Getting a MATE - pure GAS or simply very smart?

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To the second issue (loose aperture ring)... this is easily cured with, if memory serves, a 0.7mm Allen (hex) wrench.

I had the Mk 2 and had more trouble with it that any other lens.

It had to go back to Leica once because it locked up and wouldn’t change focal length. It also went back, I think three times, because the aperture ring lost its indents and the aperture would change without me knowing it. Each time it came back it would eventually fail again.

I had the Mk 2 and had more trouble with it that any other lens.

It had to go back to Leica once because it locked up and wouldn’t change focal length. It also went back, I think three times, because the aperture ring lost its indents and the aperture would change without me knowing it. Each time it came back it would eventually fail again.

Yes, the issue with the aperture ring is related to the front becoming loose, possibly due to knocking the hood around or to mounting/unmounting it too vigourously. Mine was fixed once in Solms, along with a CLA and 6-bit coding, only for the issue to rear its head again a couple of years later. I then sent the lens to Will van Manen, who performed an undisclosed and invisible "mechanical modification", and it's now fine. 

To the second issue (loose aperture ring)... this is easily cured with, if memory serves, a 0.7mm Allen (hex) wrench.

It's indeed quite possible that the "mechanical modification" involved drilling slightly deeper holes for the set screws.

Never had any mechanical problems with my V2 in more than 15 years of use, and I have yet to encounter flare at 50mm, too. I do, however, use the original lens hood most of the time.

Andy

Same here. I obviously love my vers. 2 because it is the name of my avatar on the forum. I did flare a bit at the 50mm setting of my copy with the sun just outside of the image, not when the sun is in the image. Doesn't any more because now I change the regular hood for a cheap vented screw-in 49mm one from fleabay just for the 50mm setting, whenever I think of it and when the sun is in front of me and to the RIGHT and can't be blocked with my left hand.

btw I know a forum member from Berlin, who uses his on the SL (and on his CL, too) most of the time. His wife uses a second Vers. 2 copy very often.

But if Steve-Lee likes carrying a huge zoom, while making sombody else happy, why not :)

Simon

Edited by tri

Forgot to mention: it's used with film.

If I was to buy a digital today (which is not planed) it would be a Q or a IIIR with a Batis 25 and I'd crop. Don't think I need longer than 50-60mm or shorter than 28. Before Genesis Salgado didn't either, and who am I... to shlepp a big bag lol.

Edited by tri

I purchased my V1 MATE new in 2001. It mostly stayed on my M6 until I got an M8 and then it moved to that camera. It is now on my Monochrom. I have never had a mechanical problem with it on any of those three cameras. Additionally, I have used it from time to time on my M5, M4-P and M2. Again, no problems. It has been an enjoyable lens to use and I have been pleased with the images it has produced over the last 17 years. If I feel I may need a faster lens, I will also take along a 50 Summilux or 35 Summicron.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi again... long time!

I never got to look at the MATE described initially in this thread... it was mint, boxed and very promising... but it was v2, located in a neighbouring country and due to the perfect condition it was very expensive (appr  4200,- euros). Sold through Leica dealer though...

But just a week ago another used MATE showed up in a reputable camera shop in my own country. Used (not mint), not boxed, but v2 and at a price of appr. 2000,- euros (is this a fair price?). I bought it and received it yesterday. Haven`t got to really testing it, but in my eyes it looks pretty much like new and it includes the wented (28cron/35lux like) metal hood ;-)... and with perfect clicks & focus. PS: focus is even, but a bit resistant comparde to my other lenses... is this how it ususally behaves? 

Really really happy. Now testing/shooting starts!

Regards, Stein

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 1

Congratulations, you’ll be very happy with the lens - it images beautifully.

So too I have a MATE v2, 6-bit coded, original hood, in beautiful condition.
There is great convenience of a very light (albeit longer) three-in-one lens.  
It renders beautifully on on my film M, M10 and Monochrom v1.
I generally don't find the maximum aperture of 4.0 to be a problem, but may well bring along a fast 50 (for low light and flare issues- see below). 
It is also a delight using such a marvel of engineering.

My main complaints with the lens are significant barrel distortion at 28mm and especially flare at 50mm (which can still be very unpredictable). The latter has, at times, completely ruined some series of photos.

Because I usually take out a 28 Summicron and whatever 50 takes my fancy, I have occasionally considered selling it as it gets much less use than it should.  Then I remember to take my medicine and realise what a crazy decision that would be 😁

Edited by MarkP

On 7/21/2018 at 11:42 PM, tri said:

Same here. I obviously love my vers. 2 because it is the name of my avatar on the forum. I did flare a bit at the 50mm setting of my copy with the sun just outside of the image, not when the sun is in the image. Doesn't any more because now I change the regular hood for a cheap vented screw-in 49mm one from fleabay just for the 50mm setting, whenever I think of it and when the sun is in front of me and to the RIGHT and can't be blocked with my left hand.

btw I know a forum member from Berlin, who uses his on the SL (and on his CL, too) most of the time. His wife uses a second Vers. 2 copy very often.

But if Steve-Lee likes carrying a huge zoom, while making sombody else happy, why not :)

Simon

I once took it on a boat trip up the river into a mangrove forest on a digital M.  I did my best to shield from flare at 50 between the hood (original) and using my hand as a further sunshade.  However the reflected light off the water ruined almost every photo at 50mm.  It is a very fickle lens at that focal length in anything but straightforward lighting.

I may look at an alternate hood to see if that helps.

I have also used it on the SL where flare at 50 is easier to see and rectify.

Edited by MarkP

On 6/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, MarkP said:

Congratulations, you’ll be very happy with the lens - it images beautifully.

So too I have a MATE v2, 6-bit coded, original hood, in beautiful condition.
There is great convenience of a very light (albeit longer) three-in-one lens.  
It renders beautifully on on my film M, M10 and Monochrom v1.
I generally don't find the maximum aperture of 4.0 to be a problem, but may well bring along a fast 50 (for low light and flare issues- see below). 
It is also a delight using such a marvel of engineering.

My main complaints with the lens are significant barrel distortion at 28mm and especially flare at 50mm (which can still be very unpredictable). The latter has, at times, completely ruined some series of photos.

Because I usually take out a 28 Summicron and whatever 50 takes my fancy, I have occasionally considered selling it as it gets much less use than it should.  Then I remember to take my medicine and realise what a crazy decision that would be 😁

Hi and thanks!

Really happy so far. One initial thought though is that what I will probably use the most... 28 and 50... are both this lensˋ weak spots?

On the other hand, good thing is... my kind of photography do not suffer significantly by neither flare nor distortion 😉

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 1

MATE flare at 50mm can ruin a picture

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good news, with digital M, we have second opportunity if the kinds of pictures allow

Shielding or moving a bit to avoid flare 😉

now better yet, I can check with LV if need be

• Like 1

The Tri-Elmar 28-35-50/4 is a lens i would not recommend on rangefinders due to this flare issue at 50mm, at least the first version (11890) i own. Now flare is visible on screen or EVF in LV mode of course so it is less of a problem on current digital Leica cameras, especially the CL on which it covers 42mm, 52mm and 70mm equivalent fields of view in a compact package thanks to the short built-in hood of the first version.

Edited by lct