Kern Switar 50mm f1.8 lens - LTM adapter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm interested in an Alpa Alnea model 7 with a Kern Switar 50mm f1.8 lens - has become available here

I'm wondering if there is an adapter for using the lens on Leica LTM's?

I can see there are adapters (Kipon, Metabones) for Leica M bodies (film & digital)

And indeed Metabones seems to had also an Alpa lens to Leica M adapter… https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983803-REG/metabones_mb_alpa_lm_bm1_alpa_lens_to_leica.html

(no more available, it looks, but some can be around…)

Also Kipon looks to have one… but the real availabilty isn't clear… http://kipon.com/en/product.asp?id=83

While FotoDiox apparently lists one regularly : https://fotodioxpro.com/products/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-alpa-35mm-slr-lens-to-leica-m-mount-rangefinder-camera-body

Surely… not a high volume item… ;) but not surprising that someone has engineered one (*) ; I'd be very curios to see how the Macro Switar (which had a very good fame, at its times) does perform on a digital M.

(*) Just to make a comparision… also the Zeiss Contarex to Leica M adapters don't think are sold in thousands… but I have 3 of them, from 3 different manufacturers (Fotodiox, Metabones, Lolli)

SORRY: MODS, DELETE… DIDN'T TAKE CARE HE LOOKED FOR LTM ITEMS...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

And indeed Metabones seems to had also an Alpa lens to Leica M adapter… https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983803-REG/metabones_mb_alpa_lm_bm1_alpa_lens_to_leica.html

(no more available, it looks, but some can be around…)

Also Kipon looks to have one… but the real availabilty isn't clear… http://kipon.com/en/product.asp?id=83

While FotoDiox apparently lists one regularly : https://fotodioxpro.com/products/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-alpa-35mm-slr-lens-to-leica-m-mount-rangefinder-camera-body

Surely… not a high volume item… ;) but not surprising that someone has engineered one (*) ; I'd be very curios to see how the Macro Switar (which had a very good fame, at its times) does perform on a digital M.

(*) Just to make a comparision… also the Zeiss Contarex to Leica M adapters don't think are sold in thousands… but I have 3 of them, from 3 different manufacturers (Fotodiox, Metabones, Lolli)

SORRY: MODS, DELETE… DIDN'T TAKE CARE HE LOOKED FOR LTM ITEMS...

Please keep it there, it's still relevant/useful

I have never seen an adapter for using another type of lens on an LTM. For example, you can use LTM lenses on an M camera, but you cannot do this the other way around. Arranging correct movement of the rangefinder cam is, presumably, one of the major issues. I am happy to be proven wrong on this, of course. The Visoflex overcame this by using a ground glass screen for focus purposes.

William

Didn't take 2 mins to find this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Adapter-Alpa-Kinopik-Angenieux-Schneider-Kern-lens-to-Leica-39-L39/162258690071?hash=item25c75f2017:g:814AAOSwNSxVMg75

There are Alpa to Leica R too, and so you could do it Alpa-R-LTM

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. This seems to have an interesting arrangement for the rangefinder cam. Now for the big question. Are there adapters for using Leica M lenses on LTM cameras?

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never seen an adapter for using another type of lens on an LTM. For example, you can use LTM lenses on an M camera, but you cannot do this the other way around. Arranging correct movement of the rangefinder cam is, presumably, one of the major issues. I am happy to be proven wrong on this, of course. The Visoflex overcame this by using a ground glass screen for focus purposes.

An aside if I may. Didn't Leica once offer a lens or two in one's choice of LTM or M?

An aside if I may. Didn't Leica once offer a lens or two in one's choice of LTM or M?

I have Summarits and Summarons in both LTM and M mounts. There are other differences, such as minimum focus distance. Also some early M lenses were designed as LTM lenses with an adapter fitted. If this were removed then focus issues could ensue.

William

• Like 1

Thanks Gerry. This seems to have an interesting arrangement for the rangefinder cam. Now for the big question. Are there adapters for using Leica M lenses on LTM cameras?

William

I'm sure some chinese workshop with a cnc machine could turn one out but negative register would be a challenge!

Gerry

... Are there adapters for using Leica M lenses on LTM cameras?

No, this does not work. We need an adapter which adds one millimeter to the flange to film distance of an LTM lens to use it on an M. So the flange to film distance of an LTM-Leica is one millimeter too long for an M lens. Add an adapter and it will be much too long, so the M-lens would not focus properly on an LTM body.

Edit: deleted a wrong assumption.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

I have Summarits and Summarons in both LTM and M mounts. There are other differences, such as minimum focus distance. Also some early M lenses were designed as LTM lenses with an adapter fitted. If this were removed then focus issues could ensue.

William

Thank you. I found a beautiful 135mm Hektor in M mount, cheap. I do not see an adapter. Perhaps I'm not looking properly.

Didn't take 2 mins to find this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Adapter-Alpa-Kinopik-Angenieux-Schneider-Kern-lens-to-Leica-39-L39/162258690071?hash=item25c75f2017:g:814AAOSwNSxVMg75

There are Alpa to Leica R too, and so you could do it Alpa-R-LTM

Gerry

Gerry, many thanks - the key must be the search criteria as I tried but was unsuccessful before initially posting

I did end up purchasing the camera/lens so it's going to be interesting working with a camera that is BOTH a rangefinder & SLR

Hi, 

I tried an early version of the Kipon Alpa to M adapter with a Kern Alpa 50 1.8 Macro Switar but the combo was not successfully RF calibrated on my m240 at the time. 

Had the lens converted to LTM by a lens expert and am very pleased by its rendering, on film or digital M bodies.

https://www.facebook.com/costuas.bertrand/photos/pcb.1943510125863953/1943507995864166/?type=3&theater

Here are a few shots:

TriX - Leica M3 - Kern 50 1.8 LTM :

34258607555_db79dd26ba_b.jpg

street crossing by JM__, on Flickr

on the Monochrom v1:

34394886396_1157c5b37d_b.jpg

Alex by JM__, on Flickr

on the M10:

34270379915_9ef7da75f9_b.jpg

à St Jean du Doigt by JM__, on Flickr

34270379975_7454b215d3_b.jpg

à St Jean du Doigt by JM__, on Flickr

on the SL :

30912730854_25da2441a2_b.jpg

une promenade by JM__, on Flickr

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

The 50 Summicron V, 50 Summilux III and 35 Summicron ASPH were all available in LTM as chrome/brass special editions in 1999, sold almost wholly in Japan. I have the first two. They were made in tiny numbers, supposedly the 50 LTM Summilux, less than 500 lenses. Oddly the f2 Summicron is heavier than the f1.4 Summilux. These as far as I am aware were the very last LTM lenses made by Leica. 

Wilson

PS Amedeo Muscelli makes a Contax RF to LTM adapter. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

I've also said before, that in the late 60s when I worked for a Leica dealer in Montreal, we were offered LTM versions of any Midland made lenses to special order.  So 35mm Summicrons and Summiluxs at least I think.  I can't remember whether we sold many, its a long time ago and it didn't seem important to me then, I much preferred my M3 to the 'Barnacks', nostalgia hadn't set in yet!

Gerry

• Like 1

I've also said before, that in the late 60s when I worked for a Leica dealer in Montreal, we were offered LTM versions of any Midland made lenses to special order.  So 35mm Summicrons and Summiluxs at least I think...

Gerry

I remember distinctly to have seen a Summilux 35 chrome in LTM... not for sale… in some printed magazine. several years ago...

I remember distinctly to have seen a Summilux 35 chrome in LTM... not for sale… in some printed magazine. several years ago...

One like this? 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw