Macro on M9

nutmeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I use a Canon 5d2 as amateur for everyday pics and for pictures of knife blades and sharpening stones I show on other forums and sell on Ebay.

Before I pull the trigger on the M9 and sell the Canon I need to know a bit about the macro capabilities of the M9.

Here are the kind of pictures that are useful for me..

Do you guys think I could easily get this results (or maybe outperform them?!) with an M9 and a single lens?

1) The kind of product pictures I make the most:

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_54f7.jpg

2) the kind of pictures I need sometimes:

IMG_4819.jpgfotos hochladen für foren

Thanks for your input!

Of course you can - using the right gear: :D It will outperform your present camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would suggest that using your 5D is more straightforward.

However, using an M240, EVF and any macro lens on adapter will work easily as well.  :)

• Like 6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your inputs!

the m9 has been ordered but I guess the best is to keep the 5d2 in a first time.

I have both Canon and Leica kits and would never think of parting with either. Each serves a completely different purpose. The Canon is like a truck in that it will do a world of different tasks and do them competently. The Leica is like a sports car in that it’s uses are much more limited but it excels in areas that a truck simply cannot venture. As the Brits says “hourses for courses”. Keep them both.

To be honest it is not 100% true about M9 and product photography. I do photograph another cameras with M-E.
All I do is nothing new. It is called extension tube. I have one with M39 threads and I have plenty of LTM lenses.
Those tubes are still sold on eBay by FSU sellers. Not expensive due to low interest. 50mm I-61 L/D FSU LTM lens cost next to nothing.

38645736701_bcfda9d6e1_o.jpg

Couple of more here.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Using an M for macro and close-up tabletop photography is possible and can produce excellent results. The M models which supply Live View (M/M-P typ 240, M typ 262, MM typ 246, and M10) are the right cameras to have for this work as you can adapt a variety of lenses to them and focus accurately with the LCD or Visoflex EVF optional accessories. Models not equipped with Live View can be used with the Visoflex reflex viewfinder accessory as jaapv has shown and lenses can be adapted to that. There is also the option of obtaining and using the Leica BEOON copy stand for this sort of work, which permits photographing small flat or three dimensional things in the range from 1:1 to 1:3 magnification using a standard Leica 50mm lens. 

BUT this is an area of photographic endeavor to which a TTL camera, either EVF or SLR, is both much more suited and more efficient in use. It is for primarily this reason that I purchased the Leica CL body after I sold the SL. Turns out that I do a lot of photography in this domain and using something that is efficient and versatile proves quite important. 

Edited by ramarren

Of course you can - using the right gear: :D It will outperform your present camera.

I once owned a 5d2, also because of macro intentions with the Elmarit 60 R. I sold it after a year or so and do it now with exactly the set that jaapv shows. A visoflex iii with the head of the Tele-Elmar 135 on bellows and/or several types of adapters depending on how close you want to come. I don’t see any problems with that. For macro’s that close as you show you’ll have to work with tripod anyway and with moving the object rather than the camera to focus and compose. But I must say that I love the M9 sensor more than what I’ve seen elsewhere (Canon, Sony, M10).

There is one disadvantage to this procedure: dust on the sensor is more visible because of small apertures and dust comes more often on the sensor when you work with the visoflex and its bouncing mirror.

Edited by otto.f