Wandering focus point

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is not the point. (pun intended ;) )

<rant mode>The problem is that many CL users come from M cameras. When they put the camera to their eye they expect the focus point to be in the center of the viewfinder, not somewhere in a corner. If you have to double-tap the screen (which means taking the camera down again) or fiddle with arrow keys the photograph is lost. It is an omission and stubborn by Leica not to correct it. It is the first time in my decades-long journey with the company that they  designed something that actually impedes taking photographs. Completely out of character.</rant mode>

They only thing they have to do is to add one item in the menu: "Lock central focus point" or add a focus mode to the list of focusing methods, right under "face detection". It is not a complication, they can swap it for one of the items that nobody uses anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

On 7/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, jaapv said:

That is not the point. (pun intended ;) )

<rant mode>The problem is that many CL users come from M cameras. When they put the camera to their eye they expect the focus point to be in the center of the viewfinder, not somewhere in a corner. If you have to double-tap the screen (which means taking the camera down again) or fiddle with arrow keys the photograph is lost. It is an omission and stubborn by Leica not to correct it. It is the first time in my decades-long journey with the company that they  designed something that actually impedes taking photographs. Completely out of character.</rant mode>

They only thing they have to do is to add one item in the menu: "Lock central focus point" or add a focus mode to the list of focusing methods, right under "face detection". It is not a complication, they can swap it for one of the items that nobody uses anyway.

Jaap, thank you. Very well said.

i am not coming from M system, but as I explained many times in the past in several forums, I do lots of street photography. It is very convenient for me to set my focusing on  “tracking” because of moving subjects. It makes me loose precious time to look where the focus little square is, to tap twice, or even to find and see that little square in some lighting conditions. 

Therefore, this issue is very important for my way of shooting and I don’t understand why Leica doesn’t get it after all the discussions we have had.

The other issue that would really help many shooters is the  continuity of the frame numbering.

I discussed these issues with people closely involved in developing CL, but as you see, no result yet!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And so we have today's available firmware update, v. 3.1, still without a locking central focus point.  Leica may be great with optics, but they are deaf to customer wishes.  This is not how you gain new customers and grow your business.

• Thanks 2

Downloaded today and really disappointed about Leica not addressing the

wandering focus problem. Disabling touch AF also eliminates the double touch

method of recentering.  Also cannot figure out how to use the FN button to lock

exposure while continuing autofocus. What am I missing?  When I do a long touch

of FN I get a message exposure is locked but when I press shutter it is not.  What am I doing wrong or how do I use this new feature?

Thanks,Dan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks. I stand corrected. I also figured out how to use exposure lock. Time will 

tell how much locking touch screen focus will help wandering focus point. I tend

to accidentally touch four way pad especially when using 55-135 lens. Still would be

good to have option to lock Focus point in center and/or have it return to center 

when using Tracking. Still have my M7 and M8 but 82 year old eyes demand AF

more and more. 

Cheers,Dan

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dfdann said:

Downloaded today and really disappointed about Leica not addressing the

wandering focus problem. Disabling touch AF also eliminates the double touch

method of recentering.  Also cannot figure out how to use the FN button to lock

exposure while continuing autofocus. What am I missing?  When I do a long touch

of FN I get a message exposure is locked but when I press shutter it is not.  What am I doing wrong or how do I use this new feature?

Thanks,Dan

I'll be using shutter half-press anyway

There's a similar discussion about this in the following article: https://www.macfilos.com/2019/07/23/leica-cl-firmware-3-1-update-another-missed-opportunity/

If you scroll down to the comments, #3 & #4 there seems to be a way to deal with this, by including AF-L in the Fn menu.

However it appears that you also need to disable the touch screen focus to stop it moving around. I've had a similar issue with the Lumix S1r, when looking through the viewfinder my nose touches the screen and the focus point goes all over the place. I've disabled the touch screen focus, end of problem. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Still can't say much that will help out AF users on the 'wandering focus point' problem, but I have to say that the ability to move the field of view with focus assist magnification enabled and a manual focus lens (in the v3.1 firmware update) is a major win for my use. It makes my tabletop and copy work much easier to do without having to move the subject or the camera. 

For me, this one operational addition makes the CL feel much more mature and proficient for the purposes I have with it. :D

G

No ifs, ands, or buts about it, Leica needs to urgently take care of this issue. It's giving the company a black eye with most CL users.

Truly hard to fathom how resolving it hasn't made its way to be the #1 priority on the CL's firmware update list.

Edited by NicholasT

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

How hard can it be? just add a menu item: lock focus point. Allow to appear in the Fn button menu as a favourite. That is all.

Given what can and can't be assigned to the Fn button and the dial buttons, I wonder if this is more difficult than it appears: none of the options one can assign to these buttons are single action, toggle-type actions. They all give access to a menu item, from which one makes a selection. So while it might be easy to create a lock focus point menu item (or a lock focus, or lock exposure) I suspect it could not be a single button press action - it would have to be Press button>select option>return to screen sequence. It makes me wonder if this is somehow a hardware limitation, or something fundamental in the firmware.

5 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Given what can and can't be assigned to the Fn button and the dial buttons, I wonder if this is more difficult than it appears: none of the options one can assign to these buttons are single action, toggle-type actions. They all give access to a menu item, from which one makes a selection. So while it might be easy to create a lock focus point menu item (or a lock focus, or lock exposure) I suspect it could not be a single button press action - it would have to be Press button>select option>return to screen sequence. It makes me wonder if this is somehow a hardware limitation, or something fundamental in the firmware.

another reason i like the SL's 4 fully customizable buttons

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Yes, but the button menu selection is a sticky choice which can be toggled from the favourites menu. Eight menu items and it remembers the last choice you made in the button menu. 

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but the button menu selection is a sticky choice which can be toggled from the favourites menu. Eight menu items and it remembers the last choice you made in the button menu. 

OK, if that is acceptable to those with the wandering focus problem. I don't have that concern, and for the one I do have (focus lock), I want a single button press, as on the SL.