Auschwitz

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Rob

I really want to thank you for this.  At first I couldn't bring myself to look through these but I thought that if you had the courage to go there and share the pictures, I could at least muster the wherewithal to look at them.

I'm glad I did.  This is a very moving set.

- Vikas

Vikas:

Thank you for your note.

Rob

A magnificent bit of reportage!

I was there in 1996 and was stunned by the extent o both I and II. 

Every decent person should visit and bear witness.

Albert 

Thank you, Albert. I could not agree more wholeheartedly with your sentiment. It is stunning.  

Regards,

Rob

Entrance to Auschwitz I

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

The vastness of Auschwitz - Birkenau II.

There were 300 barracks.

Each barrack held between 500-700 prisoners.  There was no insulation from the cold or heat, and the roofs often leaked. A small brick furnace provided the only heat to the unit. The only toilet facility was a single bucket, and diarrhea, lice, and disease were common. (Wikipedia provided additional support).

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 6

To the right side of the photo, the infamous platform from which the selection process of 'right' or 'left' was made -  to the gas chamber, or not.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The infamous Block 10, where Joseph Mengele performed his human experimentation

• Like 7

Rob,

Thanks is for your extraordinary diligence in documenting this horrible place with the Q and for the Leica Forum. I’ve not yet visited there, but I did cry leaving the holocaust museum in Washington DC. The bins of the children shoes who perished will haunt me the rest of my life. Children not shoes. My grammer is insufficient.

The evil perpetrated on the Jews is unfortunately only another example of man’s inhumanity to man. We have to guard against tyrants and evil doers everyday and this is not meant as a political statement related in anyway to current politics.

Thanks Rob.

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks, Dan for your nice note.  I could not agree more with your sentiments.  

We must be ever vigilant, as man's capacity to do evil has yet to be extinguished sufficiently. Sparks need be addressed, lest they turn into wildfires.

Rob

Oh my gosh, Jesse . . . I am so sorry to hear.

I cannot imagine the pain she must have suffered, not just the physical, but the emotional scarring. My deepest sympathies. (I just cannot comprehend the evil). 

Rob

Edited by ropo54

I have visited Auschwitz on one of several trips to Poland primarily as I felt it a place I ought to visit.

The atmosphere embraced me on passing through the entrance. I put my camera back in my bag and there it stayed for the length of my visit.

That was nearly ten years ago now, but I can still picture every corner of the place.

• Like 2

I have visited Auschwitz on one of several trips to Poland primarily as I felt it a place I ought to visit.

The atmosphere embraced me on passing through the entrance. I put my camera back in my bag and there it stayed for the length of my visit.

That was nearly ten years ago now, but I can still picture every corner of the place.

Clactonian,

I had thought the same - should I put my camera back in the bag?  I obviously chose not to, but I understand your sentiment completely.

In hindsight, I am glad that I can share these photos, and will likely create a photo book to share with my children and grandchildren.

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another photo of the Camp.

Near the kitchen, located on the left.

• Like 2

I struggled to post here for some time now, as it seems for me - as a German - inappropriate to find the right words to the inconceivable and most horrible crimes ever accomplished by "my" people - not only in Auschwitz, but all over Europe. As a teenager in the 1980s I visited Auschwitz and was so deeply depressed by the sight, that it left an impact on me for a lifetime. Nowadays I live next to Sachsenhausen and to me this is a constant reminder of the wrongdoings of my ancestors and I will do everything to raise my children in a way, that makes them sensitive for the most important things in live, to keep the own humanity and to be sensible for the ever ongoing threats coming from the polluted thoughts of right wing extremists, nationalists, dictators or other wrongdoers. 

Thank you, Rob, for this series, because I think that these pictures are appropriate to keep the remembrance alive.

My deepest sympathies and thoughts go out to all of you, who have lost relatives there or are otherwise affected by this darkest of time. 

• Like 12

James,

In struggling to find the right words, indeed you did so, so very eloquently. 

We cannot change that which has occurred, nor should we minimize the atrocities nor the guilt. Hopefully we can forgive those who can recognize the evil that transpired,  and give thanks to those who hope for change, and to those who dedicate themselves to snuffing out burning embers of hatred and prejudice.  

At the end of the day, we all bleed the same blood, we feel the same pain. 

I cannot thank you enough for your beautiful words and thoughts.

In friendship - Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...