M2 film loading mechanism and changing film mid roll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find it much easier to change film mid roll and to put it back in M2 style of loading. I am able to load it more precisely and not lose more than one frame (to be safe) in one unload/load cycle.

With all the stuff I read about how inconvenient, M2/M3 style film loading is, to the contrary, I find it more precise and easy. Not fast though but then motor winders with auto loading mechanism will be faster than any M.

Anyone else feel that way?

• Like 2

I have both kinds of film loading M’s and also prefer the earlier film loading. In addition to finding it more reliable, I do not notice that it takes particularly long to load a film, probably because practice has made it a relatively unconscious and fast operation these days.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. M2/M3 loading mechanism is my favourite of all. It's 100% secure and reliable, and zero slippage or uncertainty. I use an M2 regularly and I know, when I reach the end of the roll, that's that. Never any problem. Takes more time and trouble to load my M5.

• Like 2