random qu: what ISO's do you guys take on holiday ?

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Going to a very bright summer holiday, but no doubt lots of night shots which I love

I don't take lots of shots as I like to be considered. Maybe 300-400 pics in 2 weeks

Favourite film is Ektar 100 and Superia or Pro 400

Only using f1.2 lenses ...

I was thinking of taking mostly 100 and maybe a bit of 400 but can't decide

What do you guys think ? anyone actually use ISO 200 ?

thanks

I always take twice as much as I think I'll need. Cover all speeds in that scenario. It's easy to bring it home again. There is no compulsion to use it all. (It's an old work ethic I can't lose.)

Same when I go to a restaurant. I always take more bottles of wine than I will drink. That gives me flexibility of choice when actually using it. :p

• Like 3

Ektar 100, Portra 160 and Portra 400.

I shoot the Ektar at 100, the Portra 160 at 100 (in the same camera so no confusion) and the Portra 400 at 200, unless I need the extra stop, then I shoot it at 400.

So 100, 200 and 400. Works great!

• Like 1

Same when I go to a restaurant. I always take more bottles of wine than I will drink. That gives me flexibility of choice when actually using it. :p

Brilliant! all the times I've done corkage and never once thought to bring in anything to match up  with anything beyond what I think we'll order. thanks. (ditto the film!)

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

I gather you are gone, but the advantage of sloooooow film in sunny places is that you can open the lens and shoot 1/500 or 1/1000. When you start with 400 there isn't much latitude in the lens opening direction. Use the fast film at night or when touring and you will need "snapshot" mode . . . . . hyperfocal at f/8 to f/16 and it's a point and shoot operation.

• Like 1

I gather you are gone, but the advantage of sloooooow film in sunny places is that you can open the lens and shoot 1/500 or 1/1000. When you start with 400 there isn't much latitude in the lens opening direction. Use the fast film at night or when touring and you will need "snapshot" mode . . . . . hyperfocal at f/8 to f/16 and it's a point and shoot operation.

Exactly - for shallow DoF effects, I prefer to shoot with f/2 or even faster and still manage an exposure time without additional ND filters. Other reason is that I prefer to have better grey latitude over high contrast and grain. Slower films are also better in this regard. 

• Like 1

I'll usually take a few rolls of XP2 for flexibility since you can vary your ISO between 100 and 800 on the same roll and it's C41 chemistry.  I'd also have some Portra for colour and Kodak Double-X for b&w.

Pete.

• Like 1