Auschwitz

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The layouts of Auschwitz I and Auschwitz-Birkenau II. Separated only by a kilometer or two, the Germans determined that gassing of Jews could be done more quickly if the trains came right into the Camp and that those to be executed did not have to spend time to walking. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 6

The layouts of Auschwitz I and Auschwitz-Birkenau II. Separated only by a kilometer or two, the Germans determined that gassing of Jews could be done more quickly if the trains came right into the Camp and that those to be executed did not have to spend time to walking.

There was also Auschwitz III, Monowitz, about ten kilometers away. It was initially set up for slave labor to build the Buna factory. They were worked to death. That was where Elie Wiesel was imprisoned.

Jesse

• Like 1

There was also Auschwitz III, Monowitz, about ten kilometers away. It was initially set up for slave labor to build the Buna factory. They were worked to death. That was where Elie Wiesel was imprisoned.

Jesse

Yes, thanks, Jesse. It has much less notoriety.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Roll call would be taken in the wee hours of the morning. No matter the weather conditions.

If it was determined a prisoner had attempted escape, 10 other prisoners from his barracks would be immediately executed.

If all prisoners could not be accounted for, prisoners would be required to remain standing silently. The longest roll call took 19 hours, requiring the prisoners to stand in miserable weather, while a guard would remain in his booth.

• Like 10

"STOP!"

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is because there are no remaining structures; only a few ruins. The factory site is a functioning factory.

Jesse

Jesse: During my trip to Krakow, I also visited Plaszow Concentration Camp, the camp made famous in "Schindler's List". It is located a few km. outside of town and our driver had actually driven Spielberg around during the filming. He showed several sites in Krakow where various of the movie scenes were filmed. We also visited Schindler's Factory, which is now a museum depicting the plight of the Jews and Poland in Krakow during the War. The ghetto, the round up. 

Very little of Plaszow remains. There is a stunning sculpture in memorial. Some photos below.

Photos 1 and 2: Camp memmorial

Photo 3: Rock quarry where prisoners were forced to labor

• Like 9

Plaszow 

Photo 1: Camp perimeter posts for barbed wire

Photo 2: House used by Nazis who worked at the camp

Photo 3: Camp remains

Photo 4: Original camp display

Photo 4: Camp remains

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 12

One of the reasons I came to realize that Eisenhower was a visionary was when I read a quote of his, displayed hugely as one enters the displays on the third floor (the start) at the National Holocaust Museum in Washington.  He stated he wanted to see it (a death camp) for himself because someday people will deny it ever happened.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons I came to realize that Eisenhower was a visionary was when I read a quote of his, displayed hugely as one enters the displays on the third floor (the start) at the National Holocaust Museum in Washington.  He stated he wanted to see it (a death camp) for himself because someday people will deny it ever happened.

So prescient of Eisenhower. I've been to the Washington D.C. museum and it is just stunning. I have never left without crying. The testimonials from the survivors is so moving and thanks to Spielberg and many others, a history will be preserved.  Rob 

• Like 1

Intracamp summary trials were held by the Gestapo, for crimes such as stealing an extra piece of bread.  Sentences were usually death by shooting at the wall. Prior to execution, prisoners might be held in a cell, some of such a small size that position in a very cramped position would cause further suffering.

(Bottom photo) Before execution, prisoners were taken to a room and stripped naked. Their clothes left there before their sentence was carried out.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 7

A closer view of the poles used to hang bound prisoners to either inflict pain, or to cause shoulder dislocation. These poles were located in the outdoor courtyard where prisoners were shot against the wall.

• Like 6

There were very few successful escapes from Auschwitz. (The chimneys in the rear of the top photo serviced the camp's kitchen).

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 9

The Nazi Commandant lived in this house, which is to the rear of the camp. I recall being told that one of the commandants lived there with his wife and 2 young children and he had described his years there 'as some of his happiest times'.

The area in the middle and bottom photos was where the Gestapo at the camp was located. Prisoners were interrogated, tortured and beaten, and many died during the process.

After the war, the first camp commandant, Rudolf Hoss, was hanged here for his crimes.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 7

The first gas chamber was built at Auschwitz I. The photos that follow are of the gas chamber that remained intact at this section.

Auschwitz-Birkenau II was subsequently built to expand the efficiency of killing in massive numbers. When the Nazis abandoned the camp as Russian forces neared, the gas chambers at Auschwitz-Birkenau were leveled in an attempt to hide evidence of the atrocity that they had committed.

• Like 6

How it worked:  

Jews evacuated from their homes in Europe would arrive by train. Nazis separated those for immediate execution - mothers, young children, feeble persons deemed incapable of labor. They were marched to "showers" where the they would remove their clothes, hang them on numbered hooks (to perpetuate the ruse that their clothes would be reclaimed after the shower),  and proceed into the chamber which had dummy shower nozzles for appearance; the doors were locked, vents were opened and Zyklon B gas was dropped into the chamber which lead to asphyxiation within 20 minutes. 

Bodies were removed by camp prisoners and then burnt in crematoria.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 8