CL leather strap or a traditional Leica camera trap?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How would you like the leather trap comes with the CL?  It has no adjustment in length, and somewhat long...  I have not used it yet in order to keep it totally new, in case need to let go the CL.   

Would think the traditional Leica camera trap that's in all M and R cameras could be a replacement on this CL?  Which one is more usable I wonder... 

Nothing wrong with the Leica strap it comes with, or with the standard M straps for that matter. My usual Street Strap works well on it too.

But I'm using a Peak Design "Leash" strap on mine, because it's easy to take on and off: I use the CL a lot on the copy stand and with macro equipment or a tripod where having a strap flopping about is a bit of a liability because you might snag it and pull the whole rig down. 

How would you like the leather trap comes with the CL?  It has no adjustment in length, and somewhat long...  I have not used it yet in order to keep it totally new, in case need to let go the CL.   

Would think the traditional Leica camera trap that's in all M and R cameras could be a replacement on this CL?  Which one is more usable I wonder... 

I don't think an unused strap adds one cent to the value of a second-hand camera. I use the Peak design system. Extremely practical.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Who can confirm this strap is leather? I think it has suede sewed to plastic. 

Anybody really know or is it just assumed it's leather?

Use a flame of cigarette lighter very close to it. If it starts melting and swivelling it is plastic, if nothing happen for a few second it is real leather. 

Use a flame of cigarette lighter very close to it. If it starts melting and swivelling it is plastic, if nothing happen for a few second it is real leather. 

Thanks. I was trying to avoid that kind of damage if it were plastic. I emailed Leica and they assured me it was leather. I ask because I spent a portion of time (watching the US Open finals) massaging the strap to get it a bit more flexible. I expected more fatigue, that's all. The leather is treated in such a way that soft and supple isn't what they were after. More like hard, stiff, and inflexible.

And I'm in agreement that for a $4K camera, they could have included a buckle and an adjustable strap with a leather protecting pad at the camera lugs. 

• Like 1