Wandering focus point

On 9/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, gotium said:

This just drives me nuts. I cannot imagine why I would ever want the focal point to be in the very bottom right-hand corner of the frame, but whenever I turn on the camera to shoot, that's where it is! Have missed loads of good shots because of this. 

same ! I was so many time out of focus because of that stupid wandering focus point

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Disable the always on touch AF helps a lot to avoid bottom or top corner wandering. 

Add a thumb rest to shift your hand away from the D-pad 

There is too much turn around and loss of other useful functions for an absolutely necessary basic function

42 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Disable the always on touch AF helps a lot to avoid bottom or top corner wandering. 

Add a thumb rest to shift your hand away from the D-pad 

Not 100% effective, if you carry the camera on a strap and it bumps into you.

I still think having the default of “FP = Fixed” would be the way to go. You could have “Free FP” as an option for the FN button. I wonder why this isn’t an option already - is there something about the way the firmware is written that makes this not possible?

• 1 year later...

I think this is still an issue and it's the only major usability problem for me. As other posters have said, the issue is PRECISELY when you are on the move, in the street and want fast turnaround. Manually having to navigate BACK to the centre seems so illogical in a street-photo scenario. The issue primarily happens when I am gripping my camera, left eye to the viewfinder, and my right thumb, gripping the back of the camera accidentally "clicks" the direction pad.

Leica UI does seem to be based on "permanence" which I can understand: all modes remain same from 1 photo to another (including, for example, EV). So any new feature needs to be a quick "touch" to reset the focus point to the centre. For me, this could mean just adding 1 or more new focus modes for people to choose.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 6:54 PM, nicci78 said:

That’s what I tried to say.
Just change the lock functionality from locking only buttons instead of locking everything including the dials. 

Indeed - I fail to see to see the rationale behind "locking everything"  It is just a PITA when activated accidentally. Well. it might be useful when handing the camera to a three-year old, but is that really a scenario a designer should consider? 🙄

• 1 month later...

Please Leica, can we have this focus point lock? I've just bought the CL in 2021, and it's the only annoyance this camera has. It's almost every time I pick up the camera to shoot that the focus point isn't in the center anymore. I'll gonna nag Leica store Amsterdam too, despite little hope of getting them moving.

38 minutes ago, woutdezeeuw said:

Please Leica, can we have this focus point lock? I've just bought the CL in 2021, and it's the only annoyance this camera has. It's almost every time I pick up the camera to shoot that the focus point isn't in the center anymore. I'll gonna nag Leica store Amsterdam too, despite little hope of getting them moving.

This subject has often been discussed here ...

A little double-tap on the screen is enough to re-center the point.

Personally, with the half-case + the thumb rest, the bottom of my palm never accidentally touches the 4-way pad. 😉

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

4 minutes ago, Guytou said:

This subject has often been discussed here ...

A simple double-tap on the screen is enough to re-center the point.

Personally, with the half-case + the thumb rest, the bottom of my palm never accidentally touches the 4-way pad. 😉

I know about the double tap, but it shouldn't be a necessary action every time you pick up the camera.

And I don't want a half-case, it shouldn't be a necessity either.

It should be a menu setting. Fractionally increasing the number of choices in a menu that you only go into only once every so often, versus an extra action every time you pick up the camera should be an easy choice to make.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, woutdezeeuw said:

I know about the double tap, but it shouldn't be a necessary action every time you pick up the camera.

It should be a menu setting. Fractionally increasing the number of choices in a menu that you only go into only once every so often, versus an extra action every time you pick up the camera should be an easy choice to make.

Using only the thumb rest, the pad problem is almost non-existent. This grip moves the bottom of the palm of the hand a little away and that's enough.

I'm afraid Leica won't come back to this and I don't think about a new update on the CL.
It might be different on the CL 2 ...

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

4 hours ago, Guytou said:

Using only the thumb rest, the pad problem is almost non-existent. This grip moves the bottom of the palm of the hand a little away and that's enough.

I'm afraid Leica won't come back to this and I don't think about a new update on the CL.
It might be different on the CL 2 ...

Guytou

I have a thumbie attached but still get the wandering focus point quite regularly. I like to wrap my rope strap a few times round my wrist and hand and it inevitably bumps the keypad at some point.

Edited by ruskkyle
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, woutdezeeuw said:

Agree 100%. A lot of us on this Forum use the EVF exclusively and it is difficult to frame, compose, follow action and double tap screen. I have a half case and a thumb rest. They don’t keep me from sometimes accidentally moving focus point and affecting focus. The reason it has been well discussed is a large number of us hopefully are trying to get Leica’s attention to correct it as mentioned above. 
Cheers, Dan

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got my new CL last January, and reading about this problem was almost a deal breaker. It's incredible that Leica could be so short-sighted in this regard, but here's what I do: The solution is to turn off the LCD touch option, and avoid the damn Dpad altogether by getting a hand grip. I about choked on the cost of the Leica model, and got the Haoge version, which is $100 cheaper, has an opening underneath for battery/SD access, and has a better angle where the middle finger rests.  Then, place the pad of your thumb on the edge of the panel right where the Q has a thumb rest.  The added 1/4" of height to the body allows the bottom right corner to fit right into the "pocket" of my hand, and the cursed Dpad now rests under a bridge beneath my thumb.  So now I have a stable 3 point grip- middle and ring fingers on the front panel, thumb on the back, and right palm, with my index finger on the shutter.  Finally, I use my right eye for viewing, like you would for any rangefinder camera, which also allows my left eye to take in the peiphery.   I always pick up and hold the CL the same way, by the grip, two fingers and the thumb, even when putting it in my bag.  Muscle memory is crucial here- never, ever touch the Dpad.  I don't even use it for playback if I can avoid it, using the right wheel whenever possible. I've been shooting the hell out of it with my 18 ( and vintage Nikkor glass), and have only shifted the focus point a couple times.  The grip also helps hold a body that is just a bit TOO small for my longish fingers, and slick as a bar of soap with my dry old digits...Hope this helps!