Leica S2 problems saving images to SD

Freggio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Took my Leica S2 out in London yesterday to see how it performed out of the studio. Took a total of about 50 shots in groups of a dozen or so in 3 locations.

Apon my return I discovered that instead of my usual CF AND SD cards I only had the SD card in the camera. Strangely the S2 only saved 8 images (all DNG) to the SD. A single image from the first location. 7 from the second and none at all from the last location.

This has never happened before. The battery was fully charged and didn't require changing during the day. The SD card has plenty of space on it. BUT the S2 was set to save in parallel and I've never not had both CF and SD in the camera together AND The camera was set to save DNG only.

I'm trying to reproduce the same issue now. Seems that there's maybe an issue with having the camera set to parallel saving when DNG only is selected and there's only an SD card present.

Can anyone confirm that for me? Or could this be something more serious?

Cheers,

Freggio.

Update: Just tried reproducing this issue again. When setup with DNG only/Parallel saving/Only an SD card the S2 displays 0/0 on the image preview and doesn't save the file to the card.

Seems a bit odd that the S2 gives no warning when this occurs. Especially when set to DNG + jpg you get a big red message on screen saying there's no CF card and the camera automatically selects sequential saving.

Thing is. I can't get it to save ANY images in that setup. So I'm unsure why the camera saved some apparently at random during the day.

I'm a bit confused how you could not have noticed during the shooting... I don't "photo chimp" much but I would notice it anyway after shooting for say 10 minutes. Are you sure you didn't just forgot the CF somewhere?

The story sounds strange to me. No offence. 

I can suggest some possible things to check.

Try another card that has worked previously and format in camera?

You may like to look at the card file structure in a computer for more than one folder, ensure that the exact SD card type and capacity is supported by the S2? And perhaps that the camera was not switched off before all of the files were written to the card?

As far as I recall, my S2 defaulted to writing to the CF card first (the S Typ 007 won’t let you set that), but if not present, wrote to the single card, irrespective of the parallel or otherwise menu selection

• 2 weeks later...

I can suggest some possible things to check.

Try another card that has worked previously and format in camera?

You may like to look at the card file structure in a computer for more than one folder, ensure that the exact SD card type and capacity is supported by the S2? And perhaps that the camera was not switched off before all of the files were written to the card?

As far as I recall, my S2 defaulted to writing to the CF card first (the S Typ 007 won’t let you set that), but if not present, wrote to the single card, irrespective of the parallel or otherwise menu selection

Yes. CF card with be used first, if set to sequential. Thus no images on the SD card, until the CF card is full. This cannot be swapped to have the S2 using the SD card first. Parallel recording does DNG on the CF card, JPG on the SD card. No further options to tweak this behaviour.