New CV Nokton 50/1.2

feelssadman

The choice of a new lens so soon after the new 1,2/40 and so close in FL makes me doubt that it will behave similarly, as Gandy implies. What would be the point?

40 and 50mm are different.

I think both lenses were designed in parallel.

Voigtländer needed a fast modern 40mm lens beside the classic 1.4/40.

40mm is a nice focal length vor DSLM (nativ for Sony and M for adapters) and RF cams with 40mm framelines

The 1.2/50mm is a fast modern option for Leica M users.

I love my 40mm f1.2. But in fact: depth of field is different in 40mm and 50mm. From that point (dof) the 40mm f1.2 is more a '35mm Noctilux' or a '50mm f2':

40mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35mm 'Noctilux'

50mm f2.0

So - I'm happy to see how the 50mm will work in real. 

Source for pictures:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

If it's nearly working in that kind like the 40mm works and I will find a version which is coupling correct - I think I will buy it.  :)  Hope it wont be to pricey...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

While 40 is obviously not 50, it isn’t so significantly different as a 35. Wondering how it will differentiate itself from the existing 1,1/50.

Until it’s available, who knows!

I’m only guessing, but the CV 50mm f1.1 seems to be intended as a budget alternative to other fast M mount lenses with none of the aesthetic qualities and all of the disadvantages and more.

If CV have learnt their lesson that trying to make a fast 50mm silk purse from a sow’s ear is not going to be generally well received, then the new f1.2 will be a much better lens to follow CV’s more recent very good alternatives to Leica lenses.

None of the UK dealers I have enquired with have any idea of when this new CV 50mm f1.2 will appear.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 1.2 should actually let you get about as shallow as a 50 1.5.

Also bear in mind that if you're actually doing the math and including the distance to the subject from the focal plane, the reported focal lengths of these lens have been found to be inaccurate under actual testing. The 40 1.2 on Sony E for instance is closer to 43mm.

Maybe this new lens will be a keeper (the 40 1.2 certainly is, in my opinion), but there are so many good options at 50. The same wasn't true of 40.

Edited by Lonescapes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the f1.1 will loose, it was not very beloved - but why not, it has/had it's fans...

The new line from CV 1.2/40 and this 1.2/50 for me is very exciting :wub:

Not looking for winners or losers. E.g., I wouldn't say the Noctilux 50/1.0 loses to the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH. But their differences are interesting - to me, at least.

• Like 2

Not looking for winners or losers. E.g., I wouldn't say the Noctilux 50/1.0 loses to the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH. But their differences are interesting - to me, at least.

Ah, o.k., sorry for misunderstanding ;)

I wanted to say, that the new 1.2/50mm is a new, modern lens, while the 1.1/50 is a "classic" lens with a special look.

So they will not be comparable, like the Nokton classic 1.4/40 and the new Nokton 1.2/40 too.

• Like 1

Technical specificaction:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otho