It's here! New M 262 owner. Need rookie tips

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all, thank you all for the advice, suggestions and comments on my thread about a 240. In the end, I've just received a like-new M262 and Summicron 35mm ASPH. 

I'm super excited to get out and start learning this new-to-me system. This has been on my mind for a very long time, and honestly wasn't really within reach.  But the time we have is short. My desired outcome is simplicity with excellence. The excellence is there in the capabilities I just need to learn how to see-with and utilize the tool at hand. My shoulders will also appreciate the removal of far too much weight for far too many years. 

So far, I've fired off exactly 1 frame just to check basic functions. I'm so impressed with the look and feel of that one image, and that motivates me like I've not felt for some time. 

Sorry for the long words. I appreciate your patience for my ramble.  What I am looking for are tips and tricks you would offer a complete Leica rookie. I will naturally evolve the way I shoot with this tool, but anything you can suggest would be wonderful. For example, it is more common to use the overlay focus or split image? Does one necessarily work better than another?  (I'll learn through the process, but patience has never been my strongest trait)

Please excuse the terrible iPhone picture, but here it is...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by _Michael

First of all, thank you all for the advice, suggestions and comments on my thread about a 240. In the end, I've just received a like-new M262 and Summicron 35mm ASPH. 

I'm super excited to get out and start learning this new-to-me system. This has been on my mind for a very long time, and honestly wasn't really within reach.  But the time we have is short. My desired outcome is simplicity with excellence. The excellence is there in the capabilities I just need to learn how to see-with and utilize the tool at hand. My shoulders will also appreciate the removal of far too much weight for far too many years. 

So far, I've fired off exactly 1 frame just to check basic functions. I'm so impressed with the look and feel of that one image, and that motivates me like I've not felt for some time. 

Sorry for the long words. I appreciate your patience for my ramble.  What I am looking for are tips and tricks you would offer a complete Leica rookie. I will naturally evolve the way I shoot with this tool, but anything you can suggest would be wonderful. For example, it is more common to use the overlay focus or split image? Does one necessarily work better than another?  (I'll learn through the process, but patience has never been my strongest trait)

Please excuse the terrible iPhone picture, but here it is...

attachicon.gifTyp262a.jpg

Yay!  Congrats, Michael!

You will love this camera and its lens as it is a great combination.  You will love the simplicity of rangefinder focusing, and the framing experience thru an OVF.   You will love the reduction in weight and volume of your photography equipment.  You will not be asked by shopping malls' security guards to put away your cameras.  No more auto-focusing hunting in difficult lighting scenes.  There is one setting which I recommend:  Auto ISO with 1600 Max and shoot away with Aperture mode.  In very low light conditions when ISO is already at 1600 & shutter = 1/focal length, you can underexpose your scene by 1 stop, and you will be amazed by shadow-recovery of raw images that are produced by this sensor.

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Michael,

First congrat for your new M262 plus 35mm.

The best way to know how this nice camera would do what you want is just use it and "make it yours" while doing/not doing "false" operations.

- my view is to learn how to adapt the tool is trying settings then analyze the results

- don't hesitate to quit "A" setting and also let "auto ISO" by now (you may use these later if need be)

- just look at the camera like a film camera (choosing film b&w or color neg or slide then the best ISO to go with the "film")

- if you begin to rely on "auto-everything" from start, you may not "know/learn" how to adapt the tool for your need.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the 262. I too have a 262 and have been very happy with it. No regrets. It's such a simple camera in a refreshing way. 

If this is your first RF experience it takes time and practice to become proficient. Note that the position of the secondary RF image will also show you which way to turn the focus ring.

The majority of the time I now shoot in auto iso in manual mode. Give it a try. It gives you compete control of what matters the most, aperture and shutter speed, while letting the camera choose the ISO. It's like shooting a manual film camera that has a magical roll of film that auto adjusts the ISO each frame. Assign exposure compensation to the back top-right dial and use it as needed to tweak exposures while in auto ISO Manual Mode.

Never delete images in the camera and format the card in the camera every time you insert a card. 

This Sopi Guard screen protector is inexpensive and excellent:

• Like 2

As the rangefinder is key to focusing with the M262, maybe visit dealer with diopters in stock and see if one makes all the difference to clarity for you. I would set an ISO, say at 200, and shutter dial to red [A] to begin with – use the optical device for exposure setting in connection with f choice on your lens when you are more used to the system.

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

Yay!  Congrats, Michael!

You will love this camera and its lens as it is a great combination.  You will love the simplicity of rangefinder focusing, and the framing experience thru an OVF.   You will love the reduction in weight and volume of your photography equipment.  You will not be asked by shopping malls' security guards to put away your cameras.  No more auto-focusing hunting in difficult lighting scenes.  There is one setting which I recommend:  Auto ISO with 1600 Max and shoot away with Aperture mode.  In very low light conditions when ISO is already at 1600 & shutter = 1/focal length, you can underexpose your scene by 1 stop, and you will be amazed by shadow-recovery of raw images that are produced by this sensor.

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate the flexibility of auto-ISO and I will probably end up using it a fair amount,  At the same time I want to get back to basics. I need to better understand the operation through actual use. For example, is there a way to see shutter and/or aperture in the VF? It lookalike the shutter speed is displayed only until the meter is activated. Things that that will take some getting used to. 

Cheers! 

Michael,

First congrat for your new M262 plus 35mm.

The best way to know how this nice camera would do what you want is just use it and "make it yours" while doing/not doing "false" operations.

- my view is to learn how to adapt the tool is trying settings then analyze the results

- don't hesitate to quit "A" setting and also let "auto ISO" by now (you may use these later if need be)

- just look at the camera like a film camera (choosing film b&w or color neg or slide then the best ISO to go with the "film")

- if you begin to rely on "auto-everything" from start, you may not "know/learn" how to adapt the tool for your need.

Thank you. Great suggestions, and this is the approach I am taking. I have a pretty extensive photo background, but for whatever reason rangefinders have eluded me. 

Cheers

Congratulations on the 262. I too have a 262 and have been very happy with it. No regrets. It's such a simple camera in a refreshing way. 

If this is your first RF experience it takes time and practice to become proficient. Note that the position of the secondary RF image will also show you which way to turn the focus ring.

The majority of the time I now shoot in auto iso in manual mode. Give it a try. It gives you compete control of what matters the most, aperture and shutter speed, while letting the camera choose the ISO. It's like shooting a manual film camera that has a magical roll of film that auto adjusts the ISO each frame. Assign exposure compensation to the back top-right dial and use it as needed to tweak exposures while in auto ISO Manual Mode.

Never delete images in the camera and format the card in the camera every time you insert a card. 

This Sopi Guard screen protector is inexpensive and excellent:

Thank you. Your first comment about the focus direction didn't quite make sense...until I tried it. Then it seemed so obvious but also easy to miss.  

I did figure out how to activate exposure compensation on the wheel. There are some different terminologies used in the menu system but I got it there and really appreciate having it. I was super puzzled at first as to why it was buried in the menus. 

Why do you suggest to never delete in-camera?  I do always format my cards in-camera. 

Thanks! 

We each have our own way of working. I typically shoot fullly manual, RF only, no auto ISO or exposure compensation, always format card in camera after successful download via card reader, etc etc. I also position my focus at the infinity position so that there’s only one way to turn, and practice dictates how much.

All of this will become second nature. Just like learning to judge the light without meter reading. Only the hard part remains.... finding a worthy pic. And for me, making a worthy print.

Enjoy.

Jeff

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase. You will love it if you value simplicity and not sweat over things that you don’t have (AF, zoom options in M mount, long exposure and NR off, to name a few). It has taught me to appreciate what you have rather than.. well, I am repeating myself.

Lastly, I remember something I read someplace that makes lots of sense to me. You will shoot good picture if you shoot pictures. Or something like that. Many keep thinking too much about technique rather than taking out the camera, start shooting and learning by experience.

Have fun. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I got out yesterday and had a very small window to grab a few test frames. Lots of junk, but a couple that are acceptable but not wall-hangers.  Here is one more landscape oriented that to me shows what California can be like in the summer; Blue-skies, Palm Trees and out of control brush fires.  What I am impressed with is the color accuracy (from DNG) and detail over the frame. There is a very different look and feel to the images (as everyone knows) and I see that pretty clearly already. (processed quickly in LR CC, cropped to 16x9)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who has been using my M262 for just over a year, one of the biggest things I recommend is picking up a thumb grip, if you haven't already. Coming from using Leica film bodies, I was accustomed to using the film advance lever for extra security and grip, so when I got my M262 last August, it didn't feel as steady in my hand. That was immediately rectified when I tried the thumb grip.

I have the Match Technical EP-10S Thumbs Up Grip for Leica M (Typ 240) and M (Typ 262), and it makes a world of difference. It's a bit pricey for what it does, but in my opinion it has been absolutely worth it for the comfort while using the camera. It's made very well (mine is even starting to brass, which I love). Here's the link to B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1338043&is=REG

• Like 2

As someone who has been using my M262 for just over a year, one of the biggest things I recommend is picking up a thumb grip, if you haven't already. Coming from using Leica film bodies, I was accustomed to using the film advance lever for extra security and grip, so when I got my M262 last August, it didn't feel as steady in my hand. That was immediately rectified when I tried the thumb grip.

I have the Match Technical EP-10S Thumbs Up Grip for Leica M (Typ 240) and M (Typ 262), and it makes a world of difference. It's a bit pricey for what it does, but in my opinion it has been absolutely worth it for the comfort while using the camera. It's made very well (mine is even starting to brass, which I love). Here's the link to B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1338043&is=REG

Thank you Joey!  I was fortunate that the package I acquired included a Thumb's Up. I've been using without the device for the most part just to get a feel for the camera alone. Based on your suggestion and a few others I've been reading I thin I need to give it some more time. 

Cheers

I bought mine in 2016. With my poor eyesight I had to really struggle to master the VF with all diopter and magnification accessories. However once I got the hang of it, this was easy. I personally feel Leica M’s are not fast shooters like other DSLRs but for slow photography. I guess the aim is to spend time on composition rather than firing the trigger 14 fps.

I also discovered Voigtlander lenses, much cheaper but with excellent output.

• Like 1