New CV Nokton 50/1.2

feelssadman

Not surprising.

Being somewhat of a 35mm hoarder, I own a 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH (previous version), 35mm f1.4 FLE, the 2.4 Summarit, and a Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM. From a sharpness across the frame and resistance to flare standpoint, the Ultron has all the current Leica M line beat. It's one darn good lens.

• Like 3

At 1.2 maybe but this example, 2.8 near distance on TL2, confirms its sharpness – at one-third the cost of the 50 Summilux it's a real bargain and well worth having. Hope the 50 will be at the same level (one wishy-washy internet 'review' says it's an all time best 50mm lens).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview

My copy arrived on monday and I like it! :)

It has a little bit of back focus but nothing serious. There seems to be no focus shift, no flare problems so far(just some short tests). Sharpness stopped down is great, wide open just a little bit softer. On my M246 some test shots of the Spyder Lenscal ( https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyderlenscal/ ) showed a little bit of ghosting at f/1,2 but I'm not sure whether this is a lens problem or just user error.

Some shots with the Leica SL here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/289799-leica-sl-and-the-new-voigtl%C3%A4nder-nokton-1250-mm/

The only negative I could find so far is the 52 mm filter thread, which means a whole new set of filters.  :wacko:

And of course the lens hood which is not included.

Edited by mich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my verdict (sorry, in german):

Summary: A good lens but - wide opened - not a Summilux.

Wait, what ? I cant see any "bloom" on example images of this lens.

For a f1.2 lens its also amazingly sharp. Not that I care about sharpness too much, but thats no issue with this lens

I'm sure, that a lens hood will lessen reflections induced by that silly design with the silver ring. Same with all my Zeiss lenses. What happened to the old Bauhaus priciple 'Form follows function'?

I am not so much convinced, that reflections cause the 'blooming', 'ghosting' or 'bleeding' or whatever it may be called. In my opinion it is a characteristic of the lens caused by the extreme design. Of course, as I am no physicist, I can't backup this opinion with scientific facts. :)

You may call it Voigtländer glow and sell it as a feature! :D

I can see the problem only in extreme contrast situations (Black/white) at f/1,2, when I view the picture full size on my screen. Reduced to web size it is already a lot less obvious. At f/2 it is a negligible problem IMHO.

See 2 test shots, first at f/1,2, second at f/2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mich

Perhaps it is me, but the bokeh in the shots I have seen in this thread appear a little busy. If V was trying to create a less expensive noctilux experience it looks to me like it didn't work. As an alternative to the 50mm summilux, perhaps, but I have this lens, treasure it, and see no reason to add this Voigtlander to the stable.

Perhaps it is me, but the bokeh in the shots I have seen in this thread appear a little busy.

Even if it was everyone else against me, I'd still state this is absolutely gorgeous Bokeh. Its like a veil over the background.

And about "busy", yes all good Bokeh is "busy". Thats exactly whats great about prime lenses. Because completely featureless Bokeh is what zoom lenses (usually) have and its dead boring.

Yeah I have the 40/1.2 and unsurprisingly it doesn't render like a Leica. I much prefer the Summilux as well.

We discuss the 50 1.2 here.

No. It just goes down to 70cm. I prefer this design. 

Thanks, I kinda prefer it too because with the 35mm f/1.2 II, it was very annoying then it went past 0.7m and I'm just fumbling around with the focus ring trying to regain focus and ultimately missing the shot.  However, it is kinda nice to have the option to go to liveview and focus down to 0.5m for a change. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I am overwhelmed by the lustre of new equipment, but, since acquiring them, the Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon and the CV 50mm 1.2 Nokton remain in my bag, while the 35 and 50 Summilux remain on my shelf. Bit bigger, lens for lens, and without that Leica build (pretty close.)

Why? Image quality just seems better. The quality of the Distagon vs the FLE has been well documented here and elsewhere. I will not repeat it. The Nokton is better than the Summicron 50 wide open, has better bokeh all around, and seems sharper, to me, in the 2 to 4 aperture ranges.