Leica IIIa image artifacts/anomalies #1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And now for my Leica IIIa - just finished a film (Tri-X 36 shots), developed myself - exposures over a few months (from February till a couple of days ago)

On a few pics (approx 6 out of the 36) there appears to be a "fogging"? affect - it appears to be very similar in all exposures - there is a repeated "leafing" in the upper right hand corner plus areas of fogging?/loss of detail.

After all the pics were scanned it became obvious (from my logbook) that the affected images were ones where the film had been wound on & not exposed for a few weeks then taken at a later time (ie first shot of a new later session) - are we dealing with light leaking in during storage (between exposures) & affecting the film before the shot was taken on that frame or changing the lens in between exposures? While the camera is not being used & don't keep a cap on the lens - maybe I should be doing that - that could be the source of the problem??

The remaining pics look fine - I'm impressed - it's an 83 yo camera (1935 model).  Any help/ideas would be appreciated

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, probably light creeping in through the blinds over time if you leave the lens cap off during storage. Also if you leave the camera with the shutter wound ready for the next exposure that is not the best thing to do, better to leave it in the fired position so as not to leave shutter springs tensioned.

On the other hand I was told only yesterday by a very experienced Leica repair man that leaving the lenscap on for long periods traps air inside that could result in fungus or other damage.

Play with your lenses, taken the caps off, move the diaphragm and focussing, and play with the cameras, wind and fire them to keep them happy.

• Like 1