Wandering focus point

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this has been covered in a variety of posts, but until Leica fix the issue with a firmware update I’m looking for what different solutions users are deploying, and it might be helpful to keep this issue under a common topic.

Today was my first ‘full day’ of street shooting since I acquired my CL and the wandering focus point was particularly annoying as it often defaulted to the bottom left of the screen/viewfinder; why is this?

I understand that you can reposition it by tapping the LCD screen, but I prefer to use the EVF and until you view, you don’t know where the focus point is, by the time you’ve recentred it a ‘decisive moment’ can be missed.

How do you guys overcome the issue?

• Like 2

I know this has been covered in a variety of posts, but until Leica fix the issue with a firmware update I’m looking for what different solutions users are deploying, and it might be helpful to keep this issue under a common topic.

Today was my first ‘full day’ of street shooting since I acquired my CL and the wandering focus point was particularly annoying as it often defaulted to the bottom left of the screen/viewfinder; why is this?

I understand that you can reposition it by tapping the LCD screen, but I prefer to use the EVF and until you view, you don’t know where the focus point is, by the time you’ve recentred it a ‘decisive moment’ can be missed.

How do you guys overcome the issue?

As far as I am concerned, I could not really overcome. So, I keep nagging with the hope that someone would consider this issue seriously at Leica. I am often shooting in street and need fast responding features. The focus point not going back to the center automatically after each shot makes me waist much precious time. Edited by Louis
  • Like 4

Have you tried manual focusing as an alternative? For street photography you can preset a typical range and fine tune the focus setting given time. Practise to gain confidence.

I find that manual focusing is excellent on the CL.

Edited by wda

Have you tried manual focusing as an alternative? For street photography you can preset a typical range and fine tune the focus setting given time. Practise to gain confidence.

I find that manual focusing is excellent on the CL.

I am using third party MF lenses most of the time and enjoy it very much. But as lately I am getting lazy, I have been shooting with 18-56 quite often. For me, AF is much faster than MF in street photography; more specially, when using the continuous focusing that I find very helpful. Therefore, this wandering focus point becomes a real issue for me after each shot.
  • Like 1

Forgive me, but I am currently only shooting with manual lenses at the moment - how does the wandering focus point present itself? Is it due to moving the control or touching the LCD while looking through the viewfinder? Or does it "wander" at random.

I don't think I've used a camera where the focus point returns to center after every shot - it stays where I've put it

Michael

As far as I am concerned, I could not really overcome. So, I keep nagging with the hope that someone would consider this issue seriously at Leica. I am often shooting in street and need fast responding features. The focus point not going back to the center automatically after each shot makes me waist much precious time.

Setting the LCD-EVF to Auto and double-tapping the LCD before raising the camera to your eye is a useable workaround.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Setting the LCD-EVF to auto and double-tapping theLCD before raising the camera to your eye is a useable workaround.

This is actually what I have been doing. But still, not the best way.

Michael, to answer your question, the focus point remains where you last positioned it. Therefore, for your next shot, you have to bring it back to the center (or wherever you wish) to use it. It takes time and often you forget to do so, and in some other case, you can’t even find it easily due to the kind of light you have. But I, personally, wish it could come back automatically to the center after each shot. Of course, you can do all these exercises without too much trouble but they are very time consuming if you have to shoot fast in some situations.

• Like 3

In operation, the problem seems to be with the directional pad, in that it’s very easy to touch the pad inadvertently and this then moves the focus point. In my case I must be naturally touching the left hand button as the focus point often seems to be in the left hand corner of the screen. I have now adopted the auto-EVF setting and have to remember to double-tap the centre of the screen prior to using the EVF; it’s is quite a pain.

Do we know if Leica see this forum or what is the best way to provide feedback to them as a group rather than as an individual, as they’re likely to take mor notice.

• Like 2

For my shooting, I find that the lock all left button long press works for me. Bring camera to eye, long press unlock, compose. When ready to sling it behind me on the strap and move on, centre the focus point, long press lock. This also stops me inadvertantly changing exposure and the suchlike by knocking the dials.

I wouldn't want the focus point to centre after every shot, nor would I find a "lock focus point" feature particularly useful - what I would like (as I only use the EVF, not the rear screen) is a quick way to re-center.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know what percentage of users require the focus point to always be in the last taking position compared to those who would like it to auto re-centre; for me it would be the latter. The info’ might help Leica make the most appropriate decision to change functionality. Similar to danielfrimley I rarely use the screen for shooting and the option of a quick way to recenter when using the EVF would make sense. The centre button seems the obvious choice or maybe the button in the centre of the right-hand wheel.

PLEASE LEICA FIX THIS FAST

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know what percentage of users require the focus point to always be in the last taking position compared to those who would like it to auto re-centre; for me it would be the latter. The info’ might help Leica make the most appropriate decision to change functionality. Similar to danielfrimley I rarely use the screen for shooting and the option of a quick way to recenter when using the EVF would make sense. The centre button seems the obvious choice or maybe the button in the centre of the right-hand wheel.

It has already taken far too long. Don :(

• Like 2

Any workaround has to be second best IMO. Anything that requires an extra action (e.g. tapping the screen, or locking/unlocking), or a way of working (keeping the rear screen live so you can tap it) comes into this category.

I want an option (which others can ignore) whereby the focus point is automatically centered whenever the camera sleeps or is switched off. It is reasonable to assume that while the camera is live you are controlling where the focus point is for a particular series of shots. Once the camera goes to sleep or is switched off, it is reasonable to assume you are starting from scratch with a new composition, so centering the focus point is helpful.

I recognise that others may not want automatic recentering, so a choice between my proposal and the current way of working would be good to have.

It is because of the defects in the current system that I do not use manual positioning of the focus point while in the street, when quick responses are vital. I set it to Face Recognition, which is actually face priority with multi-field as a fall-back. This is quicker, most of the time, than having to find where the focus point has got to, get your thumb on the direction arrows, and move it. (Of course, there are always times when 1-point focus is the only option).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4

I think the percentage is rather significant. One could make it a menu choice anyway.

• Like 4

Not sure whether it will help, but I’ve been in communication with a Jimmy Hughes of Leica Mayfair and asked him to review this thread. He is going to suggest that through a firmware update, a function is created whereby the focus point can easily be centred; possibly the button in the centre of the directional arrow pad. Fingers crossed a solution will be provided in the near future.

• Like 5

I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't kill the capability of the 4-way pad center button to flip the display info overlay on and off with a short press. I use that feature a lot! It's essential for precise framing when I'm doing macro work.

Since I don't use AF lenses, focus point control is of no real use to me. It would be nice to be able to scroll the display when using focus assist magnification, however.

Edited by ramarren

If there was a menu item to lock the focus point the exposure could then be locked separately with a half shutter press.

Accidentally pressing the directional arrows is what is causing me to move the focus point. Having to press another

button to re-center is going to slow down shooting...in my humble opinion.

Dan