Tele-Elmar 1:4/135 vs Apo-Telyt R 1:3,4/180

Nordvik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Tele-Elmar is nice to have for close-ups. Here are 3 x Visoflex:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This thread has made think to make a simlar comparision, but between the two APOs (Telyt 135 and Telyt 180) , cropping and resampling the 135 to match 180 : my conclusion is that, practically, isn't Worth to go out with both : in the 2 examples hereunder (one at 3,5 meters, the other at 30-40 meters) the differences are partially "covered" by the resize to 900 horizontal pixels…  but anyway you have to enlarge really strong to appreciate the difference in favor of 180 : I print mostly at 20x30... and I suppose that with this dimension, or even 30x40 would be difficult to distinguish (I don't want to throw away paper and ink for such tests… but maybe one day I'll do… :rolleyes: )

M240 JPG out of camera : first 135 then 180 :

• Like 1

Same sequence 135 then 180, always both at f4 but at a much closer distance :

• Like 1

To give the idea of the enlargement, here are the 2 full frames with 135

This thread has made think to make a simlar comparision, but between the two APOs (Telyt 135 and Telyt 180) , cropping and resampling the 135 to match 180 : my conclusion is that, practically, isn't Worth to go out with both : in the 2 examples hereunder (one at 3,5 meters, the other at 30-40 meters) the differences are partially "covered" by the resize to 900 horizontal pixels… but anyway you have to enlarge really strong to appreciate the difference in favor of 180 : I print mostly at 20x30... and I suppose that with this dimension, or even 30x40 would be difficult to distinguish (I don't want to throw away paper and ink for such tests… but maybe one day I'll do… :rolleyes: )

M240 JPG out of camera : first 135 then 180 :

135_f4_crop100_a_900px.jpg

180_f4_crop100_a_900px.jpg

It matches with my own experience. As I said earlier, there is no point if carrying focal lengths less than 2X apart due to ease of cropping. It looks sane till A3.

Also for print comparison, I don’t print full size, I do further crop (depends on how large full size would have been) and print only 5x7 for a small area that has fine details. No wasting ink, paper and money. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice comparison. So the next question is: Is the APO-Extender R 2x worth it? With M10 and 24 MP i suppose it is, but with a 50 MP (or higher) camera?

Ah… an item that is in my wishlist , specifically for the AT 180... in general I think that 2x is a bit too much for a satisfactory crop  (and , of course… made similar comparision to the above with 90 vs. 180... ;) don't want to bore you again with them… ) . The APO 2x has a good reputation, and saw several examples in the forum… most of all, for me, there is the fact that I LIKE to go long, expecially on mountains… and 180 + 2x extender is uncomparably better to carry than any of my long focals (even better than 250/280... not to speak of 400... :angry: ).

I have the regular 2x's extender that came with my 60mm R macro..I wonder..how much better the APO version extender is..which is considerably more expensive..

To be used with 60mm, the regular (not apo) 2x Extender can be good enough if closed down a bit.

The main advantage of the Apo-Extender-R x1.4 or x2 is when used with longer focal lengths from 90mm.

I used the regular 2x Extender long before the Apo-Extender (now I have 2x and x1.4 as soon as when available), and the CA can ruin pictures and contrast can be very low.

So with Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180, when used with x2 non apo, result can be good enough if subject contrast is high but if there is haze/dust in air, results can be not so good.

This is because Apo-Telyt-R lenses have small amount of CA to be enlarged, but aberrations remain.

When new Apo-Extender-R was as (almost...) expensive as very good Leica lenses.

2001 catalog : Apo ext x1.4 was 1507 euros, Apo ext x2 was 1766 euros, Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm was 2132 euros, Summicron-M asph. 2/35 was 1858 euros.

• Like 1

A little off topic, but it shows that it works - here is my proposal for an APO-Extender-M and its handling:    WATE, MATE, SATE's s - Small Angle Tri Elmar's ...  

(Details)

Regards,
Thorsten (;-)

• 1 month later...

APO-Telyt 3,4/180

100% crop from center of picture at 3,4 and 4,0

APO-Telyt 3,4/180

100% crop from center of picture at 5,6 and 8,0

APO-Telyt 3,4/180

Turned the tripod to the right, same focus. 100% crop is now at the left end center.

3,4 and 4,0

APO-Telyt 3,4/180

Turned the tripod to the right. 100% crop is now at the left end center.

5,6 at same focus

3,4 refocus

I used a FLM 58 ball head and Berlebach tripod. 12 sec delay. All pictures where focused at 3,4 in the center with Visoflex 020, except for the last one. LR6 and no adjustment.

It looks to me that 4,0 is the maximum, and 3,4 close behind. 5,6 and 8,0 looks bad to me.

• Like 1