Single Coated UV Lens Filter or Multi-Coated?

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are several posts about the merits of using UV filters for protection and how such filters may or may not degrade image quality.  I'm posing this question not to restart that debate but I am curious to know your opinions on whether there is any benefit to using B+W multi-coated filters over B+W single coated.  I read that MC filters signficantly increase the potential for flare so you should go with single coated.  Thanks in advance for your comments.  

...  I read that MC filters signficantly increase the potential for flare so you should go with single coated.  Thanks in advance for your comments.  

I would guess that there is some kind of misunderstanding involved here, as the primary reason for employing multicoating on glass surfaces is to significantly decrease the potential for flare. Adding more air to glass surfaces (e.g. when using a filter) is always inherently bad, but multicoating helps in minimizing the negative effects.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

In my experience, MC very slightly increases contrast compared to single coating, which in turns preserves a very slightly broader tonal range than with MC.

But with modern coatings, the difference is extremely marginal anyway.

I never noticed a difference in terms of propensity to flare - but I never ran a comprehensive test either...

No issue for me. Have been using multi-coated B+W filters for years w/o issues.

Albert  :D  :D  :D

I find single coated filters give much stronger "ghost" reflections of highlights with dark backgrounds.

I would guess that there is some kind of misunderstanding involved here, as the primary reason for employing multicoating on glass surfaces is to significantly decrease the potential for flare. Adding more air to glass surfaces (e.g. when using a filter) is always inherently bad, but multicoating helps in minimizing the negative effects.

Cheers, Andy

In my experience, MC very slightly increases contrast compared to single coating, which in turns preserves a very slightly broader tonal range than with MC.

But with modern coatings, the difference is extremely marginal anyway.

I never noticed a difference in terms of propensity to flare - but I never ran a comprehensive test either...

Thanks to all of you.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read that MC filters signficantly increase the potential for flare so you should go with single coated. .  

Please quote us where you read that, the justification would be fascinating to read. MC and then the even better MRC filters from B+W are amongst the best you can get, they do not promote flare.

I read that MC filters signficantly increase the potential for flare so you should go with single coated. 

Quite the opposite. More coated surfaces results in lesser reflection, greater transmission.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Real world results are so close with single and multi coated as to be negligible except in certain situations mentioned by others.  I would not hesitate to use a single coated filter but if I am buying new I would buy multicoated.  So much is made of the latest-greatest technology, especially with filters, the manufacturers hype the smallest change as having great significance.  

• Like 1

I agree that 'real world' situations won't often show up too many problems with a single coated over a multi coated filter, but the hype surrounding the MRC filters is justified, but not because of flare resistance. They are a dream to clean and the coating tough as nails so they are ideal for using in dirty or wet conditions or for leaving Leica's pathetic lens caps at home and rely on the filter for it's suggested use, protection.

And then there are the plastic filters by prominent names such as Lee and Formatt with no coatings, often times used for landscape, into the sun at rise or set. Also with huge air space, light can spill through, unfiltered, ruining images only with long exposures.

Uncoated and plastic is a recipe for disaster but somehow it works, go figure!

I agree that 'real world' situations won't often show up too many problems with a single coated over a multi coated filter, but the hype surrounding the MRC filters is justified, but not because of flare resistance. They are a dream to clean and the coating tough as nails so they are ideal for using in dirty or wet conditions or for leaving Leica's pathetic lens caps at home and rely on the filter for it's suggested use, protection.

And the newest nano-coated ones even better - the don't even get dirty ;)   Well they do,  but significantly less and are even easier to clean.

Please quote us where you read that, the justification would be fascinating to read. MC and then the even better MRC filters from B+W are amongst the best you can get, they do not promote flare.

I looked through my browsing history on my iPad and could not find the source.  It was not in a forum but a photography website.  I've alway used B+W MRC Nano but got cheap and impulsively ordered a single coated.  I rethought the decision and did some research and found that website but can't find it now.  All the responses here reinforce the MRC is the way to go so I returned the SC and got the MRC.  

Edited by RayD28
  • Like 1