Leica M10 Ordered; What is about a lens

wosamko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1. Absurdly inexpensive in relation to Summiluxes, say, although the colour rendering does not match that of Leica lenses – almost as if there's warm yellowish light cast on the scene.

Yes the Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon has superb optics but it is a heavy lens (viewfinder blockage far less important). In the end I sold two copies I had had had since they came out because of this.

Is ZEISS Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM equal to Leica Summiluxes lens in everything> Shall I go head and buy it

Is ZEISS Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM equal to Leica Summiluxes lens in everything> Shall I go head and buy itll

Personally I prefer the Zeiss. Although both lenses are of impeccable quality, the Zeiss renders a bit more delicate wide open. I would call the images more transparant.

• Like 1

Lens correction was important for the M8 with wide angles and UV/IR-Filters and to avoid magenta or cyan casts for some wide angles lenses with the M9.

With the M10 correction of lenses has the least importance. Whoever needs the lens data in the Exif can manually select any profile from the menu; there won‘t be much difference for the results.

You mean through M10 menu I can tell I am shooting through Zeiss lenses? So then M10 will take care of the colors?

wosamko, I assume you are beginning with the M10's class of rangefinder technology; forgive if I am wrong.

You might read a lot about how certain lenses render and how unique any of them might be, including of course Leica lenses. Forget about all that at the beginning. Too much subjectivity until you have the opportunity to decide for yourself.

You have an M10, a capable camera with decent high ISO performance so you don't need the extraordinarily fast and expensive lenses. Leica's current Summarit ƒ2.4 line will not disappoint. Once grounded with the Summarits you can decide if the so-called 'bokeh', OOF, all that stuff is worth the extra big bucks. So after some time when you have lots of technically excellent images you can adventure into the dauntingly expensive fast lenses and highly subjective aesthetics, regardless of brand if so compelled.

Welcome!

Your assumption was right! I am beginning with Leica brand with M10. Do you mean Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.4 ASPH. Lens (Black) . It is cheaper than Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 $295 !! Why cheaper while it is Leica. Even if the reason is f1.4 !

The first prime lens for a FF camera should be a 35mm. I have the Summicron 35mm f2 and it's awesome. Second lens for me was the Summilux 50mm f1.4.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

What is the difference between Summarit-M and summicron-m?

What is the difference between Summarit-M and summicron-m?

Summarit-M lens line was created to gain some "third party cost effective" buyers.

Summicron-M asph. is "plain top of the line" regular (e.g cost) Leica lens line.

I didn't want "less expensive Summarit-M" for a while, as I use regular "top lens line".

But last year, I gave Summarit-M 2.5/50 a try, with M10 and other Ms, then I didn't much see differences in  the outputs from my Summilux asph. or not.

At my most use f/4 to f/8 of course, so with less VF "hiding at right/low" portion with those little gems.

Now I have the light Summarit-M lenses to choose from my other big/heavier lenses in 35mm and 50mm.

My net benefice with Summarit-M lenses was Summilux-M asph. 1.4/50 and Elmar-M 2.8/50 sold/trade-in... and some cash :p.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Please tell me where to code it? In camera or Lightroom or where exactly ? Thanks for this great hint

I said in my earlier post, Zeiss ZM lenses have a rebate machined into the flange so you can add black paint and code the lens.

• Like 1

@wosamko,

Here are my thoughts on lens choice.  Regarding focal length, a 35mm lens is a very good choice for an all-around, do it all lens for a rangefinder camera.

If the cost of Leica M lenses is an issue, take a look at the Summarit 35mm f2.4 - it is highly regarded and is a real bargain.  Also consider the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit M; it is a little wider than the 35mm lenses but not significantly wider.  This lens is universally praised for its image quality, build, small size and light weight and value; given its performance, it is an absolute steal.  With the M10's high ISO capabilities, the fact that the 28 Elmarit f/2.8 is 1/2 EV slower than the 35mm Summarit f/2.4 will rarely if ever be an issue.

Lastly, Zeiss lenses are very nice - close to Leica M lenses in terms of image quality, build quality and durability.  That having been said, one of the main reasons - if not the main reason - for shooting with Leica M cameras is the lenses.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Please tell me where to code it? In camera or Lightroom or where exactly ? Thanks for this great hint

Here:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I'm amazed that all you folks value the Leica lens profiles so little. 

The lens profiles that Leica provides for Leica lenses are designed to preserve the rendering of the lens as it was originally intended to be, not just correct deficiencies of the imaging induced by use of the lens on a recording medium it was not designed for. We pay all this money for Leica lenses because of their exceptional imaging qualities, and we know that some of those qualities are there due to balancing inevitable compromises in lens aberrations into a pleasing final whole. Leica utilizes the ability of digital image processing to make sure, for instance, that my Summilux 35mm v2 returns the same imaging qualities to a very high fidelity on my M-D that it did on the M4 with film in 1972 by doing subtle corrections via the lens profile. 

Yes, you can assign a Leica lens profile that helps out a Zeiss Biogon 35mm to not have noisome artifacts in corners and edges, but no Leica lens profile is actually optimized for that Zeiss Biogon 35 to preserve its original rendering intent. The use may well be, and often is, good enough ... but it's not the same thing. And the Zeiss lens may well be a superb performer that you enjoy anyway, even uncorrected, but it's still not the same thing. 

As I said, I buy Leica cameras in order to use Leica lenses—because I like what Leica's lens designers do with their lenses rendering qualities. It is often a very subtle thing. The Leica lens profiles help retain that original design intent, as well as correct gross issues and provide the correct EXIF data. I value the lens profiles Leica provides: It's one of the things that marks Leica's attitude towards lens design and retaining value for their customers as different from the rest. 

Zeiss, Voigtländer, MS Optical, and others make fine lenses too. The 1969 Nikkor 28mm f/2 pre-AI that I dredged up the other day and have fitted to the Leica CL is a superb performer, one of the best ... I think I paid $140 for it three or four years ago. Nothing wrong with using those to do great photography at bargain prices. But they're not the reason why I spend $6000 for an M-D, $3000 for a CL, or $7000 for an SL body...  :)

• Like 3

Yes, you can assign a Leica lens profile that helps out a Zeiss Biogon 35mm to not have noisome artifacts in corners and edges, but no Leica lens profile is actually optimized for that Zeiss Biogon 35 to preserve its original rendering intent. The use may well be, and often is, good enough ... but it's not the same thing. And the Zeiss lens may well be a superb performer that you enjoy anyway, even uncorrected, but it's still not the same thing.

This reflects a bit of a rosy view of the lens corrections done by the M10.

As the lenses have been designed to be corrected optically, there is not much that cooking the file can add. A bit of vignetting, a bit of distortion correction for UWA lenses, maybe - and the lens type in EXIF. That is all.

There is no subtle magic going on, I fear.

ZM lenses are no different in this respect, purely optical designs; there will not be a discrepancy.

To be clear, lenses designed for digital cameras like the SL. Q and CL, and other brands, have the digital corrections taken into consideration during the optical design - that is a completely different situation.

• Like 1

The lens profiles that Leica provides for Leica lenses are designed to preserve the rendering of the lens as it was originally intended to be, not just correct deficiencies of the imaging induced by use of the lens on a recording medium it was not designed for. 

So with this high highfalutin 'original lens rendering' how did Leica ever overcome the problem of people putting different types of film into their cameras? Damn that pesky independent thought process that some humans can be prone to. 

You know it is rubbish even with digital, as soon as you see a high contrast shot in your minds eye, or wanting a sunburst flare, or translating the image into B&W, what does 'preserving the rendering' matter, unless you automatically stand up and make a salute to Leica every time you take a photograph?

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

So with this high highfalutin 'original lens rendering' how did Leica ever overcome the problem of people putting different types of film into their cameras? Damn that pesky independent thought process that some humans can be prone to.

Whew, that went far over my head! I find it disturbing if a lens can be correct only with proprietary digital post exposure processing. Is that what you mean?

Edited by pico

Whew, that went far over my head! I find it disturbing if a lens can be correct only with proprietary digital post exposure processing. Is that what you mean?

The rendering is correct if it makes the images you want it to make, not what proprietary software is telling you it should be. Do you remember putting different sorts of film into your camera because you wanted the image rendered in a certain way? Maybe you don't, but either way it overrode the 'perfection' of every single lens that Leica could make. You wanted to mess up the 'perfect' lens performance by putting 1600 ISO film in and do a bit of dodging and burning when printing, well it used to be a valid choice, now 'photographers' are more and more beholden to the whip of lens profiles. 

Edited by 250swb