Thumb Support $195 vs $137

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day, 

I am thinking to get a "Thumb Support" for the CL body, and seeing now on B&H, there are:

"Leica Thumb Support CL (Black)  B&H # LECLTSB MFR # 19508 

for $195.    (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KfeqvGz3AIVCp6fCh3anQShEAYYASABEgI-q_D_BwE&is=REG&pcur=CAD&sku=1376602)

But there is also the

"Match Technical EP-CL Thumbs Up Grip for Leica CL Camera (Black)" for $136.88

(https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KfeqvGz3AIVCp6fCh3anQShEAYYAiABEgJJ-vD_BwE&is=REG&pcur=CAD&sku=1386936)

Looking at photos, they both look nicely made, however, is it worth $60 difference?     Between those two similar items, which one would you pickup for a CL? 

Edited by yst

[...] Looking at photos, they both look nicely made, however, is it worth $60 difference? Between those two similar items, which one would you pickup for a CL? 

Been using both Leica and Match Technical thumb grips but the latter is much too short for me. See https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280097-leica-thumb-support-for-digital-cl/

• Like 1

I had a Thumbie for my M240 for several years and it remained secure. When I eventually removed it prior to selling the camera it was a bit of a struggle to get it off using the recommended technique of twisting. It left no marks on the camera body. I now have a Thumbie on my CL which improves the handling considerably. As Jaap says it leaves the hot shoe free for its intended purposes,

• Like 2

Not only that, but I am uneasy of throwing a lateral strain on the hot shoe. It is held by four small screws. I already succeeded in tearing one off my M9 by sitting on the camera with a flash mounted. :(

Not only that, but I am uneasy of throwing a lateral strain on the hot shoe. It is held by four small screws. I already succeeded in tearing one off my M9 by sitting on the camera with a flash mounted. :(

Oh dear, my husband constantly tells me I have a warped sense of humour because of the things that make me laugh/smile - reading the above made me chuckle (sorry jaapv), I would imagine though that was not only upsetting but also painful!!  To add something a little sensible to this, I use a Thumbie on my M10 and it really helps with handling -  need to get one for the CL.

Oh dear, my husband constantly tells me I have a warped sense of humour because of the things that make me laugh/smile - reading the above made me chuckle (sorry jaapv), I would imagine though that was not only upsetting but also painful!!  To add something a little sensible to this, I use a Thumbie on my M10 and it really helps with handling -  need to get one for the CL.

Not to worry, despite being a bit upset at the time I can see the funny part in retrospect ;) At any rate, the plastic shoe of the SF24D was unharmed despite its flimsiness and the screws on the camera torn through their threads. Not the most solid of constructions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the Lims Design (A S. Korea outfit) thumb support on ebay. $69.99. Received it today. Nicely made, seems like the support is in the right place, and the finish is almost identical. $50 - $130 price difference from any other hot shoe mounted thumb support other than the thumbie that is stuck on like an undesired appendage. I too was worried about lateral strain, but with the 3M strip along the back, it greatly reduces any stress.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lims-Design-Lims-Metal-Thumb-Grip-for-Leica-CL-Black-/173320729111

It comes with tape on both the hot shoe edges and the face that sits on the camera back. I haven't removed the adhesive, but it's solid.  I'm not adverse to adhesive, but the design should look like it belongs. 

If you use the flash often, then I can see how leaving it free is desirable. Otherwise, Lims design looks more integrated than a knob glued to the back of your camera.

Edited by Jake