an iRemember wall

https://iremember.yadvashem.org/?p=3676

Thank you, Jaap.  

I was last at Yad Vashem in 1999.  (I understand it has since undergone a major renovation). I would like to pay my respects, again, in the not too distant future.

Regards, Rob

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been asked to re-post my picture from another thread and I am doing this with pleasure. Taken last December in Auschwitz Birkenau early in the morning on analog film. I have visited Auschwitz many times and will probably contribute more pictures to this thread

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this thread. I have seen it today the first time.
I can't accept that some don't want to know anything more about it. Especially today when racists and right-wing extremists are getting stronger all over the world, it is all the more important that history is kept alive. At the moment the last eyewitnesses to these atrocities are dying and new Holocaust deniers are trying to downplay or even deny the events. Those who think something like this won't happen again should just remember the horrors of Rwanda or the massacres in the former Yugoslavia. The motives that lead to such atrocities are always the declaration of people as inferior due to their origin, religion or "race".
I grew up in West Germany and in 1983 we went to Poland for a week with our school class and visited, among other things, the Majdanek concentration camp.
I was 16 years old at the time and the impressions there have heavily influenced me to this day. We talked to former prisoners there for a long time and at the beginning I was hesitant to speak to them because I had such a guilty conscience about what my grandparents' generation had done there. Later on, I had a lot of arguments with my grandparents, who had not regretted having been in the NSDAP until death, about their role and their guilt at the time.
One of the former inmates saw that I had a camera in my backpack and asked me to take photos of everything so that I could show the photos to my children later. Otherwise I would not have dared to take photos. I still have the pictures and don't know if I should post them in the forum because they are not that good from a photographic point of view. I was 16 and just starting to take pictures. Perhaps the thread starter should comment on this. If you want, I'll post a few pictures here.
I showed the pictures to my son, who is now 25 years old, and reminded him that he and I are not to blame for the Holocaust, but the responsibility that something like this never happened again ...
I hope my English is reasonably understandable and you are welcome to correct me….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My father lost his whole family except one aunt, I myself,  in my teens worked with a survivor of the camps (his numbers a forever memory).. Let us ALL Never Forget the horrors put upon so many.. To all those that don't believe:- may your Souls wonder aimlessly in the dark, to those  that Perished , may your Souls have Peace.. There was a program on the TV (here) this weekend Expedition Unknown.. it covered many aspects of the Hitler era.. I repeat NEVER AGAIN.... L

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Thank you for this thread. I have seen it today the first time.
I can't accept that some don't want to know anything more about it. Especially today when racists and right-wing extremists are getting stronger all over the world, it is all the more important that history is kept alive. At the moment the last eyewitnesses to these atrocities are dying and new Holocaust deniers are trying to downplay or even deny the events. Those who think something like this won't happen again should just remember the horrors of Rwanda or the massacres in the former Yugoslavia. The motives that lead to such atrocities are always the declaration of people as inferior due to their origin, religion or "race".
I grew up in West Germany and in 1983 we went to Poland for a week with our school class and visited, among other things, the Majdanek concentration camp.
I was 16 years old at the time and the impressions there have heavily influenced me to this day. We talked to former prisoners there for a long time and at the beginning I was hesitant to speak to them because I had such a guilty conscience about what my grandparents' generation had done there. Later on, I had a lot of arguments with my grandparents, who had not regretted having been in the NSDAP until death, about their role and their guilt at the time.
One of the former inmates saw that I had a camera in my backpack and asked me to take photos of everything so that I could show the photos to my children later. Otherwise I would not have dared to take photos. I still have the pictures and don't know if I should post them in the forum because they are not that good from a photographic point of view. I was 16 and just starting to take pictures. Perhaps the thread starter should comment on this. If you want, I'll post a few pictures here.
I showed the pictures to my son, who is now 25 years old, and reminded him that he and I are not to blame for the Holocaust, but the responsibility that something like this never happened again ...
I hope my English is reasonably understandable and you are welcome to correct me….

Verwackelt:

I have posted this thread with the hope that others will read it, see it, and have perspective.  Sadly, we live in perilous times and as Lykaman has commented, we must never forget.

I very much look forward to your posting photographs. 

With much appreciation for your thoughts,

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

Hello Rob, thank you for your reply.
I will show some pictures i took 37 years ago at age of 16 on Orwo Film as i travelled with my school class to Poland.
I did not take any notes which part of the camp i shot. So i do not know every building and place are on which photo. But i think the pictures speak for them self

Edited by verwackelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3